[1.0.5] Snacks! Kerbal simplified life support v0.3.5

tgruetzm

I too would like to see an option for Kerbals to die from lack of snacks...but, perhaps with a twist?

Something like this:

Kerbals consume snacks at their normal rate (as a side note, why is it 1/2 a snack a day, rather than just having it be 1 snack per kerbal per day, and adjust the capacity of snack containers upwards accordingly?), just as they are now. However, you can have an alternative "ration" mode, which reduces their consumption to a much lower rate (1/4 or 1/10 of normal, perhaps), but this gives you the reputation penalty. If a kerbal runs out of rations completely, after a suitable period (a few days, perhaps), they die.

Optionally (I don't know if this could be coded), kerbals in ration mode are disabled: they can't be doing tiring activities while on strict rations. They have to conserve their energy. So, kerbals in ration mode would be unable to pilot, go EVA, do science, etc.

Naturally, changing modes applies to the entire ship, rather than individual kerbals, for two reasons: one, I can imagine it'd be fiddly and annoying to go through a 10 kerbal ship toggling modes (and probably more difficult to code?), and two, it'd be horrible for the moral of the poor kerbals to have Jeb eating heartily while Bill starves on his reduced rations.

This gives you some interesting gameplay options. Got a ship stuck out on Duna with a diminishing snack supply? Crap! Better send out a resupply mission pronto! But to launch a resupply mission powerful enough to get out there in time, taking a very inefficient fast route, would be very expensive. What about the alternative...telling the kerbals on the ship to conserve their rations? They'd go hungry, but they'd live. It wouldn't look very good for you back home, though: starving astronauts are a very high-profile failure, hurting your reputation. Which do you pick? Funds or reputation...or lives?

I would LOVE to play that variant.

Any thoughts on this suggestion?

• 3 weeks later...
With 0.90, I had to update a lot of mods and get drawn to Snacks once again! What a great mod!

I've read the whole thread to catch up but still have a doubt: is it possible to disable it on certain saves?

Currently it's not possible to disable for certain saves. I've been slacking in the development of this mod for the last few months, but I'm back ready to make some improvements. I'd like to remove kerbal experience bonuses for snack deprived kerbals and add optional death when kerbals run out.

I've rebuilt the mod for .90, and haven't noticed any issues. I'll post an updated version shortly, but the prior should work fine as well.

Hi everyone!

I've created a little part pack to go with this mod.

The small snack part gives you 10 snacks, the larger part gives you 30. They are found under the Utility tab.

I love this mod, so I wanted to contribute somehow!

Pic and link -

SmallSnack-1.png

Download

Edited by -ctn-

Hi everyone!

The small snack part gives you 10 snacks, the larger part gives you 30. They are found under the Utility tab.

Pic and link -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/MoviesColin/SmallSnack-1.png

Download

It looks cute! Are those KAS-grabbable?

Currently it's not possible to disable for certain saves. I've been slacking in the development of this mod for the last few months, but I'm back ready to make some improvements. I'd like to remove kerbal experience bonuses for snack deprived kerbals and add optional death when kerbals run out.

I've rebuilt the mod for .90, and haven't noticed any issues. I'll post an updated version shortly, but the prior should work fine as well.

Is it possible for snack-deprived kerbals to actually LOSE experience? Say, 1XP per each day without snacks?

That's a great idea biohazard. A level 5 scientist can return enormous amounts of science points if he has an entire Hitchhiker can of space/snacks to himself, but if he has to spend weeks in a simple Mk1 pods he'll go crazy from the lack of space/snacks and perform just as badly as a rookie scientists. That would add some incentive to build large interplanetary ships instead of just a pod and single crew cabin for a crew of 6.

Is it possible for snack-deprived kerbals to actually LOSE experience? Say, 1XP per each day without snacks?
Eh... so long as it's only temporary - the kerbals get the experience back when you return to Kerbin (they take a vacation).

Wouldn't want my level-5 crew to suddenly become useless and have to be retrained... or worse, have no more destinations for them TO be retrained on.

I released a rebuilt version for .90, but there are no functional changes. See the first post.

Eh... so long as it's only temporary - the kerbals get the experience back when you return to Kerbin (they take a vacation).

Wouldn't want my level-5 crew to suddenly become useless and have to be retrained... or worse, have no more destinations for them TO be retrained on.

My plans are to make Kerbals act as if they have 0 experience when deprived, but they would get the benefit back after they get more snacks.

Hi everyone!

Pic and link -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/MoviesColin/SmallSnack-1.png

Download

These are awesome looking. With -ctn's permission I added these as a link from the original post.

happy snacking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, tgruetzm! Happy 2015!

Is there a tool to calculate how long a trip will take? Alex's window planner only calculates from Kerbin to other planeta and moons, I'd line to depart from Kerbin, orbital Mundo, then land on Minmus and returno to Kerbin. How do I calculate how many days will it take?

I'd still like the ability to kill them if I run out as an enforcement mechanism.

This is already doable: in GameData\Snacks\PluginData\Snacks\ you will find a file called "snacks.cfg". Open it, and change kerbalDeath = False to kerbalDeath = True, and your kerbals should die when they run out of snacks.

Okay, before I start saying ive found a bug, :blush: Has anyone else seen behavior in .90 with the newest version, where Kerbals wont eat snacks? I had Jeb in orbit for almost 2 kerbin days, waiting on a docking, and as I was going in for the docking, I noticed he hadn't eaten any snacks on board. I know that there's a little randomness built in, but that seems a little excessive. Im not sure if it was a randomly long, normal thing, or if I've got a conflict in mods somewhere. I'm going to run further testing, I was just curious if anyone else has seen this. If I can confirm an issue, I'll drop logs here, just don't want to send anyone hunting through logs for an error on my end, thanks!

Edit: Further testing proved the mod was running as expected. Jeb just didn't eat for some reason.

Edited by vardicd

Hey, tgruetzm! Thank you so much for this mod, seriously! Pretty simple, but it's one of those must-have mods, once you install it. :D Keep up the great work.

Although it doesn't seems to break anything, I noticed I'm having the following error lines on the log:

Snacks - FixedUpdate: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at Planetarium.GetUniversalTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Snacks.SnackController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is anyone else having this, by any chance?

Thanks!

I do get a ***load of those on load, but not during gameplay. Seems mostly harmless, so far.

Hey, tgruetzm! Thank you so much for this mod, seriously! Pretty simple, but it's one of those must-have mods, once you install it. :D Keep up the great work.

Although it doesn't seems to break anything, I noticed I'm having the following error lines on the log:

Snacks - FixedUpdate: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at Planetarium.GetUniversalTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Snacks.SnackController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is anyone else having this, by any chance?

Thanks!