Would you go to space?

Javster

Would you go to space if you were given the chance?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to space if you were given the chance?

• YES
    • NO

Would you go to space if you were given the chance (this being a KSP forum, I expect 80-90% of people would vote yes)?

For what main reason?

Which spacecraft would you choose to go there? Assume nothing goes wrong (You can choose any spacecraft ever built, and if you want, you can add a planned spacecraft, but please choose one that has flown at least once before)

I'll answer my own question:

YES

IT'S SPACE WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO GO THERE

Also, in order of awesome: microgravity, Earth from space, science

(Only things I wouldn't like about it would be the nausea and the launch and the re-entry.)

I'd go on the space shuttle.

Edited by Javster
Added moar thingz

I'd say yes to a trip to space before they even managed to offer it to me, you know, if I were psychic or something...

For what reason? Exploration and science, plus the experience; I love space, simple as. I'm doing a geology course at uni so my very highest aspirations are the Moon and Mars (because they are going to need folks like I plan to be to go to other worlds), but I'd settle for LEO very happily.

Spacecraft... Dream Chaser to get into orbit, and Orion for the Moon, ARM, and Mars (though we'll need more than that tiny-ish capsule for trips to the Red Planet :P).

Yes, certain things would be tense and high-risk, but that's something I accept completely. For the chance to live my dream, practically anything is worth it.

Who voted no???

Anyway, of course I'd go. Not sure what ship I'd want to take though. The Russians haven't been making themselves too popular lately so I'll decline the Soyuz, and Apollo was a bit raw and not really suited to passengers. Maybe I'll take the Shuttle, and request to join a HST servicing mission. There's risks in that flight but seeing the greatest telescope around up close would be truly special.

I voted no. I guess my fear would be too great to go into space :(

There have been over 529 people in orbit and only 18 have died while on the way up, in orbit, or on the way back down. Of these 18, 14 have died aboard a space shuttle. The probability that you will die if you take a vehicle other than the space shuttle are pretty low.

Of course I would, 'cuz it's SPACE! I'd take any seat I can get my butt in, from Virgin Galactic through the capsule triplets (Dragon , CST-100, Orion) to Skylon or Mars One (my wife and kids may object but I'd get some peace and quiet; might even be cheaper than divorce lol), but I don't speak Russian.

Then, If I can find my mind-control amplifying helmet near the eight planet... Oops did I say that out loud?

The only reason I might not if given the chance is because my wife would probably kill me for doing something that risky (even though the ratio of space related deaths to successful flights is incredibly good).

There have been over 529 people in orbit and only 18 have died while on the way up, in orbit, or on the way back down. Of these 18, 14 have died aboard a space shuttle. The probability that you will die if you take a vehicle other than the space shuttle are pretty low.

529 to 18 ??? Lol that's a very scary ratio, basically a death wish. No thanks i stay on hard ground :)

I would definetly go to space, i would do nearly everything to get there. There are many reasons why:

No Gravity. Its impossible to feel it on Earth more than a couple seconds but it looks realy fun and i want to try it.

The View. I doubt there is anything comparable to seeing the Earth from space or even the moon

The Rockets. I love strong machines, engines and pyrotechnics, combined the are a rocket.

The G-Forces. I enjoy rollercoasters, im sure a launch or a reentry would feel awesome, too.

Im not sure which launchvehicle i would choose, but the Dragon or Orion capsules look nice.

Edited by Elthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.