Lunar Lander Module v0.5 !Zooom!

spacep00se2

! Video not found

couple7HF8U.jpg

landertexturegameULJR6.jpg

landertexturePE21P.jpg

notes :

engines can only be selected by clicking on the pods (the thruster part itself can not be selected)

when attaching the SaS module -make sure its attached properly - there is some snapping between the top and bottom nodes as they are very close together

please report any issues you encounter

thanks !

[mod]This mod is out of date and has not been updated by the author since Aug 2011. Be warned that it does contain bugs.[/mod]

sstZx.jpg

Landed on the tower with the module. The issue I noticed so far is that the capsule doesn't actually attach to the CM, so if you turn too far it simply pops right off the top of the lander.

Wow amazing work, now you should animated when its the last component the legs pop out u can safely land it, just like the parachute.

Non the less amazing work, hope too see more in the future!

Really nice! You should replace the images in the first post with the new ones! :)

Hmm! Upon testing it does seem to be a bit unbalanced as it want's to tip over north all the time after launch.

Also, the ammount of fuel is very over the top!

Great work, with the model and the textures. I'm downloading now. Any chance I could see your collision mesh? I'm curious about the legs of the lander being apart of the model, do they conflict with tanks and boosters?

collisionmeshX5IN5.jpg

collision = pink :-*

the only conflict i ran into was due to the booster sitting inside the landers collision model

selection in the assembly is done by collision mesh bounding box ( why i added the capsule tanks as a handle)

should probably go back to a more simple collision mesh since the detail for the legs is not required/used ;D

Awesome design.

I was trying for a bit to land somewhere cool in the space center, but the subtleties of a soft landing seem to elude me.

The only thing that struck me as odd about the lander module was it's impressive fuel capacity for such a small package. Strap a vanilla liquid fuel engine on there and you can go pretty darn far!

ZDPQ7.png

Chaining a couple of those puppies together makes for a quite passable, albeit somewhat shaggy, rocket!

jbO8R.png

New Release - See Post 1

@ deltagear : can you post a screen ?

This is for the Engine component.

I'm going to look into the cfg file and see if I can change fix it and I'll let you know ;D

As for the collision model for the fuel tank, because the mesh has to be convex, the importer might be converting it to a convex shape during the import process. (Not sure how the importer works, just a guess) Which would explain why collision occurs when something is placed between the legs.

Maybe you could make the legs themselves a separate part, and add attachment nodes to the tank.

i see

convex / concave refers to the mesh normals right ? all ok normals / inverted normals ? silly term

gonna try >_>

edit : makes no difference

convex concave normals normal or inverted

if i move the mouse pointer between the legs (empty space) it will highlight the lander

using the bounding box for part selection is one ugly solution ;D

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/index.php?title=Part_Modelling_Guidelines#Collision_mesh_specifications

I think this is referring to the overall shape of the mesh. Because the collision mesh in the earlier picture is 4 'L' shaped blocks for the lander legs, the convex solution to that would be a 4-sided pyramid, with a square connecting the 4 feet of the legs.

Which would be why anything placed between the legs would cause a collision.

It's a bit hard to explain polygons in words, so here's a webpage I found that explains it with pictures.

http://regentsprep.org/Regents/math/geometry/GG3/Polygon.htm

tricky thing

actually its 1 solid mesh - extrudes sides for the legs

about your pyramid : doing that would cover up the entire bottom area of the lander would it not ?

if yes it would cause the same issue iam having now ( not sure if i get it right but if you could do a quick over-paint and show me the placement of that pyramid)

as long as there is collision mesh covering up functional parts they will not be selectable anymore

since my lander has 4 legs and they all need collision to function + the engine is sitting in the middle of it inside the collision (probably a special case scenario)

i dont think there is a fix for that at the moment

a convex collision mesh would cover up the space between the leg area anyways.

and thats what my model is doing either way even tho the mesh is different (why i say its the bounding box )

its still a very ugly way to do the selection of parts

and i hope it gets fixed rather sooner than later

its just too limiting