Is there a possibility to change the default throttle to 0 again?

To everyone that hates 50% throttle. Give me a reason, in stock KSP, why it's bad? And not any glitches, like the coming out of timewarp 50% throttle thing.

Because it's an unsatisfying compromise. 0% makes sense; 100% makes sense. 50% makes no sense for a large proportion of players.

I have no strong opinion one way or another, if it solves a common problem new players were experiencing then is fine. Everybody needs to manage the throttle on the engines at launch anyway, so what's the problem of doing so from the middle?

How so? You don't need 100% throttle on mediocre rockets.

I always launch at 100% throttle, whether it be spaceplane or rocket. If my TWR is too high for that, I ditch some boosters. Ain't no sense in carrying engines that you don't need.

I get that there are folks who like the 50% throttle, but judging by the forums I think y'all are very much in the minority.

How so? You don't need 100% throttle on mediocre rockets.

The default should not be aimed at mediocrity. An optimal launch of an optimum rocket is 100% throttle, with a launch TWR right around 2.0, getting to terminal velocity (and then throttling back a little) a bit before SRBs are finished, throttling up again as terminal velocity rises.

0% gives instant feedback that you forgot the throttle. 100% gives the most common optimal/desired throttle at launch. 50% doesn't help newbies, it hinders them, as they are less likely to spot that they forgot the throttle.

Why don't you give us a reason why 50% is good, as there's not been a single good reason given for it so far in this thread so far.

I always launch at 100% throttle, whether it be spaceplane or rocket. If my TWR is too high for that, I ditch some boosters. Ain't no sense in carrying engines that you don't need.

I get that there are folks who like the 50% throttle, but judging by the forums I think y'all are very much in the minority.

Then you have less of a time to get to 100% throttle. It makes it easier for you

To anwser the questions about "why"..I am using kOS, you know the small autopilot to program by myself and I find me often in the situation that a program ends and then it "releases" all the controlls to the player again, with the default setting which is 50% throttle, which can riun your orbit..

Ain't there a kOS command to set throttle to zero? If not, there should be. I'm about to delve into kOS as I'm getting to that point in my Remote Tech career, and I can't imagine NOT having such a command.

The default should not be aimed at mediocrity. An optimal launch of an optimum rocket is 100% throttle, with a launch TWR right around 2.0, getting to terminal velocity (and then throttling back a little) a bit before SRBs are finished, throttling up again as terminal velocity rises.

Entirely not true. It depends entirely on whether you're using stock atmospheres or something better. Plus how you deal with the air in and outside it, and all sorts of other things. There's no 1 size fits all.

Edited by Geschosskopf

The default should not be aimed at mediocrity. An optimal launch of an optimum rocket is 100% throttle... *snip* ... Why don't you give us a reason why 50% is good, as there's not been a single good reason given for it so far in this thread so far.

The reason has been given already: Is a compromise to resolve an issue with new players not knowing how to use the throttle at first glance, just hit spacebar and there you go, rocket launched. On the other hand, I don't use 100% throttle in all my launchs.

I always launch at 100% throttle

I don't, I think 50% is a fine compromise between your needs, my needs and the new players.

I don't, I think 50% is a fine compromise between your needs, my needs and the new players.

But the best one will be: DIY (=setting)

dummies have their 50 % and are happy to see their engines doing something

experienced players could do whatever they want (0, 100, or anything between).

Too bad Squad don't do it this way.

But the best one will be: DIY (=setting)

dummies have their 50 % and are happy to see their engines doing something

experienced players could do whatever they want (0, 100, or anything between).

Too bad Squad don't do it this way.

I´m an experienced player and I don't find it anoying, I don't understand what the fuzz is all about:

1- With zero throttle you need to throttle up, meaning you have to manage your throttle from the beginning because almost all launchs need thrust.

2- With 100% throttle you need to throttle down, meaning you have to manage your throttle from the beginning because not all launches require 100% thrust.

3- With 50% throttle you need to throttle up or down, meaning you have to manage your throttle from the beginning to reach the ideal thrust for your specific launch.

Either way you always need to manage your throttle so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Wooks

Ain't there a kOS command to set throttle to zero? If not, there should be. I'm about to delve into kOS as I'm getting to that point in my Remote Tech career, and I can't imagine NOT having such a command.

As far I understand, kOS rleases the throttle to default after the program ends, which is then 50%... not very satisfying. the only possibility is that you "shut down" the engines before exiting the program.

• 4 months later...

I'm experienced, and it's also not about convenience. Since KSP defaults the throttle to 50%, whenever I don't have my joy stick plugged in and I switch from docking to staged flying mode, every time my throttle is set to 50%, the engines fire and I lose fuel and the precision that I had with the maneuver. It's mighty annoying

I use SRBs radially attached to Liquid Fuel Engines for a lot of my design's launch stages. A lot of the time I only want to use a little bit of thrust so the solid boosters can do most of the work, which saves me fuel.

I don't mind the setting. I doubt the OP meant to upset everyone as much as (s)he did with this nitpick thread.

It seems the real way to compromise is to have the default throttle be set in the prefs. Then no more `Why no flames or thrust?` from noobs and people who have launched more than a single rocket are not inconvenienced every single time they launch one from then on. Then the people who say they want a 50% default can have it too.

Ideally I'd like to be able to set the default throttle on a per craft basis in the VAB, probably as part of staging.

Being able to adjust the default throttle globally via the settings menu would be a perfectly acceptable second choice.

It'd be a small quality-of-life improvement. Having to hit 'z' before I launch the rocket isn't a huge deal, but I would greatly appreciate this kind of change.

Launch at 50% throttle is inefficient and non-optimal.

Personally I NEVER launch at 50%.

0% when I just want toactive the engine, 100% when I want take off immediately, never 50%.

Customziable starting states (throttle, SAS on/off etc.) would be welcomed in option menu.

• 2 years later...

This may seem like necro-posting but I feel the question never did get answered and this question may come up for someone else again.

You posted that your need is specifically with kOS.

On 8/15/2014 at 4:14 PM, WeirdCulture said:

To anwser the questions about "why"..I am using kOS, you know the small autopilot to program by myself and I find me often in the situation that a program ends and then it "releases" all the controlls to the player again, with the default setting which is 50% throttle, which can riun your orbit..

The following command does the same thing as pressing 'x' so you can put this into your code once and always come out of script with a 0 throttle.

SET SHIP:CONTROL:PILOTMAINTHROTTLE TO 0.

In the main menu settings (Main Menu > Settings > General) is an option called "Default Throttle in Prelaunch". You can move this slider to 0 to get your starting throttle down (for all newly launched vessels).

On 2017-6-12 at 2:00 AM, JediMasterSterling1 said:

This may seem like necro-posting but I feel the question never did get answered and this question may come up for someone else again.

The following command does the same thing as pressing 'x' so you can put this into your code once and always come out of script with a 0 throttle.

yeah but the command messed up my scripts in some situations... then I found the default setting in KSP setting to set it to 0. much better sollution

PS: I love grave digging post :confused:

Edited by WeirdCulture
gravediggin

On 12-6-2017 at 2:00 AM, JediMasterSterling1 said:

6 hours ago, WeirdCulture said:

yeah but the command messed up my scripts in some situations... then I found the default setting in KSP setting to set it to 0. much better sollution

PS: I love grave digging post :confused:

It's about time to come out of posting-retirement, I haven't posted for months for various reasons, non of which I will explain here or any place else. Too many prudes, posers and wannabe's will take offence.

There hasn't been ANY reason to put ANY extra code lines ANYWHERE to set the throttle for a LONG time!

Go into the settings menu. On the VERY FIRST page move the default throttle slider down to 0.| Yes, it is that simple if people just bothered to look.

P.S.
This is one of those very rare occasions SQUAD actually listened to complaints and gave the players an option to choose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.