0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

I know what the secret is, it another black obelisk like the one north of KSC. And in in .26 their will be many of them. Maxmaps link to Webm has a close up image of one. :wink:

Edited by bonyetty

I'd say shuttle ladies... on every launch 10 ladies walk around the shuttle with boards to countdown the last 10 seconds.

no mod has ever done it and for .26 they add... families! Do you really want to crash that plane and leave poor Jeb's children with their daddy? ;.;

Let the record show that 26's won't be a secret feature. Even if we wanted it to be, I'm 100% sure that once you guys see the fun little thing we did for this one you'll immediately know what's coming in 26. Plus I'll do another one of those huge blog posts that explains what our goals for 26 are.

That's great! While the guessing game has been fun, I think the curiosity would kill me in another round!

Let the record show that 26's won't be a secret feature. Even if we wanted it to be, I'm 100% sure that once you guys see the fun little thing we did for this one you'll immediately know what's coming in 26. Plus I'll do another one of those huge blog posts that explains what our goals for 26 are.

Improved aerodynamics when?

I know what the secret is, it another black obelisk like the one north of KSC. And in in .26 their will be many of them. Maxmaps link to Webm has a close up image of one. :wink:

You do know there is a dozen of those already, right?

Edited by Alshain

Ted has been creating a thread for the past 15 minutes come on man

EDIT: now he is offline without leaking any secret secrets.... :(

Yeah, I alt-tabbed and took care of a few other things before going back to post that thread. Apologies for getting the hype up. :P

Edited by Ted

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

Oh, I know what it is now... :) This is awesome...

Oh, I know what it is now... :) This is awesome...

What is awesome? There was some discussion about a radially attached cockpit canopy a long time ago. Just after .24.2 had been released and the reworked Mk1 parts were the talk of the day. IDK if it was ever confirmed by the devs though.

So, here's a thought: with the focus on and addition of new plane-parts (giddygiddygiddy), have they also focused on the value of (space) planes in the game mechanics? As it stand now, you'll have to do a considerable amount of different tests and researches before ever having something resembling a plane. (Capsules strapped with canards do not count). Do you think there'll be a more direct availability to a space-plane development path now? Will there be more space-plane specific contracts such as gathering (specific) science from the atmosphere above specified locations or biomes?

As it is, I am one of those players that spend most of their time developing spaceplanes and experimenting with new wicked ways to improve them. Yet, for game-progress, their only real function so far is either as a testing bed for new(experimental) parts or (much later) as a SSTO/shuttle. Any thoughts on ways they might have tackled some of these problems?

Additionally, and I am pretty sure this will not be incorporated in this patch, is the 'debris' deletion which makes atmospheric flight a real pain in many situations. I love making dropships and exploring the planned by para-dropped supplies/vehicles/astronauts, but the fact that you'll have to remain within 2.5 km of your dropped cargo at risk of losing it is very painstaking. It does, of course , add another challenging element. But having to design your long range heavy-lifter with sharp turns in mind so that it doesn't lose its cargo after dropping is just limiting. any thoughts on this? Might the 64-bit version elevate some of these limitations?

So, here's a thought: with the focus on and addition of new plane-parts (giddygiddygiddy), have they also focused on the value of (space) planes in the game mechanics? As it stand now, you'll have to do a considerable amount of different tests and researches before ever having something resembling a plane. (Capsules strapped with canards do not count). Do you think there'll be a more direct availability to a space-plane development path now? Will there be more space-plane specific contracts such as gathering (specific) science from the atmosphere above specified locations or biomes?

As it is, I am one of those players that spend most of their time developing spaceplanes and experimenting with new wicked ways to improve them. Yet, for game-progress, their only real function so far is either as a testing bed for new(experimental) parts or (much later) as a SSTO/shuttle. Any thoughts on ways they might have tackled some of these problems?

I've been wanting them to rework the tech tree like that for a while now. We should be able to build a simple Mk1 atmospheric plane by tier 3. As it stands now you don't even get the basic jet engine and landing gear until tier 5. To me it just doesn't make sense for a civilization to discover flight only after launching rockets into space.

"Tonight on KNN, we have landed on the Mun! In other news, two crackpot scientists attempt to build a device to allow Kerbals to fly through the air. More at 11."

Edited by Alshain

I've been wanting them to rework the tech tree like that for a while now. We should be able to build a simple Mk1 atmospheric plane by tier 3. As it stands now you don't even get the basic jet engine and landing gear until tier 5. To me it just doesn't make sense for a civilization to discover flight only after launching rockets into space.

"Tonight on KNN, we have landed on the Mun! In other news, two crackpot scientists attempt to build a device to allow Kerbals to fly through the air. More at 11."

Same here....and wheels or some form of landing leg in the first two. We had wheels hundreds of years before flight, space or air, so it would make sense that we'd have something to land on with that wasn't a girder.

"Tomorrow morning on Good Morning Kerbol we'll be talking to Bill after his daring rescue and bringing home Jeb who was stuck in a Command Pod on Minmus for 2 months. Following that - Wheels: Just what are they and how will they change our lives? Tune in tomorrow, 8 Keastern, 7 Kerntral for all the details."

Maxmaps, just now on twitter:

"Refining our texture loading methods to make 0.25 load faster. Also opening loading methods up for modding so peeps can give it a shot."

Oooh that is a good news, finally something hype-worthy! I always like when they upgrade stuff under the hood of the game. The faster it loads, the better.