2 Easy to fly VTOL craft.

Hummingbird and Grasshopper

I don't very often venture in to trying to build aircraft capable of VTOL flight, but I've had a lot of fun with these two, and both are quite simple to fly, so I thought I would share them.

Hummingbird : a fast nimble bird, capable of maintaining flight at the hover.

This craft can launch either conventionally or vertically, and land either way too. For vertical take off, a touch more than 1/3 throttle is enough to become airbourne.

Action group keys:

1 to toggle the vertical lift engine

2 to toggle the horizontal flight engine

hum1.png

hum2.png

hum3.png

hum4.png

hum5.png

Grasshopper : A slender insect capable of flight, but usually restricted to short jumps.

1/3 throttle is enough to hover, so plenty of power in reserve. Movement is controlled by the attitude of the aircraft, with smooth turns benefitting from coordinated use of the roll and yaw controls.

grass1.PNG

grass2.PNG

grass3.PNG

grass4.PNG

grass5.PNG

Hummingbird craft file

Grasshopper craft file

Edited by Scarecrow88

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I also have a twin engine version of the Hummingbird (i.e. 2 engines for normal flight) which is a little bit faster if anyone is interested. I had to move things slightly to maintain the CoM due to the greater mass and positioning of the 2 engines compared to the single engine version, but the changes were very small so as not to look like a completely different design.

hum_II.png

Hummingbird II craft file

Edited by Scarecrow88

You can do a nice trick with I-Beams, vertical snap (form Editor Extensions), and a lot of care with the symmetry to simulate a bigass ducted fan:

B0Loj0e.png

zWERJKZ.png

...which actually looks a lot like your grasshopper. Great minds, right?

Rune. Mine's in the skunkworks, BTW.

Edited by Rune

I have very few mods, but managed to attach the engines and SAS 'ducts' to the I-beams by way of one of the small rectangular girders. The Editor Extension mod does sound like a useful tool however. I have also considered the mod that allows you to choose alternative roots, as trying to attach something in places that doesn't have a root by default is just about impossible.

You can do a nice trick with I-Beams, vertical snap (form Editor Extensions), and a lot of care with the symmetry to simulate a bigass ducted fan:

Jep, had the same idea, but without editor extensions.

hNWqqe8.png

Cool designs guys :)

Jep, had the same idea, but without editor extensions.

http://i.imgur.com/hNWqqe8.png

Cool designs guys :)

That works because the RAPIERS have surface attachment, right? So you couldn't use that with the lighter and more efficient jets. Also, because otherwise I have no idea how you did it. Anyhow, I remember that VTOL of yours, most awesome indeed sir.

Rune. It's where I got the idea from, actually, so credit goes where credit is due.

Dear Sir,

it was a lot easyer to be honest. I just surface-attached the I-beams directly to the SAS-module (a bit wierd, cause the surface is invisible there) with 8x-symmetry and rotated them til it looked nice. Made a subassembly of it, et voilà.

The only reason I used the rapiers for that craft is, that they were new and shiny back then, and I thought they looked a bit cooler on that particular design. (and if I remember correctly, I hoped, they wouldn´t react so sluggish on throttle input... nope)

THX for the flowers :blush:

Edited by KerrMü

Dear Sir,

it was a lot easyer to be honest. I just surface-attached the I-beams directly to the SAS-module (a bit wierd, cause the surface is invisible there) with 8x-symmetry and rotated them til it looked nice. Made a subassembly of it, et voilà.

The only reason I used the rapiers for that craft is, that they were new and shiny back then, and I thought they looked a bit cooler on that particular design. (and if I remember correctly, I hoped, they wouldn´t react so sluggish on throttle input... nope)

THX for the flowers :blush:

Oh, to the top of the SAS module. *facepalm* Seems so obvious now, my way is much more complicated, though it needs less rotation of the part I think. Yup, no need for any Ed extensions indeed, just part clipping on.

Rune. When you have a hammer (Ed Extensions), every problem starts to look like nails.

Edited by Rune

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.