[1.0.5] Snacks! Kerbal simplified life support v0.3.5

tgruetzm

Yup, nothing during gameplay as well. Most like they happened during the launch. Thanks for the answer.

-Edit-

Also, is it just me, or this mod also makes the Mun Castle appear on every single game launch? ;)

Edited by Kowgan

This is already doable: in GameData\Snacks\PluginData\Snacks\ you will find a file called "snacks.cfg". Open it, and change kerbalDeath = False to kerbalDeath = True, and your kerbals should die when they run out of snacks.

Just an FYI, that setting isn't implemented yet. I added it while I was adding other settings, but the implementation is a bit trickier than I expected. I still need to work out some details, you wouldn't want your kerbal to die on an EVA when he went 10 minutes too long without a snack :)

Hey, tgruetzm! Thank you so much for this mod, seriously! Pretty simple, but it's one of those must-have mods, once you install it. :D Keep up the great work.

Although it doesn't seems to break anything, I noticed I'm having the following error lines on the log:

Snacks - FixedUpdate: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at Planetarium.GetUniversalTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Snacks.SnackController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is anyone else having this, by any chance?

Thanks!

I haven't had time to look into this yet, it doesn't occur for me but I think I can come up with a solution.

Edited by tgruetzm

It's totally fine. Thanks for the support, though. :)

Any thoughts on the Mun Castle thing (as per my last post)?

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a lot of the Mun Castles. I'm not sure how Snacks would cause that behavior or if it's really occurring every time.

Interesting. Well, since I installed Snacks! here, the castle shows up on every single launch, religiously. :) if I go to the settings screen and come back, the castle won't be there, though.

I haven't uninstalled the mod yet to check if it is really related to this "issue". I'll do it today later.

It's not a problem, though. I just thought it was an easter-egg, and wanted to confirm it here.

It would be funny if it were actually a Blizzy's Toolbar easter-egg that only activates when Snacks! is also installed, just to create some confusion. :P

CTNsnacks.zip? I couldn't find it here.

This is the official mod download link, for the latest version: https://github.com/tgruetzm/Snacks/releases/download/v0.3.3alpha/Snacks.v0.3.3alpha.zip

Put the "Snacks" folder into your GameData folder, make sure you have the latest ModuleManager .dll file in the GameData folder as well, and you should be fine.

CTNsnacks.zip? I couldn't find it here.

This is the official mod download link, for the latest version: https://github.com/tgruetzm/Snacks/releases/download/v0.3.3alpha/Snacks.v0.3.3alpha.zip

Put the "Snacks" folder into your GameData folder, make sure you have the latest ModuleManager .dll file in the GameData folder as well, and you should be fine.

I think that's the ZIP for the Snack Packs that someone in the middle of this thread made.

Edit: Here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90841-0-90-Snacks%21-Kerbal-simplified-life-support-v0-3-3?p=1621050&viewfull=1#post1621050

Edited by kalrand

Ah, yes! How could I forget?

As far as I understand this pack, you can simply drag the CTNsnacks folder into your GameData folder. But I wasn't able to make it work on mine. Let me check again.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, it works.

GameData\CTNsnacks

I've created a little part pack to go with this mod.

The small snack part gives you 10 snacks, the larger part gives you 30. They are found under the Utility tab.

They're cute, but you forgot to add "techRequired" and "entryCost" entries to put them in the tech tree. Without those, they don't show up under Career or Science modes. Also, you forgot to account for the cost of the included snacks when setting part costs - those space-grade rubber bands do cost money, after all. :D

With that in mind, I tweaked the stats as follows:

TechRequired = survivability

entryCost = 200

cost = 20

TechRequired = spaceExploration

entryCost = 400

cost = 40

Any news on this mod?

----- edit -----

I know I'm late to bring this up, but don't you think 50 snacks per commanding pod is a bit too much? That would give an autonomy of a hundred kerbal days, almost a month of earth-days. Shouldn't it be enough to go to Minmus, something like 10 or 15 snacks?

Edited by jlcarneiro
Add questions about balance

Hi everyone!

I've created a little part pack to go with this mod.

The small snack part gives you 10 snacks, the larger part gives you 30. They are found under the Utility tab.

I love this mod, so I wanted to contribute somehow!

Pic and link -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/MoviesColin/SmallSnack-1.png

Download

I think you can add KAS support with this config file:

@PART[snackpak]:NEEDS[Snacks]{
@attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0
MODULE {
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 1
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

@PART[smallsnack]:NEEDS[Snacks]{
@attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0
MODULE {
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 3
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Tell me if I've made any mistakes.

tgruetzm, I love your mod and use it in all my saves. I like that it forces you to make ships with lots of habitable space for interplanetary travel so you can't just stick your kerbal in a small capsule and send him to Jool. The only issue is that there is no way to produce snacks away from Kerbin. Since we can’t produce fuel either that’s not a problem. I send snacks with my fuel resupply missions.

With 1.0 we’ll get fuel production so I would like to make a proposition. What if the Mobile Processing Lab could produce Snacks from LFO at rate of 0,9 fuel, 1,1 oxidizer and 100 electric charge per snack. That way it will still be more mass efficient to carry them in habitation modules, but if you have a source of fuel you could make a self-sufficient bases.

Additionally if there are engineers in the MPL that could reduce the electric charge necessary for snack production. For example in there are no engineers in it will cost 100 EC per snack, every engineer will reduce the charge needed by 10 and every level that engineer has will reduce it by 5. If there are two five star engineers in the MPL it will cost just 30 EC to make a snack.

I hope you find my proposition interesting.

Edited by mitko

I was looking at adding a green house, but don't want to add the rest of the required mods to make that work. Too many mods installed already.

If you are talking about Whyren's greenhouses then they don't require any additional mods other than Snacks!, if you want just his greenhouses but not his other parts then you can delete those parts you don't want and keep the ones you do.

Just wanted to let you know that in my output_log of KSP_Data imj getting A LOT of these start errors:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49) Snacks - FixedUpdate: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Planetarium.GetUniversalTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Snacks.SnackController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I will be looking at and showcasing Life Support MODS...tho this one looks interesting I will give it a whirl but cant guarantee...I just created my own snack resource and functionality; I may be able to add this; my 'snacks' also get produced so they will never run out !!

(EDIT):

(Edit: The CTN Snack Packs link ports to this one lol...maybe you made those?!)

Since there arnt many posts in here I am editing my results here...I will be back later if there are any problems; other than that I am also trying it out on live stream this morning harr...I added the @Part KAS cfg(s); I am getting the hang of @Part code now thanks to this MOD however I had a problem with other parts exploding in the VAB (getting bigger as you howver over the part); not sure if it was the patch.cfg and @Part files; I really prefer to redo the actual part file so everything esle doesnt get corrupted; unless everything else works ! I dont think it was this patch file though I had another hard-coded DLL causing that issue I think and removed it... )

Now for the good schtuff... (!)

I see that you have Snacks produced just by ElectricCharge and AFKSnacks just adding up; I changed that quite immensely !! I have them setup to be produced just like an actual Food Resource (Well not quite yet but I am close to a breakthru; it probly can be done but I am not sure yet); at any rate, instead of just electric charge, now all my Greenhouse/Koylent Factory input resources for Snack 'Production' produces your 'Snacks' !

The problem is not the production, but in the consumption. Actually now that I think of it I am using Snacks by Whyren's production facility to do the above conversion ! I also am using it in my BIOMASS Greenhouse and the Koylent Factory; I didnt even know what the Koylent BIOMASS part was and since it didnt really do anything I made it into a Snack factory; I was looking for a more portable one; the part model is washing out on me due to some other MOD or 2 that can be sorted.

The idea is this: The Greenhouse produces Food that Kerbals eat at a certain rate; Snacks arent real Food; but a simple conversion can equate Snacks to Food in a production chain; that part is easy. Then I used a SnackCounter to keep track of Snacks produced but in order for Kerbals to eat those Snacks as Food...well that is another story.

Yes I understand your 'Snacks' are totally separate from Food; but they dont have to be !

I am using Snacks as a ration of 1 part to allow 1 Kerbal to survive and run the Greenhouse to produce excess Food (My Greenhouse supports 4 Kerbals - 3 parts Food and 1 part Snack).

I dont understand the rest of your MOD (REP effects etc), and for the most part, Snacks(Food) is always available; the trick is to get them to eat Snacks not Food and the way to do this is to produce it as Food in a Snack production line; I may be talking in circles but the idea is here and shouldnt have to be hardcoded)

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

It looks cute! Are those KAS-grabbable?

No but you can make them, just modify the part.cfg files a but, heres how:

For KAS to work, you'll need the KASModuleGrab in there, like this:

MODULE {

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

stateless = false

storedSize = 5

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

The storedsize is the amount of space it'll take in a KAS container. For me, the small pack takes 5, the big one takes 10 places but you can make them smaller if you wish :)

I also added them to the Tech-Tree so I can use it in Career mode, and for thet to work, I added two lines to the // --- editor parameters --- part in the .cfg.

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

The TechRequired in the node on the Tech tree (start for the small one and survivability for the bug one). The entryCost has no purpose at the moment so I have the at 0.

I hope I could help :wink:

• 1 month later...

I don't want to make any timeframe promises, but 1.0 has me itching to play KSP again and to build upon this mod.

I haven't tried this mod as is with 1.0 yet, but I'd like to make some improvements.

1. I need to fix some issues with the base code, most of it was done as a quick prototype but in general works pretty well.

2. I've really wanted to build a way to make snacks off Kerbin. I wanted this to include some type of resource conversion, but didn't want to depend on other mods for it. My current code/dev build has a soil resource, but it just didn't work well so I never finished/released it. Mostly I don't have strong 3D modeling skills, so a key requirement for me is no parts. My plan would be to require ore to manufacture snacks in the lab module.

3. Most importantly to me anyways is to temporarily remove all Kerbal abilities when snacks are out. This is by far the first thing I want to add, since I think as is there's not a strong enough penalty to running out.

I like #3 its much better than saying snacks are electric charge for kerbals :D

but please when you update can you either.

A. make snacks massless

or...

B. make snacks produce some form of waste (ore?)

so it doesn't look like the ships mass is just magically disappearing as the kerbals eat.