Would you go to space?

Javster

Would you go to space if you were given the chance?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to space if you were given the chance?

• YES
    • NO

• 2 weeks later...
Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes. I would take Dragon V2 because it contains pure distilled awesome.

Would definitely be my second choice. Space Shuttle has more awesome IMHO.

Well, they both take 7 people, and they're both reusable, however, one is restricted to a handful of runways, whereas the other can land anywhere with helicopter like accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon V2 could land on top of a skyscraper in Manhattan. Which would be awesome.

All the Soyuz rocket crash videos I've seen, the rockets always plunge straight into the ground :P

Not sure about manned ones though.

If you're talking about the Proton failure last year, that's a deliberate decision to prevent damage to the launch site. If it had been blown when control was lost, it'd have taken out the entire pad.

The question here is, who wouldn't want to go to space?

Personally, I'd give everything I have just to spend six months sitting in the ISS's Cupola staring down at the Earth.

If you're talking about the Proton failure last year, that's a deliberate decision to prevent damage to the launch site. If it had been blown when control was lost, it'd have taken out the entire pad.

Didn't that rocket crash because someone installed an accelerometer upside-down?

Yes. Only on the ISS, and only with something safe and trusted, like the Soyuz. I wouldn't spend too much time in the Cupola, as looking down at the Earth would be quite unnerving, it would be a mega-version of the urge to jump while up high, like when on a tower. I would spend ages spinning around in Zero-G though.

I really want to go to Jupiter and its moon system. Yes, even after seeing Europa Report. Especially after seeing Europa Report.

I don't think a landing on Europa with anything but sterilized probes is a good idea, though, since if we're looking for life there, we don't want to contaminate anything with dirty spacesuits. Controlling a few submarine probes/surface rovers from orbit in real time (as opposed to on a 15-minute communication delay from Earth) could be very scientifically valuable in any case.

Other destinations I'd be totally down with would be Saturn (namely Titan and Enceladus), Ceres, low Earth orbit via spaceplane, or virtually anywhere save for Mercury (boring) or Venus (evil).

I've been having way too many space dreams lately.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.