[1.0.2] One-Eye Industries- Back in Action! [v1.1]

OrbitusII

Crew Capsule WIP:

The Capsule and its fairings are all one part. Getting the decouplers set up is a little tricky (two on one part) so I might make the top fairing separate.

Textures are all incomplete, I haven't even UV mapped the capsule or top fairing.

Can you maybe add a manned version of this spacecraft?

Yep! That's what I'm working on in the video above.

Edit: Size comparison of the stock Mark 1-2 Pod and the OneEye Capsule:

K3oyxiN.png?1

It's totally going to hold 3 Kerbals. It's gonna be cramped, but it will fit 3 Kerbals for sure.

Edited by OrbitusII

So you know, that capsule was actually meant to be circular (Vostock style) with a little knob on the top :P

I was having trouble getting it to the shape I wanted (especially with the heat shield) so I opted to go with a Soyuz-style pod as a temporary thing. It should be back to circular by the time I release it. Still, I will have to take some artistic liberties to get everything working well together. :wink:

Also, I like the faring you've got but the original intent (may be a real pain in KSP was to have a Soyuz-style LES. To the best of my knowledge that's never been done and may well be impossible.

Actually, it might be. I'll get you a drawing tonight--I have a neat idea! :cool:

Also, I like the faring you've got but the original intent (may be a real pain in KSP was to have a Soyuz-style LES. To the best of my knowledge that's never been done and may well be impossible.

Actually, it might be. I'll get you a drawing tonight--I have a neat idea! :cool:

I think Bobcat's old Soyuz mod actually does have the LES used on real Soyuz rockets, so it's definitely possible. It's a little more complex but if you look at, say, the stock NERVAs, the fairings used here would effectively work the same.

Ah, now I can start on the solar panels, so are you ready to help me make them?

Sure! I'll send you a PM shortly. Have you looked up any Blender tutorials to learn basics? I tried teaching people how to use it last year but I'm not a good teacher, so if you have then that would be awesome. :P

Orbitus, here's some doodles on how to get soyuz-style LES capable fairings

FpnLRlb.jpg

Fairing consists of several parts

1: A base (2 large nodes plus 2 nodes on the side to attach fairings)

2: 2 upper sections of the fairing. These DO NOT attach to the lower set of fairings. Rather, they attach to 2 side nodes on the parachute module (see below) of the capsule. This allows the fairing to cut in half like Soyuz does. (You'd set up the action groups to activate the pod decoupler and the LES. This takes the pod AND the upper part of the fairing).

In this picture, the parachute (orange) would also have 2 more floating nodes (not shown) out to the side to attach the upper part of the fairing. Note how the stack parachute actually attaches inside the sphere. The grey base below the pod is an adapter and decoupler.

ZAAsS7z.jpg

The fairing layout (roughly)--I've ommitted all details including grid fins.

M0LxWPe.jpg

Orbitus, here's some doodles on how to get soyuz-style LES capable fairings

http://i.imgur.com/FpnLRlb.jpg

Fairing consists of several parts

1: A base (2 large nodes plus 2 nodes on the side to attach fairings)

2: 2 upper sections of the fairing. These DO NOT attach to the lower set of fairings. Rather, they attach to 2 side nodes on the parachute module (see below) of the capsule. This allows the fairing to cut in half like Soyuz does. (You'd set up the action groups to activate the pod decoupler and the LES. This takes the pod AND the upper part of the fairing).

In this picture, the parachute (orange) would also have 2 more floating nodes (not shown) out to the side to attach the upper part of the fairing. Note how the stack parachute actually attaches inside the sphere. The grey base below the pod is an adapter and decoupler.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAAsS7z.jpg

The fairing layout (roughly)--I've ommitted all details including grid fins.

http://i.imgur.com/M0LxWPe.jpg

Sheesh! This is more complex than I thought! While doing something like this is definitely possible, I'm going to opt for something simpler for the sake of usability. I am, however, doing the opposite for the capsule and I need to fix that. :P It's a pretty complex shape rather than a simple sphere like you have there so I'll redo that (again :P).

A straight-up two piece fairing with a hole on top for the LES would work too :P

Yeah, since that's what I've got working now it's what I'm going to stick with. Since it looks like the crafts are going to be in the fairings there will be a small redesign of the fairings, but it won't be too bad.

Nice drawings once again Sauron! Also hopefully expect the solar panel model to be done by tommorow, Hopefully. And it'll be done later then that, because Orbitus II will do the Unity, Config, and texture magic which is to complex for me, as this solar panel is the first model I've ever done.

Making progress on the manned variant and fairings. Because there will be nice fancy shrouds the engine fairings are switched to some struts in the style of the actual Soyuz. The base of the shrouds (the thing the engines are "attached" to) is also a 2.5m adapter and will be the only fairing base until I get some launcher parts done.

nz6b2bk.png

It's probably gonna be a little while until it's ready to use.

Edited by OrbitusII

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.