0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

snip.

I think we both want KSP to arrive at the same destination, only we have differences with the route Squad is taking. :wink:

I agree. It is a pain waiting on mods to be updated. I'll just do what I normally do come release day -- start some new games and play KSP pure stock until my mods of choice are updated and play the previous version if I need all those mods or want to play with my old saves. Luckily, some mods seem to be pretty version agnostic, maybe requiring a recompile to get rid of log spam, and parts only and/or non-dll mods are usually safe; since this isn't a major, major update, I don't think mods will take that long to catch up....and all the city and launch site mods will be a lot funner now, well, depending on how the repair system works and if we can introduce a delay or not. I'd like it to take some time for the destroyed whatever to be repaired making me have to use an alternate launch site until it's fixed. Yeah, I could time warp until fixed, but I try not to time warp unless it's necessary for game progression, like interplanetary transfers and things like that.

That's the beauty of KSP, we play it how we want to play it and mod it into our vision of what we think KSP should be.

At least we'll be getting SP+ on launch :cool:. Between that and the updated NavBall, 0.25 is looking to be pretty awesome.

At least we'll be getting SP+ on launch :cool:. Between that and the updated NavBall, 0.25 is looking to be pretty awesome.

That is a major thing; making mods unnecessary. Some basic part additions, UI fixes and aerodynamic improvements and I could empty out most of my Gamedata folder. This can only have a good effect on stability and speed.

Most of the mods I use are either basic UI improvements (Kerbal Flight Data, Editor Extensions, RCS Build Aid, etc.), small part packs (Spaceplane Plus), gameplay polish (Ferram, Deadly Reentry, Fine Print) or basic aesthetics (Chatterer, EVE).

All of this is stuff that should end up in the stock game soon enough. Good to see that they're starting to do it.

It'd be neat to have other airports to actually fly to. I like my spaceplanes, but it'd be nice to be able to build standard planes that actually have a purpose. Perhaps flying to other airports unlocks them for use.

That would be pretty cool to have hidden runways scattered across Kerbin, and the only way to unlock them is to land on them.

Why have Squad scatter runways about when you go and build them yourselves? Pack a construction crew and supplies into a big cargo plane and head out across Kerbin.

Destruction is just construction in reverse, and we've already got building destruction on the way.

Why have Squad scatter runways about when you go and build them yourselves? Pack a construction crew and supplies into a big cargo plane and head out across Kerbin.

Destruction is just construction in reverse, and we've already got building destruction on the way.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Just plopping down a space center anywhere on the map seems a bit more programming intensive than having designated areas you can build or unlock.

Still not sure how destructible buildings became "We can put space centers on any planet and wherever we want!" I'm seeing this sentiment allot. I'd assume an upgradable KSC is more likely.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Just plopping down a space center anywhere on the map seems a bit more programming intensive than having designated areas you can build or unlock.

Still not sure how destructible buildings became "We can put space centers on any planet and wherever we want!" I'm seeing this sentiment allot. I'd assume an upgradable KSC is more likely.

Destroyable KSC: certain.

Repairable KSC: certain except to pedants.

Upgradable KSC: almost certain.

Planet-wide construction (or at least at a substantial number of set locations): to be fervently hoped for.

Ooh, idea.

Take multiple launchsites, a tweaked version of Fine Print, multi-player and destroyable buildings.

Given the right players, you now have Kerbal Thunderbirds: Competitive Rescue.

Think you can knock Team A's rescue plane out of the sky and swoop in with your net VTOL in time to "rescue" the cargo yourself? Or did your decoy plane already succeed in leading Team B into Team A's flight path before they ever got close?

I'm wondering what happens if you destroy Mission Control (and the Admin building, too, if it allows currency exchange) and you don't have enough money to rebuild it. Game over?

Also wondering if there'll be consequences for destroying the smaller non-functional structures and not rebuilding them.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I'm wondering what happens if you destroy Mission Control (and the Admin building, too, if it allows currency exchange) and you don't have enough money to rebuild it. Game over?

Probably; that's most likely what Max meant when he said potentially game-ending consequences

The reason I said that destructible buildings should lead to building your own space centers on Kerbin and (hopefully) elsewhere (before, I may add, destructible buildings were announced) was that they said that the 0.25 thing was small but would lead to something huge in 0.26. Fixing your broken buildings isn't huge. It's actually a necessary part of breaking them (or a game over screen is). Building (or finding) new space centers is huge.

The reason I said that destructible buildings should lead to building your own space centers on Kerbin and (hopefully) elsewhere (before, I may add, destructible buildings were announced) was that they said that the 0.25 thing was small but would lead to something huge in 0.26. Fixing your broken buildings isn't huge. It's actually a necessary part of breaking them (or a game over screen is). Building (or finding) new space centers is huge.

Yeah, but think about it from a programming perspective. Maxmaps said that this feature was 90% of the groundwork for the much bigger feature. If that future feature is upgradable buildings, that makes a lot of sense. They've added in gameplay mechanics for not having certain buildings, and for having multiple 3d models for each building. All that's left to do is add more 3d models for the various levels of each building.

If the new feature was adding more space centers places, there'd still be a whole lot of work to be done. Sure, they've got the technology to destroy them once they're built, but they still have to handle all the mechanics of how exactly you add them in the first place. Just being able to launch rockets from somewhere other than the main KSC would be a huge programming endeavor, I imagine.

Yeah, but think about it from a programming perspective. Maxmaps said that this feature was 90% of the groundwork for the much bigger feature. If that future feature is upgradable buildings, that makes a lot of sense. They've added in gameplay mechanics for not having certain buildings, and for having multiple 3d models for each building. All that's left to do is add more 3d models for the various levels of each building.

If the new feature was adding more space centers places, there'd still be a whole lot of work to be done. Sure, they've got the technology to destroy them once they're built, but they still have to handle all the mechanics of how exactly you add them in the first place. Just being able to launch rockets from somewhere other than the main KSC would be a huge programming endeavor, I imagine.

Did he say it was 90%? I thought he said it was small but the groundwork for the bigger feature, which implies it's far less than 90%.

I think we both need citations :D I'll try to find mine.

EDIT: Here's not quite what I said he said, but it at the very least implies that the current thing is a tiny part of what is coming in 0.26.

You forgot to mention that it is a cool yet rather small thing, and that it's only possible because of all the groundwork that we put in so a big 0.26 big feature would be possible. This being the reason why our art team is chained to their desks undertaking that massive project.
Edited by 5thHorseman

SQUAD had successfully makes us believe that they are "always busy" in doing the development, slowly.

And boom, they give us surprise of this destructible building. I wonder what will be next.

Perhaps... DR, FAR, Kathane, TLS and RT2 all combine in 1 release?

SQUAD had successfully makes us believe that they are "always busy" in doing the development, slowly.

And boom, they give us surprise of this destructible building. I wonder what will be next.

Actually, I am pretty sure that we're going to get some form of Kolonization in .26, given that part of the building destruction mechanic is rebuilding buildings and that the .26 massive new feature with insane amounts of art development is said to build off of the base of .25. It's a fairly logical conclusion that would be a major upgrade to the game that would allow squad to partially implement their resource mechanic that they couldn't quite make work, and provides a nice end-game with lots of stuff to add to the game.

Sudden pop on 5thHorseman post.

Building damage, the next might be "part-damage". Damage-able wings, fuel tank, engines etc...

It is more awesome to see you engines cripple, compare with it just goes pops and gone.

Who needs destructable buildings really? A normal rocket booster dosnt reach the ground because the ship is to high and the KSP engine will follow debris objects only for 2,1 km (i think). The only sense of the destructable buildings will be

- my landing or my rocket was a fail... or

- i destroy the buildings wilfully !

The next secret feature will be bombs and guns (hopefully not)...

I hope we will see walkable IVAs in the near future - this would be a reason for me to cheer! (but i think this will be only a dream...)