full mod package

RedHell

Hi guys,

How about putting online, available to all, a full mod package. That is a game data file with the best of KSP compatible with the latest ver.

I loved the game the way i had it before the first contract update. It was great, lovely graphics with the visual mods and add a bunch of utils, parts, and stuff all working fine. Since then i lost all fun with the game, mainly because of faulty or incompatible mods....

If someone has got it right, the sequence, working mods, whatever, why not share it....

Thanks

HI, sorry to say this has been brought up many times and every time dismissed, why? simply because any decent mods are constantly updated so the mods in the pack would need constant updates and second because all the various addon creators would have to be contacted and their agreement sought, you may have noticed that 90% of addons for KSP come with a license, in some cases the licenses are very restrictive. I for one would not relish the job of just keeping up with the updates to even a couple of popular packed mods never mind a complete pack

Welcome to the forums!

If your modded install isn't working, the first thing to try is updating all of your mods and removing any mods that haven't been updated for the new version of KSP. You can follow updates for your mods by subscribing to their forum threads, following them on KerbalStuff, or using Add-on Version Checker. It's also a good idea to bookmark all the threads.

As SpannerMonkey said, mod packs have been suggested numerous times. For KSP, they're really not necessary because mods are relatively easy to install and mostly compatible with each other. Also, it's difficult to create modpacks for KSP because licenses are required and enforced – anyone creating a mod pack would need to ensure that each license permitted redistribution, and they would need to provide support for those mods independently of the original authors. The closest to mod packs we get are mod lists like Realism Overhaul or Astronomer's Pack.

If you're having problems keeping up with mod development you might want to bookmark http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library. It isn't always up to date and it isn't always complete but it does give you a listing of the most popular mods including links to their respective threads.

The problem with mod packages is not just the licensing or keeping them updated, it's also their contents. I prefer a certain selection of mods but I do not want others. The mods I use are MY choice and might not suit other players. The sheer number of mods makes for an unimaginable number of combinations. Picking exactly the pack YOU want would possible be harder than just downloading the individual mods.

More importantly, there *is* no "best of KSP mods". Different people like different things, in many cases wildly different things; MechJeb is probably among the 2 or 3 most used mods (certainly, I'd be surprised if it were anywhere below 5), and yet many of those who don't use it rather strongly dislike it and wouldn't want any mod package including it.

I'm not sure licensing is as big an issue as it might seem; while CC licenses with SA, ND, or NC terms, and the GPL, impose restrictions on derivatives, it's not clear a modpack would fall under those terms, because neither license considers distributing a bunch of separate unmodified things as a single group (e.g. as one download, on the same CD, etc.) to trigger copyleft clauses or the ND clause. But there are some mods under non-CC/GPL/BSD/MIT/other free licenses, which don't allow redistribution at all.

Edited by cpast

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

What about the following info:

I also don´t use x64 because its too slow, even at lowest grpahic settings, don´t know why... I have windows 8 and a nice hardware setup (Core i7 + geforce GTX 870M)

One more thing, in x64 the game runs, with bugs but it runs, in the standard version it crashes before it loads up...

Thanks

Edited by RedHell

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.