[1.0.2] MoonMining [v2.1.0]

Thurak

This mod allows you to mine platinum from Mun and Minmus, using Karbonite drills.

Download:

Download Here

Requirements:

Karbonite - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89401

Also requires module manager, not included because required mods include it.

Recommended:

Extra Planetary Launchpads - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v3-4

EPL -> Regolith - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774-90-%28V-30%29-ExtraPlanetary-Launchpads%28EPL%29-Regolith-Adaptation-%282-4-15%29

http://i.imgur.com/yhrfS94.png

http://i.imgur.com/oEtGROw.png

http://i.imgur.com/vfvThh1.png

Balance is still WIP and I would like input for that, I have used realistic values for density under the assumption that 1 unit of resources = 1L, and for value that 250 USD = 1 Kerbal Kredit. I hope to also add more moons in the future after balancing the current ones.

Edited by Thurak
Fix link

It is 1.5million, I have not got to high end contracts yet but briefly looked on google to get an idea of what missions rewarded further on and based it off that. Remember that it takes a lot of power/time to extract a worthwhile amount. Yes you could just time accelerate overnight with 1000 containers and have plenty of cash, but that is just like you could time accelerate with KSP Interstellar to get infinite science on the launchpad. Kerbin is the only place you cant extract any precious metals from.

It is 1.5million, I have not got to high end contracts yet but briefly looked on google to get an idea of what missions rewarded further on and based it off that. Remember that it takes a lot of power/time to extract a worthwhile amount. Yes you could just time accelerate overnight with 1000 containers and have plenty of cash, but that is just like you could time accelerate with KSP Interstellar to get infinite science on the launchpad. Kerbin is the only place you cant extract any precious metals from.

My bad :P You actually have 15 million in your orginal post (which is where i got that from) think you forgot a decimal point.

But 1.5 million does seem alot more reasonable. :)

Just like any ORS resource, the metals will be everywhere, ORS is concetration based, so you can land anywhere, and you will get some, it might be real slow, but you will get some.

Thurak, it might be a good idea to add a MM config that adds Precious Metal Scanning to the Karbonite antenna.

It would look something like this.

@PART[KA_DetectionArray_01]:NEEDS[Karbonite]
{
MODULE
{
name = ORSResourceScanner
resourceName = PreciousMetals
mapViewAvailable = true
}
}

Side note - you will probably want to move this to CRP down the line (it's hitting prime time with the next MKS launch, because I have to move all of my stuff to it). Then you can just reference the ORS maps directly, unless you're making custom ORS maps?

Side note - you will probably want to move this to CRP down the line (it's hitting prime time with the next MKS launch, because I have to move all of my stuff to it). Then you can just reference the ORS maps directly, unless you're making custom ORS maps?

I believe they using the standard Ore map from the MKS , but they are all renamed to preciousmetals, so it shouldn't cause any funniness with other resources :)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Currently there is no Scanning for precious metals, but it uses the same ore maps that EPL->Karbonite uses for ores, and MKS also uses the same, although I am not sure what MKS uses them for. I will look into Scans tomorrow morning.

Currently there is no Scanning for precious metals, but it uses the same ore maps that EPL->Karbonite uses for ores, and MKS also uses the same, although I am not sure what MKS uses them for. I will look into Scans tomorrow morning.

Karbonite only has the Karbonite ones, MKS has the rest. But they are hefty, so if you're just using the same maps (btw, need to include that in your license as they are CC 4.0 and all that stuff, but may be a moot point in a bit), just reference the existing ones directly once CPS hits. Or use the Karbonite ones if you'd like, that way you don't have to distribute a new map set (unless you are making a new set, which is fine too :))

They have plusses and minuses. Plus of an existing set is it saves you the trouble of making them, is easier on the user's memory footprint, and it saves the headache of dealing with ATM and TR. Downside is that it's going to have stuff in the same place as other stuff. Reverse all of that for the case where you make your own maps.

Plus of a new resource is simplicity - this is a nice, simple mod and that rocks :) Downside is that SCANSat will not work with this (they have to add new resources into their code base, and probably would prefer they be more primitives or ones multi-use or part of CPS). Flipside of this is to use an existing ORS resource (minerals and Ore already have a commodity, but substrate does not) and add a converter (i.e. rather than pulling raw PreciousMetals from the ground, you have to sift the dirt first).

Again, all options :) I just like seeing folks being successful at making stuff.

I like the idea of a converter, trying to make one using ore, it will have a lower value than the ore its self does. 1000 worth of ore would only go into about 500 of precious metals, however the mass will be vastly reduced. I may also allow it to produce some metal, but much less than direct ore->metal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.