[1.0.2] One-Eye Industries- Back in Action! [v1.1]

OrbitusII

I've integrated your craft into my space program and made my first efficiency analysis as I fancy to call it. What i mean by integrated is that I made the design functional with what i usually like to use for LKO supply runs.

First observations while building in VAB:

-There was no TAC life support storage, i'm not sure if it is a fault on my part but TAC and MM are updated on my game so i just added the TAC figures for a medium waste and supply hexcan to the OCS.cfg in between the 2 brackets in the bottom.

-There was no KAS or KIS supply available, not sure again if it is a fault on my end with the mods but since I have just installed KAS on 1.0.2 and havent tested the stuff.

Setup:

-DP-10 antenna and V-ODA backup antenna from Tantares to have omni comms relay and not have to bother about any remote tech crap at all

-4x P-3 1x3 Solar panels from Tantares (the ones used for the ATV, in the same configuration, i thought it was logical)

-4x SO-2 RCS lined up around the center of mass, 2x SO-2 RCS on top and bottom placed vertically for docking.

Launcher: Ariane 4 from Tantares (I really like Tantares :P ) gets pretty much anything in orbit.

PcrtUKE.png

ZqjlSUL.png

XHQj0kn.png

yFhMLCH.png

4KEBex7.png

Final Observations:

-Sauron cannot dock with KSO or KSS docking ports, guess i'll try it with the stock docking port but i cannot use the Sauron for supply contracts.

-Very odd thing, there is no sound while in space, not even the Chatterer sounds... but then i guess that makes it super realistic!

-The Cargo craft looks just like my rain collector barrels in the garden and now my girlfriend is mad at me because i'm planning to send our rain collector barrels into space :P

Thanks for this mod, there is a lot of work to do but i think you're off to a good start and it looks damn good you're actually pretty good with texturing, I'm keeping it :).

I was bored today, so I made you a rendering:

http://i.imgur.com/7bXXTp3.png

Very nice! Would you allow me to use it as the main image on the front page?

I've integrated your craft into my space program and made my first efficiency analysis as I fancy to call it. What i mean by integrated is that I made the design functional with what i usually like to use for LKO supply runs.

I'm glad you like it despite the issues! :P

The KAS and TAC LS configs are outdated, but I can work on getting them updated in the next few days.

The docking port issue is a simple idea but a complicated explanation: Sauron Docking Ports are only compatible with other Sauron Ports because of how I set them up.

iOdEisP.gif

The little retractable probe shown in this gif is on every Sauron port and causes it to operate like a probe/drogue docking port system as seen in the Soyuz and Apollo spacecraft.

Related Diagram:

Jf2TzwN.jpg

The docking ports are fully functional when used together in opposing states (indicated by the light on the side: green = probe deployed, orange = probe retracted) but are very tricky to dock successfully. While ports in Stock and KSO have their nodes positioned on the front of the port, the Sauron ports have their nodes at the tip of the probe and the bottom of the drogue to simulate the probe/drogue system of the diagram above.

Probe Retracted: node at the bottom of the drogue

uod0JGi.png

Probe Extended: node at the tip of the probe

IDHALvl.png

In these pictures, the little white cube is the docking node location defined in the config file. It's no small task to get it lined up and docked properly, especially considering the acquisition range and force values are reduced from stock ports (range is 0.1 and force is 0.5 versus the stock values, which are significantly higher) and the collider setup only provides a very small area for the probe to move, requiring your docking to be incredibly accurate for fear of bouncing off. So, if you aren't lined up both positionally and rotationally docking is very unlikely.

I'd recommend using a stock or KSO port on your future cargo craft since those are a lot more forgiving and better-tuned than this. The docking port was a proof-of-concept more than anything and it's quite difficult to use properly. I won't deny I'm happy with how it works, but the model revamp will come with a much better version, specifically a dedicated probe port and a dedicated drogue port.

Edited by OrbitusII

A rain collector barrel? Kekeke!

Oh yeah, I live by the way. Sadly I'm separated from my real computer. So while I can't play KSP, Autorealm still works. I cannot confirm or deny rumors that I've created an entirely different space race and more arts...

(If you need me to elaborate on concept art stuff LMK. Also, maybe replace Sauron with a tweakable flag? :P )

A rain collector barrel? Kekeke!

Oh yeah, I live by the way. Sadly I'm separated from my real computer. So while I can't play KSP, Autorealm still works. I cannot confirm or deny rumors that I've created an entirely different space race and more arts...

(If you need me to elaborate on concept art stuff LMK. Also, maybe replace Sauron with a tweakable flag? :P )

It's good to see you're still around! I might be more inclined to fix up these old parts if I knew I wasn't going to be working on a new set of models any time soon, but I've got some work in progress and it looks much more promising. :P

Here's the link to the development thread (which also sports the new brand name): CycloTech Parts Development

And here's the part preview I put on that thread:

23nEI4X.png

More info is on that thread and I'll be doing progress updates there exclusively from now on. Let me know what you think, since your work was what got me started on this!

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.