Would you go to space?

Javster

Would you go to space if you were given the chance?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to space if you were given the chance?

• YES
    • NO

The question is... Can you personally withstand the physical stress of a rocket launch? And then the mental stress of being in a small tincan moving at 17,500mph?

Me? I'm in good physical condition so I might be okay for a launch. But I'm a bit on the claustrophobic side.

So no. I don't think I could do it. I can't even stand long car rides without getting stir crazy. If I can't fully stretch my legs out after a few hours I get very uncomfortable. Crew on the Soyuz gotta remain in the fetal position for eight hours. No way could I stand that.

Edited by Motokid600

Yes.

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

Probably I would go on the orion capsule, cause it is pretty roomy and nice.

I doubt it would be possible for me though, I am in no physical condition to do so. I am guessing I would pass out at mere 4G or so, seeing how some really tame roller coaster makes me really sick.

I say 'YES', because I would like to go, but I do not think it is a major ambition for me. Were I offered a cheap flight as a tourist, I would consider it, but I would far preffer to go and actually do something worthwhile as an astronaut, than float around peering out the window.

I'd go there.. if it was possible just to ride a space elevator.

I am really fascinated by it, but, from my experiences with theme parks and roller coaster, I porbably wouldn't want to take the risk of the extreme G-Forces during launch. And after reading books about human spaceflight, I don't think I'd feel safe knowing that my muscles are wasting, and could practically die of not exercising.

I would take a CST-100 on a ULA Vulcan to LEO, or take an Orion or Dragon to the Moon or Mars. Spaceplanes are the spacecraft most deaths related to space flight have happened on, I don't wanna go near them.

More failures have occurred on Soyuz flights than the Shuttle. But many people died on them...

More failures have occurred on Soyuz flights than the Shuttle. But many people died on them...

Its about the reliability, not absolute number. If Soyuz flew for a thousand years, a hundred failures might happen, but it still could have 99.9% reliability.

I'd go, if I was healthy enough. On whatever has the biggest windows & the wildest ride - if you're going to do it you might as well get the most out of it.

I'm not sure I'd *stay* there long, at least not on the ISS. Maybe if there's a station built that's designed to be a pleasant place to live in rather than completely functional.

Its about the reliability, not absolute number. If Soyuz flew for a thousand years, a hundred failures might happen, but it still could have 99.9% reliability.

I know. But Augustus was counting the number of failures for spaceplanes.

2/140+ is pretty low... (gotta count X-15...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.