.net 4.5

Not thinking this would be an issue I built Mission Controller 2 in Net 4.5.

But Started to get reports from people using Operating systems like Linux that they are crashing. I usually suggest using 32 bit. I know nothing about Linux but is everyone using Net 4.5 or are you using 3.5?

First actual report I got from someone that has actually pointed to MCE and the .net I'm using.

For reference I quickly compiled in 3.5 Net to see what would happen in 64 bit KSP with a bunch of other mods and it still crashes (I can never run large amounts of mods in 64 bit windows KSP it seems).

I can run .net 4.5 fine on my system though (windows). In 64 bit, only issue comes up when I add a bunch of other mods so usually have to use 32 bit. But by itself MCE2 runs flawless even in 64 bit ksp on my system.

Should I be making another compile thats for Unix using .net 3.5 or something?

Edited by malkuth

As far as I am aware, the version of KSP is (was?) on uses net 3.5.

Visual studio defaults to net 4.5 and I was getting an error at runtime in KSP ver 0.23 in windows 32 bit until I forced visual studio to compile against net 3.5.

Now, I think in the KSP 0.24 patch notes there was a comment about upgrading to a newer unity version, but I don't know what that means for net compatibility.

D.

As far as I am aware, the version of KSP is (was?) on uses net 3.5.

Visual studio defaults to net 4.5 and I was getting an error at runtime in KSP ver 0.23 in windows 32 bit until I forced visual studio to compile against net 3.5.

Now, I think in the KSP 0.24 patch notes there was a comment about upgrading to a newer unity version, but I don't know what that means for net compatibility.

D.

When I compiled it in 3.5 I only had to get rid of a few refrences (not even using them) that .net 4.5 adds. And MCE converted without any issues at all. So pretty sure other then a few of the references that are .net 4.5 only. There is not much difference.

I use 3.5 because anything regarding Reflection seems to need it (aka, Toolbar and my RealChute integration). Previously I think I was using 4.5 and never got a complaint, but my userbase at the time was tiny. Like only 150 people.

I use 3.5 because anything regarding Reflection seems to need it (aka, Toolbar and my RealChute integration). Previously I think I was using 4.5 and never got a complaint, but my userbase at the time was tiny. Like only 150 people.

Yeah I used 3.5 for the orginal MCE. But didn't think about it when started coding for MCE2.

I have a test version out for people to try. See what happens.

Yes, if you compile for a version of .NET that KSP doesn't use you will likely get unexpected bad behavior. Certainly you can't use features from above 3.5, so why compile to one of them? It just courts trouble and breaks references.

As for the actual bug report: Windows x64 is broken as heck and *any* large (for a disturbingly small value of "large") number of mods will break it. Nothing personal. :D

Would you be tripping over an issue with mono, seeing that it seems to be a linux issue? Generally when it comes to Linux and .net, mono is used to interpert C#, and the support is decent, but not 100%.

Of course, I may well be barking up the wrong tree, but it probably bears mentioning.

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/compatibility/

Would you be tripping over an issue with mono, seeing that it seems to be a linux issue? Generally when it comes to Linux and .net, mono is used to interpert C#, and the support is decent, but not 100%.

Of course, I may well be barking up the wrong tree, but it probably bears mentioning.

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/compatibility/

I just compiled the latest version and release in 3.5. Wasn't a huge deal and only took about 5 seconds of work. And no ill effects. So we will see how things are going. Have not had any bad reports yet. But sometimes it takes a little bit. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.