[0.25] Not Enough Struts v1.0

PatPL

NOTE! Add-on needs ModuleManager to work!

Hi! This is my first KSP Add-on release. This mod adds 9 new Strut Connectors to the game: 8 avaible in career and science mode (1 for each tier) and 1 for Sandbox.

STRUTS:

Name | Cost | Mass | Strength

(Stock Ingame Strut | 42 | 0.05 | 150)

Better Struts can be longer

1. Gold | 250 | 0.25 | 30
  2. Lead | 40 | 0.1 | 90
  3. Iron | 25 | 0.08 | 170
  4. Steel | 40 | 0.07 | 340
  5. Cobalt | 90 | 0.11 | 1400
  6. Uranium | 90 | 0.2 | 8000
  7. Osmium | 140 | 0.25 | 240'000
  8. Quantum | 600 | 0.005 | 800'000

• InfinitiStrut | 1400 | 0.0001 | approx. 99'999'999 (Sandbox only)

2vd46zk.jpg

I hope you will enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD v1.1 (Changed download link)

Module Manager Thread

UPDATE!

Thanks for all suppport I have received. I have just completed and tested this new Update:

v1.1 - Vessels with stock struts aren't deleted anymore. Stock struts are replaced with Steel struts in existing vessels and saved ships.

Have fun!

Edited by PatPL
Update

This is nice work!

You should consider repainting struts on some normal color because I cant imagine using purple struts on my serious looking ship :)

And materials are... well... just stupid (sorry for that).

But why should I even want to use Gold or Iron or (OMG) Uranium?

Make Aluminium alloys, Steel, Hardsteel, Nitridized steel, Titanium alloys, Carbon, Magnesium alloys. And then some Scifi materials like Adamantium, Karbon (Special doubletime carbon composite) and other.

Use more reality.

Then its goin to be my Number One strut mode because I desparate to use KW Rocketry only for Struts :(

@Chezburgar It IS pointless, it's in "Start" tech, so it have to be as bad as possible

This is nice work!

You should consider repainting struts on some normal color because I cant imagine using purple struts on my serious looking ship :)

And materials are... well... just stupid (sorry for that).

But why should I even want to use Gold or Iron or (OMG) Uranium?

Make Aluminium alloys, Steel, Hardsteel, Nitridized steel, Titanium alloys, Carbon, Magnesium alloys. And then some Scifi materials like Adamantium, Karbon (Special doubletime carbon composite) and other.

Use more reality.

Then its goin to be my Number One strut mode because I desparate to use KW Rocketry only for Struts :(

Thanks for the idea, and have fun :)

Someone may want to use golden or lead struts when starting new career

Edited by PatPL

Does anything in Kerbal-universe makes any sense? ;)

well

let me explain then

for something to be considered a good material for a strut, it has to have a high tensile strength and also rigid, i.e. a high young's modulus

i.e. the idea of choosing some very hard but brittle or unstable material is fundamentally wrong.

it makes a lot more sense if the higher tier materials are something like a polyatomic sp2 carbon network (like those in carbon nanotubes or graphenes); i am feeling sp2 silicon are good too (like those silicates)

it doesnt even make sense for those hard but brittle metal (which is also rare and hard to process) or those not-even-physically-stable elements to be yielding a high strength.

(yes some cobalt alloy are high in strength, but, there are a lot of alternatives that give the same order of magnitude of (or better) strength yet way more common and light and reasonable to use, prime example is carbon fibers or many carbide steel)

you know,

even KSP doesnt make sense, which is true,

it still doesnt make uranium or osmium good strut materials.\

dont even make me comment on gold and lead.

they are plain stupid, and i dont even bother explaining, you check their respective MSDS (or wiki if you cant find them) and figure out yourself.

[edit]

just checked the data of Iron,

cast iron (~5% carbon) has a tensile strength of ~200Mpa,

which is about half of that of bamboo and human hair.

hm... science is interesting, isnt it?

ps. i am not trained in material science, please correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by lammatt

Many folks are complaining of the use of various metals for the struts because in the real world, they don't make sense. Bloody hell, people!!! This is a game world, not real world.

@PatPL: easy solution. Rename all your metals to names of metals that don'e exist. Kerbalize the names, as well. Problem solved.

Edited by Apollo13

I, as a relatively uneducated believer in the superiority of the Kerbal mind (which automatically makes me less intelligent than dirt in a world where dirt is the highest life form), can say that using Uranium as a material for struts makes complete sense. See, when using a volatile substance for a strut, you remove the need to add explosives to your stage-sequencers. You also remove the need to use anti-freeze in the cold reaches of space. And... oh this one is so good... if everything is going horribly wrong, you can rest assured that any attempt to destroy the offending vessel will be catastrophic and quite spectacular.

Okay, I admit I feel less intelligent just typing that...

• 1 month later...

I'd like the names to be a bit more sensible--not "realistic" because, again, this is KSP--but having some real-world alloys and a couple of near-future compositional materials would make this perfect. As is, it's just cool as heck. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.