On-screen feedback message for action groups in flight

I occasionally use action groups for time sensitive items like parachute deployment and also to control inaccessible parts during flight. If the part is hidden behind a fairing or sandwitched between several large fuel tanks, its almost impossible to check its status (ie SAS torque ON or OFF) during flight.

An easy fix would be to add an onscreen message, similar to the "transmitting data [80%]..." science messages, to let me know what I just did with my action key. Maybe something like "R.A.P.I.E.R. engine mode switched to AIR BREATHING" for instance.

I second this idea. It'd be nice to know that your button press registered and the thing you're trying to do is getting done. It also would be nice to have some sort of something to remind you what you bound to the keys. I sometimes forget what action group did what if I leave a spacecraft alone for too long.

Edited by Menecroth
rewording

Thirded. Particularly irritating because it seems that some action groups don't always go on the first keypress.

The same particularly to landing gears and 'g' key, I have ALWAYS to press it twice to make it work :huh:, it looks like some stupid kerbals literally kill the button by pressing it to death when trying to land !

• 1 year later...

This is a rather old thread, but still what is suggested here would be very helpful. I'd add something to remember action groups configured on vessels launched long time ago.

Spoiler

You may know this by now, when a rocket is launched gears are assumed to be extended regardless the "start retracted" status. Check the gears status icon on the left of the altimeter. The first keypress just retract them. This is clearly a very old bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.