0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

How the heck do you guys still keep coming back to destructible features as if it's not a drunken, insane development. We don't even have real water, or real rocket damage, or clouds, or a real atmosphere, so why would they add destructible buildings and deformable land before we even get anything actually necessary and requested? You guys boggle me sometimes.

Squad have attempted procedural clouds before, displaying a few shots of them. They abandoned it due to being unable to get a playable frame rate while running them.

http://i.imgur.com/x3g7f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EsJLW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O1y5Xpeh.jpg

Man I'd kill to have Squad re-attempt this feature down the road, when Unity 5 is dropped and we've got all the main features added. Really can't wait for a beautification overhaul.

Edited by Franklin

How the heck do you guys still keep coming back to destructible features as if it's not a drunken, insane development. We don't even have real water, or real rocket damage, or clouds, or a real atmosphere, so why would they add destructible buildings and deformable land before we even get anything actually necessary and requested? You guys boggle me sometimes.

Why not? Give it a break...You serious boring people boggle my mind.

Just remember the following, guys:

To date no mod has done it.

It's a small thing (unless it comes up, it won't have an impact on your gameplay at all).

The better player you are, the smaller the chance you will even see it. (Otherwise you will see it and will have to deal with its effects.)

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project. Which has got all of our art team chained to their desks.

Edited by Maxmaps

Can we lower the volume in here a bit? The secret feature hasn't been revealed yet, so speculation on its unknown status is fine. Let's try not to be so harsh in discrediting things here.

Everyone think it's a big feature , I think it's small but make game more fun :)

Wait a Developer post in my topic ( Head Explode )

It's a small thing (unless it comes up, it won't have an impact on your gameplay at all).

The better player you are, the smaller the chance you will even see it. (Otherwise you will see it and will have to deal with its effects.)

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project that has got all of our art team chained to their desks.

If I'm reading this right... I will never see it? Thanks for making something that I will probably not notice. :huh:

If I'm reading this right... I will never see it? Thanks for making something that I will probably not notice. :huh:

I doubt they spent entire weeks of development time on it (I mean, they were ahead of schedule at one point), so let's not act like they owe us something incredible with this velvet curtain stuff.

.25 is all about the admin building, with a few borrowed spaceplane parts to give the update more meat.

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project that has got all of our art team chained to their desks.

It is so destructible buildings

The big project of the whole team was going through all the parts and redesigning them. There's a word or two from Dan about that. And he said it was pretty big and won't have much time to do any cinematics because of that, IIRC. Don't remember in which dev note it was, though. So if it's about parts it's probably deformable parts, or some sort of other damage effects. And I'm not thinking about the landing legs, solar panels but actual fuel tanks and engines bending or getting black after taking too much of reentrey heat.

That's just one of my many guesses, though.

EDIT: Here it is

Daniel (danRosas): Moving on in the assets modeling list. Right now, we’re in about 10% of the 64 assets on the list. We also planned the full schedule, and it’s extremely tight, but not impossible. It’s been interesting to merge the style and aesthetics of the three artists, in order to give the most inside the Universe of the game.

I think the "Three artists" here are meant to be NovaSilisko, ClairaLyrae and C7.

AFAIK C7 made the big ARM parts, the plane parts and the Mk1-2 pod, Nova and Claira the other medium and small rocket and probe stuff.

Edited by Veeltch

The FPS issues from trashable buildings can be averted if the buildings use one model for each percentage of health left. For example, at 100-86% health, it uses the standard model. At 85-60% health, the building has some dents and broken windows, as well as scorch marks, but nothing else. At 59-36% health, the building has holes and many other dents in it, leaving it considerably unstable. At 35-1%, many pieces of the building are missing due to exessive damage, smoke comes out of the building and you cannot access it anymore. At 0%, it is just a pile of rubble, with a few (damaged)objects sticking out of it.

Sheesh, do you people ever cease to breathe? I had a hard time reading this.

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project. Which has got all of our art team chained to their desks.

*"Deathstreaks" like in some online shooters. gives you a boost when you die too often.

you lose a few too many kerbals and they begin spawning with extra health/fall resistance.

*not serious

It's most likely destructible buildings at this point.

To date no mod has done it. - Yep

It's a small thing (unless it comes up, it won't have an impact on your gameplay at all). - Doesn't matter until you crash into the buildings

The better player you are, the smaller the chance you will even see it. (Otherwise you will see it and will have to deal with its effects.) - Better players don't crash, but if you do crash, you're in trouble.

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project. Which has got all of our art team chained to their desks. - Models for destroyed buildings

The FPS issues from trashable buildings can be averted if the buildings use one model for each percentage of health left. For example, at 100-86% health, it uses the standard model. At 85-60% health, the building has some dents and broken windows, as well as scorch marks, but nothing else. At 59-36% health, the building has holes and many other dents in it, leaving it considerably unstable. At 35-1%, many pieces of the building are missing due to exessive damage, smoke comes out of the building and you cannot access it anymore. At 0%, it is just a pile of rubble, with a few (damaged)objects sticking out of it.

Wow will hitting the air control tower with an airplane affect gameplay :)

The big project of the whole team was going through all the parts and redesigning them. There's a word or two from Dan about that. And he said it was pretty big and won't have much time to do any cinematics because of that, IIRC. Don't remember in which dev note it was, though. So if it's about parts it's probably deformable parts, or some sort of other damage effects. And I'm not thinking about the landing legs, solar panels but actual fuel tanks and engines bending or getting black after taking too much of reentrey heat.

That's just one of my many guesses, though.

EDIT: Here it is

Daniel (danRosas): Moving on in the assets modeling list. Right now, we’re in about 10% of the 64 assets on the list. We also planned the full schedule, and it’s extremely tight, but not impossible. It’s been interesting to merge the style and aesthetics of the three artists, in order to give the most inside the Universe of the game.
I think the "Three artists" here are meant to be NovaSilisko, ClairaLyrae and C7.

AFAIK C7 made the big ARM parts, the plane parts and the Mk1-2 pod, Nova and Claira the other medium and small rocket and probe stuff.

I don't know about the staffing guesses, but you may be closer than the [insane] destructible buildings guesses. But there are almost 200 parts, so I don't know how we'd be able to narrow down which 64 are being done over, and what for.

Although the re-entry effects guess might make sense when considering they had Porkjet remove the heat-shielding textures from his parts. Perhaps they want to introduce re-entry effects and shielding more uniformly across the stock parts rather than shielding just being drawn right onto textures, but I'd guess something as big as re-entry effects would be scheduled for .26 or later, which I guess also cues off of: "It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project." If the secret .25 thing has nothing to do with re-entry part effects but is a perk spawned there from.

Anyway, wild speculation, etc. Who knows.

If they're making it so you can transfer Kerbals between parts without going EVA,

Marco (Samssonart): ... I’m currently working on crew transfer, meaning there will be no more need to EVA kerbals to transfer them among docked crafts.

Then perhaps the Big Art Project is part interiors, and IVA being more functional than in-seat camera panning. Like actually moving Kerbals between parts IVA. But that would be .26+ stuff, not a secret .25 flub inclusion.

I so hope it's not this. I hate it in a driving game when I slam into the wall and the opposite bumper deforms like I hit a telephone pole with it, simply because I've reached that level of 'damaged' with the car. If I crash headlong into the roof of the VAB I don't want it to remain pristine while the door gets a dent.