[1.0.5] Science Containers v.08.3

SirDargon

v.08.1 is out with some minor changes:

Fixed typo in mod folder

Removed a test print

Added Science Container to Science Lab

Thx a lot, i find more usefull to science lab than pod becouse is enought simple transfer data by eva from science lab to a vessel, this mod really save the gamplay, thanks again

Regards Luca

• 2 weeks later...

Love the mod and how useful it is, but I have encountered a bug with kerbals on EVA. I can take data from science modules and science report containers, and store data taken this way into parts that have ProbeScienceContainer or CapsuleScienceContainer, but the data stored in the Kerbal EVA report and surface sample 'slots' don't get stored, I have to enter the vessel to store them. tested this in a clean KSP install and with only Science Containers and Module manager installed. (Storing EVA and surface samples work normally when science containers is removed, although I had to launch a new vessel to get right-click GUI back)

I have also noticed that the parts with ProbeScienceContainer or CapsuleScienceContainer modules don't respect ModuleScienceContainer{ allowRepeatedSubjects = False

EDIT: Reading back through more of the thread I see that this may be intended, if so disregard.

If I take multiple reports from the same area via multiple goo canisters for instance, when I run collect (or have automatic collection on) it will pull all the reports into the command pod even though it normally should only be able to take one of them.

Entering a capsule with the repeated reports will act as normal, storing what it can and throwing a GUI to board anyway (dumping extra science) or cancel. (I can even use take data and pull all the duplicate reports and get the error trying to go back into the pod, but still store that data with the rightclick GUI then enter without problems)

I was able to test and confirm both of these from the launch pad in a new game, take an EVA report and try and store it from outside the capsule and it failed to store (entering the pod stores it normally, then I can pull and store it normally while on EVA). and if I turn auto collect on, run a bunch of crew reports and have them all stored in the capsule (even though they are repeats from 'on launchpad') Recovering the vessel shows all the individual repeated reports in the mission summary screen, and reviewing data in flight mode shows them all as well.

I'd post log files if any of these events threw an error or got logged in anyway. Sadly the output_log had nothing useful to share. All tests conducted on KSP .90 Win32 client , MM 2.5.6 and Science Container v.08.1 (ScienceContainers.dll file properties says v1.0.0.0 btw)

Hope this was helpful and thanks for the mod!

Edited by Tebryn

Love the mod and how useful it is, but I have encountered a bug with kerbals on EVA. I can take data from science modules and science report containers, and store data taken this way into parts that have ProbeScienceContainer or CapsuleScienceContainer, but the data stored in the Kerbal EVA report and surface sample 'slots' don't get stored, I have to enter the vessel to store them. tested this in a clean KSP install and with only Science Containers and Module manager installed. (Storing EVA and surface samples work normally when science containers is removed, although I had to launch a new vessel to get right-click GUI back)

I have also noticed that the parts with ProbeScienceContainer or CapsuleScienceContainer modules don't respect ModuleScienceContainer{ allowRepeatedSubjects = False

EDIT: Reading back through more of the thread I see that this may be intended, if so disregard.

If I take multiple reports from the same area via multiple goo canisters for instance, when I run collect (or have automatic collection on) it will pull all the reports into the command pod even though it normally should only be able to take one of them.

Entering a capsule with the repeated reports will act as normal, storing what it can and throwing a GUI to board anyway (dumping extra science) or cancel. (I can even use take data and pull all the duplicate reports and get the error trying to go back into the pod, but still store that data with the rightclick GUI then enter without problems)

I was able to test and confirm both of these from the launch pad in a new game, take an EVA report and try and store it from outside the capsule and it failed to store (entering the pod stores it normally, then I can pull and store it normally while on EVA). and if I turn auto collect on, run a bunch of crew reports and have them all stored in the capsule (even though they are repeats from 'on launchpad') Recovering the vessel shows all the individual repeated reports in the mission summary screen, and reviewing data in flight mode shows them all as well.

I'd post log files if any of these events threw an error or got logged in anyway. Sadly the output_log had nothing useful to share. All tests conducted on KSP .90 Win32 client , MM 2.5.6 and Science Container v.08.1 (ScienceContainers.dll file properties says v1.0.0.0 btw)

Hope this was helpful and thanks for the mod!

Thank you so much for the feedback. To start, ProbScienceContainer and CapsuleScienceContainer are meant to break the not allowing repeat science reports. It didn't quite make sense to have something to collect everything that can't collect everything. I had to fight with the coding to disable the default KSPEvents for the capsules because they kept being reactivated by the game every time I disabled them. Now, the problem of not storing surface samples or EVA reports was an oversight on my part and will fix that real fast.

EDIT: On second inspection, my code should have collected even those but didn't for some reason. I don't know why it didn't, but I've edited it so now it does. Will be posting the new version up here shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

v.08.2 has been released!

Surface Samples and EVA reports are now able to be stored with one click with all other data being carried by a Kerbal

- - - Updated - - -

o.O It updates it now instead of adding a new reply if you were the last to replay? Interesting... as long as it bumps me back to the top of the Add-on Releases list, I'll be fine with this...

Edited by SirDargon

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've got a query for this, if I wanted to move this functionality from the capsules/probe cores to a part like Talisar's radial science boxes how would I go about that? I have a slight understanding of MM configs, so would I need a file like this?

@PART[TAL.Radial.Experiment.Storage.Container]:Final

{

MODULE

{

name = ProbeScienceContainer

}

}

Or would I need to use the CapsuleScienceContainer module?

Edited by Elvander
Yay tag fail

Could you make a part for this mod that includes a high impact tolerance probe that holds a few data storage units (kilobytes, perhaps?). Any way, I would like to see a part that could be used in spy satellites, an unmanned pod really (that stores science data).

• 1 month later...
Usage:

Use the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button to toggle between the 2 options.

Use the "Toggle Auto Collect" button to toggle Auto Collect. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", only ScienceData in a rerunnable container will be collected, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

Use the "Collect Data (#)" button to collect all ScienceData on a vessel. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", A prompt will popup asking if you want to only collect rerunnable ScienceData or all ScienceData, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

Use the "Review Data (#)" button to review all ScienceData collected by the Science Container.

While on EVA, use the "Collect Data (#)" button to collect all ScienceData on a vessel. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", A prompt will popup asking if you want to only collect rerunnable ScienceData or all ScienceData, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

While on EVA use the "Store Data (#)" button to store any ScienceData that the Kerbal is carrying into the Science Container.

While on EVA use the "Retrieve Data (#)" button to have the Kerbal retrieve any ScienceData that is in the Science Container.

The "Collect Data (#)" buttons are only shown when there is ScienceData that can be collected.

The "Review Data (#)" button is only shown when there is ScienceData in the Science Container.

The "Store Data (#)" button is only shown is there is ScienceData being held by the EVAing Kerbal.

The "Retrieve Data (#)" button is only shown when there is ScienceData in the Science Container.

Sorry, trying to read and understand what this was saying was like trying to read a logic puzzle... (Press "1" if "2" is lit, otherwise press "3" but if "4 is lit, do not press "3", press "1". etc.....

• 4 weeks later...

After getting a boatload of science after a trip to the mun with my pod auto-collecting all science, i ran a test, and my suspicion was confirmed: I can store the same science many times (crew report in my case), in the same biome, in the same situation. While this in itself is fine, it turned out that it also gives me the full science points for all of these reports.

Is this a bug, or did i miss something? It would be preferable (and less cheaty/more realistic) if the pod discarded duplicates, or at least saw to it that the reward wasn't duplicated as well.

I love the mod for its ability to take away a lot of what i consider boring - EVAing to get data fram that damn accelerometer, because the guy who installed it couldn't be arsed to connect it to the CAN bus.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is @SirDargon going to update the mod anytime soon? I'd love to use it in the new 1.0.2

I've had no problems (besides things complaining it's not compatible with this version) using it in 1.0.2 myself. Though I haven't read the entire thread I'll be honest, so some might be. :)

• 5 months later...

This mod is essential for me and all of us science addicted Kumans.

Would be really nice if SirDragon (last activity Feb 2015) or someone else

could maintain/update that stunning part of modification.

Maybe someone knows a similar option to do (mass) science.

I'm having a look at the code, unfortunately I'm a beginner when it comes to KSP, so as of yet I have no idea why it doesn't work in 1.0.5. If I can figure out, maybe I'll fork it in Github and continue.

Science has always frustrated me a bit in KSP. Crew reports should be store-able immediately, in the part they were generated. (Having to EVA to get my own crew report is just plain broken.)

That said, ultimately science experiments should be configurable as to whether they need supervision or no, as having to EVA to collect the data from various experiments is valid gameplay challenge in a good way.

I believe the reason why it failed due to 1.0.5 is in the update, the KSP developers renamed several different things. I suspect this is where the problem ultimately lies. Unfortunately, that's as far as I'm able to offer insight since I'm no code expert. I'll be eagerly awaiting whatever results you can manage.

That said, thanks for taking the time to look into it. This is a crucial mod for me.

I didn't test anything, but this version should be working; get it on [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzxoxeynoq2zgum/ScienceContainers_v0.08.3.zip?dl=0"]Dropbox[/URL].

It's released under the [URL="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"]Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)[/URL], just as the original by SirDargon.

It should fix the 1.0.5 update problem; it implements the new science data return on transmission failure function now, and it should work properly with science labs.

Source for the change is on [URL="https://github.com/DMagic1/ScienceContainers"]GitHub[/URL]. Edited by DMagic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.