Derp Shield Corp's Part pack: Bigger, Hotter, Simpler V.02 (W.I.P.)

Reign Of Magic

Hello all and welcome to Derp Shield Corporation!

YCVMn9.jpg

Here is a sneak-peak with download of my part pack. Pretty much my goal with this part pack is to fill in the gaps that stock parts leave. Examples would be make an excessively powerful lifter engine & a slightly more vacuum efficient than stock engine for each tier, add in some utility/quality of life parts (Longer ladders, fuel tanks adapter parts), and some futuristic propulsion.

DISCLAIMER: Parts are a work in progress, many parts have yet to be made, and existing parts might be imbalanced for either cost/use. Please leave me feedback if you have any ideas for new parts or balancing! Or anything really!

Part Classification in this Pack

• S Series Engine stands for Smart Series. This engine type prioritizes Vacuum ISP over Thrust. Suggested use is for upper stage for orbital insertion or for anything out in the depths of space.
  • J Series Engine stands for Jump Series. This engine type prioritizes Thrust over ISP. These engines should have lower ISP than any stock engine, but much higher thrust to compensate. Suggested use: First stage in heavy lifter platforms.
  • Future Tech: VT1 and QVT. These pieces are not meant to be realistic in terms of thrust. They are meant to provide alternatives to conventional chemical rockets for your late game exploration of deep space while not being quite as frustrating as stock Ion engines (low thrust) or KSP Interstellar parts(Complicated with alternative resource system). I tried to balance these pieces against each other and against the O.H. RTG.

Parts in this pack (see spoiler section for more info on each part

• S-1 "Long Haul": 1.25m Engine
  • S-3 "Tri-Flame": 2.5m Engine
  • S-7 "Grandiose": 3.75m Engine
  • S-Half "The ittle engine that could" .625m Engine
  • J-Half "Micro Heavy": .625m Engine
  • J-1 "Size doesn't mean everything": 1.25m Engine
  • J-4 "The Prince": 2.5m Engine
  • J-9 "Over-Compensator": 3.75m Engine
  • NERVA: 2.5m Nuclear engine
  • O.H. RTG: Opressively Heavy 2.5m RTG
  • VT-1: Vacuum only Ion Drive size 2.5m
  • LumiLeg: Large suspensionless landing leg with 2 lamps
  • Repurposed Tank: Xenon : 2.5m Xenon tank
  • QVT: 2.5m Quantum Vacuum Thruster
  • .625m Radial Stack Decoupler
  • 1.25m Radial Stack Decoupler
  • 2.5m Radial Stack Decoupler
  • 1.25 to .625m Fuel Tank Adapter
  • 2.5 to 1.25m Fuel Tank Adapter
  • 3.75 to 2.5m Fuel Tank Adapter
  • Omni Spotlight

Special bits for various pieces may include:

• Emmissive Textures
  • Animated Parts
  • Special Running FX (currently only the "Ion" vapor trail used in VT1 and QVT)

Parts in progress or to be done:

• Various Lights (might be built into other pieces)
  • Structural Pieces
  • Additional Fuel tanks emphasizing Utility (Built on Ladders/.625m tanks)
  • 3.75m Docking Port
  • RCS Blocks
  • Texture fixes here and there if unity stops fighting me

.625 Engine: Tech Node: Specialized Construction

• J Series
  • 38 Thrust
  • ISP 280-330
  • S Series
  • 10 Thrust
  • ISP 150-400

1.25m Engines:

• Tech Node: Advanced Rocketry
  • S Series
  • 100 thrust
  • ISP 120-435
  • J series
  • 530 thrust
  • ISP 240-320

2.5m Engines
    • Tech Node: Heavier Rocketry
    • S Series
    • 300 thrust
    • ISP 120-435
    • J Series
    • 2120 Thrust
    • ISP 240-320

3.75m Engines

• Tech Node: Very Heavy Rocketry
  • S Series
  • 700 Thrust
  • ISP 120-435
  • J Series
  • 4770 Thrust
  • ISP 240-320

Future Tech
    • VT1
    • Tech Node: Advanced Motors
    • 250 Thrust
    • ISP 5000 (Runs only in Vacuum)
    • Aprox cost to run at full throttle ~1k ec/s & 51 Xenon/s
    • QVT
    • Tech Node: Advanced Science Tech
    • 100 Thrust
    • ISP (might as well be infinite)
    • Aprox cost to run at full throttle ~2k ec/s & .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 mono propellant (Looking for a fix for the need for 2 propellants)
    • Example with a cockpit, the OH RTG & QVT Kerbal engineer was listing over 990 million (yes that is correct) dV for 7.5 mono prop. Essentially have at least 1 mono prop and your golden

Utility Pieces
      • LumiLeg
      • Tech Node: Advanced Landing
      • O.H. RTG
      • Tech Node: Specialized Electronics
      • Weight: 22.2 tonnes
      • Electrical Output: 2k ec/s
      • Xenon Tank
      • Tech Node: Ion Propulsion
      • Capacity: 90k Xenon Gas
      • Omni Spotlight
      • 5 lights at 45 degree angles from each other
      • .2ec/s

Structural

• .625m Radial Stack Decoupler
    • 1.25m Radial Stack Decoupler
    • 2.5m Radial Stack Decoupler
    • All attach like normal radial Decouplers, but comes with a 2 stack attachment points. They also decouple.

Fuel Tanks

• 1.25m to .625m Fuel Tank Adapter
    • 115.2 Fuel & 176 Oxidizer
    • 2.5m to 1.25m Fuel Tank Adapter
    • 576 Fuel & 704 Oxidizer
    • 3.75m to 2.5m Fuel Tank Adapter
    • 864 Fuel & 1056 Oxidizer

Full resolution imgur: http://imgur.com/a/38nta#0

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0hbz9xuxy656op5/AACedZSR9QQRrEfABiZaF6zSa

OR

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/223734-derp-shield-corp-bigger-hotter-simpler

Make sure you delete the smokescreen folder, and the Derp Shield folder prior to installing the latest versions to avoid problems. This pack is in the "Part Pack" Folder

Other Necessary bits/disclaimers:

This pack includes Smokescreen Version 2.4.1 for exhaust effects & ModuleManager version 2.2.1

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71630-0-24-SmokeScreen-2-4-1-Extended-FX-plugin-(August-2)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29

Licensing for this Pack: For the time being I'm going to go with "All rights reserved for the contents of the DerpShield Folder". Module manager and Smokescreen have their own respective licensing.

Reason for my decision: Not sure what types of licensing there is, or if I have to do anything special for them and this was the "easy" option in the licensing tutorial.

[LIST]
    [*]Version .02 Released 8/24/14
    [*]...Includes New Engine: S-Half
    [*]...Includes New Fuel tanks: 1.25 to .625, 2.5 to 1.25 & 3.75 to 2.5m Adapter Tanks
    [*]...Includes New Omni Spotlight
    [*]...Includes Radial stack Decouplers sizes .625, 1.25, 2.5m
    [*]...Slight Texture change to the VT1 (Replaced name with Hazard tape.)

[*]Version .01 Released 8/21/14
    [*]... Includes New engines: S1, S3, S7, QVT, J Half,
    [*]... Slight Balancing Changes to the J series of engines (no longer have more thrust than they should. For example the J9 had 30 thrust higher than it was supposed to)
    [*] ...A few tech node changes Spreading all the pieces to sections of the tech tree they should be in. Example: RTG is in advanced Electronics now
    [*]Version 0 Released: 8/14/2014
    [/LIST]
    Changelog:

Edited by Reign Of Magic
V.02 Released

Version .01 is released now!

Changes to Initial post include: Spoiler section, Better IMGUR album, spelling fixed.

Changelog:

• Version .01 Released 8/21/14
  • ... Includes New engines: S1, S3, S7, QVT, J Half,
  • ... Slight Balancing Changes to the J series of engines (no longer have more thrust than they should. For example the J9 had 30 thrust higher than it was supposed to)
  • ... A few tech node changes Spreading all the pieces to sections of the tech tree they should be in. Example: RTG is in advanced Electronics now

Nice work here Reign. Models and exhaust effects look fantastic. Definitely giving these a try. They look like they'll fill a niche between stock and even KW Rocketry (my go to anymore for lifters). I don't know that I'll personally use the generator / QVT as I already use both Near Future Propulsion and Interstellar but still

Nice work here Reign. Models and exhaust effects look fantastic. Definitely giving these a try. They look like they'll fill a niche between stock and even KW Rocketry (my go to anymore for lifters). I don't know that I'll personally use the generator / QVT as I already use both Near Future Propulsion and Interstellar but still

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My initial starting point was just making some crazy powerful rockets for each tier. I toned that down before I initially released (while I only had the 1.25m engine) because having a 800 thrust 1.25m engine was a little stupid. (Could lift something like 15 of the large 1.25m tanks). So I guess I unconsciously was aiming for that niche.

I do know I don't plan to make 5m parts because KW has that covered splendidly. As for the exhausts/flames all of them are stock. I just added in more locations from which it shows from (each nozzle). The only custom exhaust/flame effects I have made is the ion trail for the VT1 and QVT engines. I do plan to make more exhausts (mainly for vacuum thrusters) just because that is something I am not yet overly familiar with, but at the moment I wish to flesh out the rest of the parts.

Anyway thanks for the support and let me know if you notice any glaring problems which I have missed, or any suggestions for different parts or changes to current ones!

Hello All!

I have just released version .02 here is the changelog!

• Version .02 Released 8/24/14
  • ...Includes New Engine: S-Half
  • ...Includes New Fuel tanks: 1.25 to .625, 2.5 to 1.25 & 3.75 to 2.5m Adapter Tanks
  • ...Includes New Omni Spotlight
  • ...Includes Radial stack Decouplers sizes .625, 1.25, 2.5m
  • ...Slight Texture change to the VT1 (Replaced name with Hazard tape.)

Imgur Album updated now (bad me for posting this prior to everything being ready)

Next patch will probably include ladders if I can figure them out, .625m Fuel tank and other assorted goodies I haven't thought up yet.

Edited by Reign Of Magic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.