[1.0.5] Snacks! Kerbal simplified life support v0.3.5

tgruetzm

Is "snacks" a generic resource? If so, I might just have to write in a few generators, much like the popular internet game cookie clicker. Giant snack solar arrays out in a space station generating snacks, very Kerbal.

Anyway, awesome mod, I love how you managed to kerbalize the concept of life support (Haven't once touched TAC, because it's so darn complicated).

Best of luck to you!

Snacks are a regular resource. Snack factories are coming in the next version, but feel free to make your own if you'd like. The idea is you need supply a soil sample(as a source of hydrogen,oxygen and carbon the building blocks of sugar) to a mobile processing lab and lots of electricity. The the kerbals convert it to sugar and make snacks in the labs kitchen.

So, I guess I lied. I got out of work early and spent the afternoon tidying up the code base and testing. I published v0.3 alpha to my github repository.

Yay thanks!

Snacks is progressing well, and has some interesting features coming up.

Quite fun :)

I love this mod, btw I modded storage containers from KAS and a wedge from Universal Storage to be snack containers for those resupply runs!

WgEPD3i.jpg

The KSO Atlantis Prepares for liftoff with a resupply cargo of snacks, packed away in their Snacktainers, for the orbiting Kerbin Station!

Edited by vardicd

I love this mod, btw I modded storage containers from KAS and a wedge from Universal Storage to be snack containers for those resupply runs!

http://i.imgur.com/WgEPD3i.jpg

The KSO Atlantis Prepares for liftoff with a resupply cargo of snacks, packed away in their Snacktainers, for the orbiting Kerbin Station!

Looks awesome. This I one place where I think snacks should be allowed in dedicated parts. I plan to add configuration to the stock mod to add this. If you have module manager config for this, would you share?

Looks awesome. This I one place where I think snacks should be allowed in dedicated parts. I plan to add configuration to the stock mod to add this. If you have module manager config for this, would you share?

I Have no idea how to make a MM config file. I copied the part folder and edited the config for it directly.

I added this:

RESOURCE

{

name= Snacks

amount = 250

maxAmount = 250

}

Deleted this:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 40

}

And changed its part name from : Container Type A to: Snacktainer Type A

Empty KAS containers are kinda light wouldn't they simply become the snack storage of choice instead of a part that provides living space if they stored that much?

I just edited this for my game in 2 minutes, I didn't balance it or cost study it or anything :) For me, light snack storage was the plan. ;)

Whyren created a Snacks Life Support parts mod to grow and store Snacks: Link to mod

I think it's great that another player was so impressed with the Snacks Life Support mod that he created parts to go with it. It's Whyren's first mod, too.

Edited by Apollo13

Ohh, minor bug report here.

I noticed that switching between saves seems to jam up the status display.. as in, it shows the supply stats from the first save, frozen, after loading another save. Going back to the first save doesn't seem to unjam it either.

Quitting and restarting clears it, of course.

Whyren created a Snacks Life Support parts mod to grow and store Snacks: Link to mod

I think it's great that another player was so impressed with the Snacks Life Support mod that he created parts to go with it. It's Whyren's first mod, too.

Thanks, Apollo13.

If anyone has any feedback on balance or anything, let me know. Thanks to Apollo13's input, KAS functionality will be coming soon. Also, you are welcome to post a link in the OP or not, as you see fit. I switched from TAC to your mod because I found with TAC the lethality made it so I was never able to enjoy the kerbal pastime of the rescue mission. They always died of oxygen deprivation before another launch window opened up! Also like the 1-resource simplicity and tried to keep my additional parts (Greenhouses and snack containers) just as simple.

Thanks, Apollo13.

If anyone has any feedback on balance or anything, let me know. Thanks to Apollo13's input, KAS functionality will be coming soon. Also, you are welcome to post a link in the OP or not, as you see fit. I switched from TAC to your mod because I found with TAC the lethality made it so I was never able to enjoy the kerbal pastime of the rescue mission. They always died of oxygen deprivation before another launch window opened up! Also like the 1-resource simplicity and tried to keep my additional parts (Greenhouses and snack containers) just as simple.

Good work Whyren. I added a link to the OP to assist others in finding complementary mods.

Ohh, minor bug report here.

I noticed that switching between saves seems to jam up the status display.. as in, it shows the supply stats from the first save, frozen, after loading another save. Going back to the first save doesn't seem to unjam it either.

Quitting and restarting clears it, of course.

Thanks for noticing this. The fix appears to be quite simple. I'm putting together a patch that allows for the snack window to always show the latest data. So EVA and docking changes will also be reflected accurately.

Edited by tgruetzm

Thanks for noticing this. The fix appears to be quite simple. I'm putting together a patch that allows for the snack window to always show the latest data. So EVA and docking changes will also be reflected accurately.

Ah, cool, and thanks :)

Snacks is quite fun, and has that light-hearted, silly kerbal feeling, so it fits in with stock very well.

Why only 10 snacks in the RoveMate? Why not 150 for example? It's pretty useless anyway. I think they would look neat if strapped on the sides of many interplanetary ships. Like the mid-section of Discovery:

discovery.jpg

I know I could edit that myself, but I also like having what everybody else has.

The RoveMate stores a few snacks because I think it's useful for long duration rover missions. Similar to how an external command seat holds two snacks. 150 snacks is the same as an mk1-2 and is too many for the RoveMate in my opinion.

Since there are some awesome options for snack baking capabilities that the community has built(linked from the OP if you need them). I'm going to focus my efforts away from snack ovens. To be honest I haven't really started, but I still would like a stock snack oven that requires planetary samples to function. I really think there needs to be better penalties when Kerbals run out of snacks. Things that affect the Kerbals directly. I'm toying with a few options.

I really think there needs to be better penalties when Kerbals run out of snacks. Things that affect the Kerbals directly. I'm toying with a few options.

The two options I've seen employed so far are 1) eliminate the Kerbal (or eliminate the Kerbal after missing n#snacks or 2) turn off command of the pod so it can't be controlled. I heartily agree that it should impact your mission and not simply shrink an arbitrary score that doesn't seem to do much beyond stroke the player's ego.

You could always include an options menu somewhere to make the penalty toggleable by player preference.

OH, I just had an idea; maybe have the Kerbal goes dormant after missing n# snacks and no longer counts as a crewman for controlling a pod. If all of your crew go dormant then that pod is no longer controlled.

The RoveMate stores a few snacks because I think it's useful for long duration rover missions. Similar to how an external command seat holds two snacks. 150 snacks is the same as an mk1-2 and is too many for the RoveMate in my opinion.

Since there are some awesome options for snack baking capabilities that the community has built(linked from the OP if you need them). I'm going to focus my efforts away from snack ovens. To be honest I haven't really started, but I still would like a stock snack oven that requires planetary samples to function. I really think there needs to be better penalties when Kerbals run out of snacks. Things that affect the Kerbals directly. I'm toying with a few options.

using fuzzy math here but if a rovemate held as much snacks for its weight compared to the hitchhiker can then it should hold roughly 50 snacks( for those who want to use rovemates as useful aesthetic elements)

as for space ovens... Dang it I was looking forward to mods that can convert science experiments into resources. not to mention everyone made mods using extra models in anticipation of you having plans for the stock science lab. Oh well can't be helped if you didn't follow your own whims of fun and fancy we wouldn't have this mod at all.

as for kerbal penalties I think the science transmission penalty would be the best another would be a union fee but only have it charged once when a kerbal goes from having snacks to having no snacks not every round the kerbal goes hungry

using fuzzy math here but if a rovemate held as much snacks for its weight compared to the hitchhiker can then it should hold roughly 50 snacks( for those who want to use rovemates as useful aesthetic elements)

as for space ovens... Dang it I was looking forward to mods that can convert science experiments into resources. not to mention everyone made mods using extra models in anticipation of you having plans for the stock science lab. Oh well can't be helped if you didn't follow your own whims of fun and fancy we wouldn't have this mod at all.

as for kerbal penalties I think the science transmission penalty would be the best another would be a union fee but only have it charged once when a kerbal goes from having snacks to having no snacks not every round the kerbal goes hungry

I never actually tried to calculate how many snacks a RoveMate should get based on weight. I just felt 10 was about right, maybe I'll revisit it. Ovens are coming, I have no intent of abandoning them. I just have limited time at the moment and I think that would be better spent on penalties.

Why only 10 snacks in the RoveMate? Why not 150 for example? It's pretty useless anyway. I think they would look neat if strapped on the sides of many interplanetary ships. Like the mid-section of Discovery:

I know I could edit that myself, but I also like having what everybody else has.

Have you checked out my parts pack? I think you might be able to achieve a similar look with the radial snacktainers. Link is in the OP if you want to check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried this out in 64-bit? My snacks status window is empty. EDIT: It is working fine today and I can't reproduce the problem. Sorry!

Edited by Whyren
Sometimes I am wrong.

For those looking for snack containers or generators, I just released a major update for my part pack. I now have pretty inline containers as well as the radial ones. Also, if you leave a base or station with a greenhouse it will now give you the Snacks you generated while away once you return.

I published a bug fix patch v0.3.1. This fixes quite a few issues with the supply window. The supply window now always shows data based on the current situation.

Time to work on some new functionality now.