Race around the world !!!

Here my second update:

For the newest aircraft that I wil made is the LDAD III.

It will be the LDAD II with some big fixes like the ductape on the moter that\'s stop the propilushon of a moter and those things.

The LDAD II had maked more than 1.000.000m. With the LDAD III I thinking it will travel 25% farther.

The aircrafts that will made at the end the world across aircraft:

[succes] LDAD I

[succes] LDAD II

[in development] LDAD III

[ ] LDAD IV

[ ] LDAD V (the aircraft that will across whole Kerbin)

See you guys soon with my new update! ;)

Here my third update:

During the testing of LDAD III there was between the third and the fourth stage some problems.

The other tings of the aiprlane work perfect and it fly far!

So the airplane where I working on now is the LDAD IV, it will be the LAD III, but than without the problems, 2 bigger wings and some things to make it just a little bit better.

LDAD IV will fly far, I think my deadline of LDAD V will succes.

My next update will be about the LDAD IV and some things about the development of the legend airplane, the LDAD V.

So across Kerbin, almost done!

The aircrafts that will made at the end the world across aircraft:

[succes] LDAD I

[succes] LDAD II

[failed] LDAD III

[in development] LDAD IV

[ ] LDAD V (the aircraft that will across whole Kerbin)

See you guys soon with my new update! ;)

Stock - 2,202,015m distance,

flight time - 2hr 57min 42sec

So, I had an interesting trip.

Ship used all vanilla parts save for a Mechjeb, which I consider more of a grey area--it helps control (and babysit for almost three hours) the aircraft, but doesn\'t add thrust, etc. So I took off, burn up my climb tanks+engines getting to altitude and a bit beyond. Once those dropped, I quickly learned that one engine wasn\'t enough thrust to carry the weight of four fully laden fuel tanks, so Bill was forced to drop the secondary tanks or face certain death plummeting to the ground at a rate of -200m/s. The plane climbed back up to 9500m and I cruised from there.

The odd part was toward the end of the flight when I was ready to land. I cut the engines with 9.9kg fuel remaining to give me a bit of safety fuel finding a landing zone. The ground was pretty flat, so I was ready to land and dropped to around 400m. I had planned to burn off the remaining speed by flaring the plane and drag-land at 5m/s. Unfortunately, I\'d never tested that method with such high-aspect wings before--this is where I discovered an infinite glide glitch. Seemingly different than the control surface thrust glitch, the damn thing would never slow down. In fact, left to its own, it began to speed up and raise in altitude. It was the ultimate ground effect. Desperate, I piloted it for almost 40 more minutes waiting to see if anything would change to no avail. I even managed to pop off the engine on a landing attempt and that didn\'t solve my problem. Eventually, Jeb needed to take a pee, so I forced her down at 40m/s, killing all three crew members in a brilliant flash of rocket fuel and debris.

All in all, I made it more than half way around the world on stock parts and I consider this a successful KSP flight, despite everyone\'s deaths. =P

Flight Profile pics: https://imgur.com/a/2vTAm#0

TsSyx.jpg

bmt9o.jpg

My entry into the race.

I call it the LRA-1 and this was its first flight.

KSP2012-05-2312-23-39-67.jpg

A look from above and to the side.

KSP2012-05-2312-24-39-76.jpg

A look from behind and from the left.

KSP2012-05-2312-42-41-91.jpg

A view from below, after I dropped the first set of drop tanks.

KSP2012-05-2312-43-55-25.jpg

The second set of drop tanks after the drop.

KSP2012-05-2312-56-30-79.jpg

Third set of drop tanks are off.

KSP2012-05-2313-11-03-66.jpg

Whats a screenshot series without a sunset? :D

KSP2012-05-2313-24-36-96.jpg

Gliding? Whats gliding? ???

KSP2012-05-2313-26-14-33.jpg

Thank god for plan B\'s.

Distance achieved below.

KSP2012-05-2313-27-49-45.jpg

This plane flew for 1 hour, 8 minutes and 2 seconds. Max height was 9,842m with highest land speed was 379m/s and covered a total distance of 1,110,519m (1,110.5km). Ground distance covered was 1,103,601m (1,103.6km).

No mods, only stock parts, not even that Mechjeb thing and on the first attempt. This gets me 3rd place! Yay!

I think I could get this to go to 1,250km but with some modifications I should be able to nearly reach 2,000km with the basic design.

• 2 weeks later...

My entry into the single solid rocket booster event. No mods at all.

15,055m of ground covered.

Qo30V.jpg

Attached is the .craft file to validate my no mods claim.

Well, 10 km altitude seems restricting, Its lower than optimal height for the turbo jets. That forces people to use glide as much as possible and that leads to infinite glide glitch.

Good point, 15km ?

Difaly96, you seem to have entered my score into the Solid Booster event instead of the Single Solid Booster event. =P

I see for the image that theres more than only one SRB, i think you misunderstood the event, sorry:)

I see for the image that theres more than only one SRB, i think you misunderstood the event, sorry:)

There isn\'t..

If you download the .craft file you can verify it yourself. :)

Edit: It seems, from others attempts, that the event is to go as far as possible with a SRB as the only form of fuselage. It seemed that you were implying, by stating 'theres more than only one SRB' and '- Only one stock SRB, no stage', that the event was to only use one SRB as a form of propulsion, you might want to amend that. ;)

I shall re-enter the multi-SRB event at a later date.

There isn\'t..

If you download the .craft file you can verify it yourself. :)

Edit: It seems, from others attempts, that the event is to go as far as possible with a SRB as the only form of fuselage. It seemed that you were implying, by stating 'theres more than only one SRB' and '- Only one stock SRB, no stage', that the event was to only use one SRB as a form of propulsion, you might want to amend that. ;)

I shall re-enter the multi-SRB event at a later date.

You got a point, and i have changed the rules

Doing this challenge legit, without taking advantage of known glitches, it\'s certainly possible to get all the way around Kerbit...but it would take several hours. If I end up doing another run at some point, I\'ll push it to the limit and try to wrap the planet.

It is possible, I have just flown this stock craft all the way round Kerbin. It is designed to fly at 10km at low throttle, see screenies. Unfortunately I broke the altitude rule at one point as I left it unattended and the inclination was locked by ASAS so it hit 16000m but nevertheless I landed it twice and saved and took off again and brought it home to KSC today. I am keeping it beside the runway as a trophy so I dont have an end flight for it either (and F3 only loads info for flight since last reload) but here are some screenies for fun...

a) is some time after take off before first save.

B) is coming in for the second landing.

c) is map view some time after second take off, approaching KSC continent.

d) is crossing the mountains behind KSC and making final approach (I went round again twice).

e) is landed and stopped on the runway.

f) is space center report showing MET 9:35:12.

• 1 month later...

have been flying my plane for 2 hours 20 minutes so far, still plenty of fuel, it did cruise up a few hundred or so meters over 15000 whilst I wasn\'t paying attention though :-[ should I bother posting results when it lands?

EDIT* never mind that, posted anyway!

I used all stock parts aside from mech-jeb for managing the long flight, so i understand that it may not be within the rules given the 10000m mod rule, just thought I would share anyway, and let you decide whether or not this is still valid :)

At the beginning of the flight, the craft has 8500kg of fuel on board, and is actually very easy, if sluggish, to manoeuvre. but towards the end of the flight, when the tanks are drying up, it becomes rather unstable, and course corrections have to be done very carefully to prevent the craft from rolling uncontrollably from side to side. Mech-jeb almost always thoroughly screws this up, sending the plane into a spiralling descent and eventual crash, so all landing corrections had to be done manually.

cruising towards the end, very low thrust setting on the engines, zero degrees pitch, extremely easy to overshoot on altitude ( which i did do a couple of times! :-[ )

inflight.jpg

despite everything, still managed to land the craft intact! had there been kerbals on board they would undoubtedly have survived.

justlanded.jpg

the final flight stats, not too shabby if you ask me 8)

stats.jpg

4,425,606 meters! All the way around kerbin, and about 2/3ds the way to the north pole after that! I did overshoot 15k altitude by some 290m as the craft was built with higher altitudes in mind, but i got that under control within a minute or so. again, i will understand completely if this is not accepted as a valid entry :)

.craft file included, make sure you have mech-jeb installed if you want to try it out!

have been flying my plane for 2 hours 20 minutes so far, still plenty of fuel, it did cruise up a few hundred or so meters over 15000 whilst I wasn\'t paying attention though :-[ should I bother posting results when it lands?

EDIT* never mind that, posted anyway!

I used all stock parts aside from mech-jeb for managing the long flight, so i understand that it may not be within the rules given the 10000m mod rule, just thought I would share anyway, and let you decide whether or not this is still valid :)

At the beginning of the flight, the craft has 8500kg of fuel on board, and is actually very easy, if sluggish, to manoeuvre. but towards the end of the flight, when the tanks are drying up, it becomes rather unstable, and course corrections have to be done very carefully to prevent the craft from rolling uncontrollably from side to side. Mech-jeb almost always thoroughly screws this up, sending the plane into a spiralling descent and eventual crash, so all landing corrections had to be done manually.

cruising towards the end, very low thrust setting on the engines, zero degrees pitch, extremely easy to overshoot on altitude ( which i did do a couple of times! :-[ )

inflight.jpg

despite everything, still managed to land the craft intact! had there been kerbals on board they would undoubtedly have survived.

justlanded.jpg

the final flight stats, not too shabby if you ask me 8)

stats.jpg

4,425,606 meters! All the way around kerbin, and about 2/3ds the way to the north pole after that! I did overshoot 15k altitude by some 290m as the craft was built with higher altitudes in mind, but i got that under control within a minute or so. again, i will understand completely if this is not accepted as a valid entry :)

.craft file included, make sure you have mech-jeb installed if you want to try it out!

290 m will not give you much distance so offcorse i\'ll accept it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.