0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

Awesome! I'm glad you guys made the explosion shockwave look very cartoony (I'm on the non-realism side).

I'm more in the realism camp for gameplay but I like the cartoonish aspect of failures in KSP. Almost everybody fails a lot at first, the comical explosions and bobble head appearance of the kerbals changes failing from being a negative experience into a funny one. It's more like seeing Wile E. Coyote fall off a cliff than seeing a photorealistic mountain climber fall into a crevasse. An important part of the kerbal experience is laughing at disastrous failure.

Maybe we're going at this wrong. It's something that you see if you're a bad player and very rarely a good player. That doesn't mean it HAS to be crash-related. Maybe it's something else.

It might even be something that makes good players bad at the game until they learn to fix it. For instance if aerodynamic disassembly was added, players that are good won't care about super-high gees in atmosphere yet until Aerodisassembly is added.

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

So, crew training, crazy cloning, or space tourists it is, then!

Or Kerbal Customization! It's a legitimate possibility!

Edited by CptRichardson

Then this game is not for you. If they took away the realism then this game would be nothing like it was today. This game already has a balance where it has the best of both worlds, changing it to completely arcade or vice versa would completey change what this game is. One of the good things about this game is that you actually can learn a great deal from it while at the same time it has fun stuff like the wacky green kerbals.

I should've said "I'm not on the total realism side" then. :P

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

This looks less dramatic and impressive than the stills that were posted in the blog. Is this of a previous version of the new explosions or the exact same taken from a different angle?

Also have you guys considered making it so not every part is packed with C4 and vaporizes on contact? We all love big explosions but objects that aren't fuel tanks and engines disappearing on contact feels kinda cheap.

I still slap nosecones on everything, for the same reason I make my planes look aerodynamic (i.e. pointy): they look a lot cooler.

Exactly... thats why i am using fairings without having an aerodynamic mod installed... it just looks more rocket (and a lot cooler).

I think you got confused. Porkjet said he wants to make his own landing gear mod that will compliment the new Mk. II parts. He doesn't work for squad, I don't think he is going to be altering their parts.
Let's say, what if someone was going to not only make smaller and bigger landing gear versions, but also planned to make a new model for the current landing gear, what changes would you like to see about it?

From his SP+ thread. I think he meant the stock landing gear, because there's no current landing gear in the mod itself. But I might be wrong of course.

Edited by Veeltch

I just found something out. Remember this pic from the devnotes a while ago?:

http://i.imgur.com/xQQVl7s.png

Maybe...just maybe this is hinting at destructible space center buildings. If so, I'm pushing the regulator to max hype.

Dude, you're NOT the HypeTrain driver! If you were you'd know that the HypeTrain has no regulator, and that the driver(that's me)'s own Hype levels regulates the steam!

Maybe...just maybe this is hinting at destructible space center buildings. If so, I'm pushing the regulator to max hype.

It just might be. It's the best guess I've heared. How many funds will it cost to rebuild it? Mortimer won't be happy about that, I say.

I'm guessing right now the secret feature has something to do with debris on the KSP scene (the main menu scene). I think they're adding "life" to that scene: maybe we'll see kerbals and trucks running around, akin to what we have inside the VAB and the SPH - but something procedural, related to debris left on the area. Like disaster crews managing accident locations (maybe even fire trucks and guys in hazmat suits). Something that would be fun to watch, and would make you want to fill your courtyard with wreckage.

The ground crew that cleans up the vicinity of KSC would be very useful. I could finally have the debris option turned back on without running the risk of low fps every rocket launch, and could watch my Kessler ring grow around the planet.