Interplanetary Space Shuttle and Payload

8QZnthY.png

The challenge here is to make an interplanetary space shuttle. I tried it earlier today and I realized that it was ridiculously large and infeasible, and that's exactly what Kerbal Space Program is all about.

So! The criteria I want are as follows, put into a chiseled scoring system.

1) The upper stage must be able to return to Kerbin and land on the runway at KSC. Drogue parachutes are allowed, but it's gotta land like an airplane.

2) Once in orbit you can only have one remaining stage. No getting rid of fuel tanks or separating engines- the shuttle you get into Kerbin orbit is what you're taking to another planet and back. The only exception is probe payloads, which will get you a lot of points.

3) At minimum the shuttle must enter orbit around the alien planet. No flybys.

4) The only allowed mod is MechJeb. You can have other mods installed, of course, as long as you don't use the parts and it doesn't change game physics.

5) In-orbit docking and refueling is allowed only at Kerbin.

Scoring:

• 500 points for every Kerbal aboard and recovered
  • 1 point for every m/s of delta-v the shuttle alone has once in KO
  • 1000*F points, where F is the fraction of the cost of the shuttle to the cost of all other stages.
  • 1000 points for every ton of payload brought to the planet.
  • 5 points if you send me the .craft file and I can replicate your results ^^

Planetary multipliers:

• Moho- x100
  • Eve- x5
  • Kerbin- x0.1
  • Duna- x5
  • Dres- x25
  • Jool- x20
  • Eeloo- x100

Note that the scoring numbers and rules are subject to change if I find some sort of undesirable loophole. The nature of an 'undesirable loophole' is entirely up to me. That may sound intimidating, but I promise I won't be mean about it.

Also if you cheat I will be very sad :(

Edited by Imaginer1

You don't need mods to get your Delta-V stats. The formula is very simple. I always calculate my Delta-V with my phone calculator from the map view.

ISP Vac of your Engine(s) * 9,82 * ln( ships total mass in Kerbin orbit / ( ships total mass - ( liquid fuel / 90 ) ) ).

For example, a 10t ship with 360 units of liquid fuel and LV-N engines has: 800 * 9,82 * ln ( 10 / ( 10 - ( 360/90 ) ) ) = 800 * 9,82 * ln ( 10 / 6 ) 4013m/s delta-V.

This of course only works if you have the needed oxidizer for the units of liquid fuel you use and assumes you are not using your engines in an atmosphere.(because then the ISP changes depending on altitude).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.