0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

if the secret feature is deformable terrain I'll spend all my time mining under the KSC for lolzz

Unless they turned off deformable terrain for that crash, it isn't in (unless it has a higher threshold). The album follows the explosion all the way to the smoke having mostly cleared, and there's no terrain deformation.

Unless they turned off deformable terrain for that crash, it isn't in (unless it has a higher threshold). The album follows the explosion all the way to the smoke having mostly cleared, and there's no terrain deformation.

I doubt they'd leave a secret feature in a public release :wink:

I am 99.99% convinced that the secret feature is destructible buildings, or something very very similar (not sure what would be similar though...it has to be destructible buildings.) I think the feature will prove rather pointless, but hopefully it sets up the groundwork for customizing the layout of the KSC, upgrading buildings, adding buildings (starting with just a small VAB and Mission Control, maybe?), or even allowing custom buildings to be modded in. All of these features would be pretty cool to see, but simply destroying buildings wouldn't add anything to gameplay.

A thought on the secret feature: it's been suggested that the new building by the runway would deploy a fire/rescue team in the event of a crash. It's also been stated that we will be able to see and recover debris (and ships) from the space center screen. I shall combine the two and suggest debris recovery teams will be deployed from the new building, much like a FOD crew at an airport. Then they will scramble out of their vehicles clown-car style.

I think the devs underestimate how often good players will see this feature, as the good players tend to push the limits of what will hold together through a launch. Looking at you, Whackjob. You too, Xacktar.

Ok, so my poor guess about deformable parts is not valid anymore. And I don't see any impact craters on the pics, either. What I see though is the old landing gear, which PorkJet said he was going to rework and the old tail section. Hopefully that's going to be remodelled and will make it into .25. Right? RIGHT?

EDIT: Oh, and I like the new explosions.

Edited by Veeltch

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

Looks pretty nice. Are the explosions dynamical? I mean do they relate to how much fuel the vessel has etc?

Ok, so my poor guess about deformable parts is not valid anymore. And I don't see any impact craters on the pics, either. What I see though is the old landing gear, which PorkJet said he was going to rework and the old tail section. Hopefully that's going to be remodelled and will make it into .25. Right? RIGHT?

EDIT: Oh, and I like the new explosions.

I think you got confused. Porkjet said he wants to make his own landing gear mod that will compliment the new Mk. II parts. He doesn't work for squad, I don't think he is going to be altering their parts.

Does anyone else think the new effects will be hard on lower-end comps?

Probably. I'd image there'll be a slider in the graphics settings, like there is for texture resolution or terrain scatter. At least I hope so, my current PC is marginal for KSP as it is and I'm months away from an upgrade.

Awesome! I'm glad you guys made the explosion shockwave look very cartoony (I'm on the non-realism side).

Does anyone else think the new effects will be hard on lower-end comps?

I don't think there will be too much of an impact as ksp is limited by CPU power, not GPU power(unless you happen to be ferram). Adding in an additional shader shouldn't give too much of a performance impact.

Particles are pretty cheap, so I don't think it should slow things down much. From my understanding, the lag you get when crashing big things is due to each part figuring out a bunch of stuff all at the same time - which joints have broken, is it now no longer part of the original ship, has it hit hard enough to explode, etc...

(I'm on the non-realism side).
I'm on the realism side

Must we really have "sides" for this? :huh:

Edited by NovaSilisko

Awesome! I'm glad you guys made the explosion shockwave look very cartoony (I'm on the non-realism side).

Then this game is not for you. If they took away the realism then this game would be nothing like it was today. This game already has a balance where it has the best of both worlds, changing it to completely arcade or vice versa would completey change what this game is. One of the good things about this game is that you actually can learn a great deal from it while at the same time it has fun stuff like the wacky green kerbals.

Wait... Kerbals are being flung out of the plane, right?