Planet Ideas discussion thread!

I will say this in answer to GigaG, but this actually applies to a lot of people with suggestions for planets.

Some ideas are interesting, but in general most people who imagine planets on this forum tend to come up with ideas for planets that are harder to reach than the planets in the current system.

Problem is most players of ksp are far away from doing such things. Especially those who try to play the game without using the wiki.

I consider myself to be decent at this game. I am at the point where I am attempting to reach harder planets, Moho being my current target which I keep failing to reach.

I think I'll eventually be successful, but because I am still not good enough at optimizing my trajectory, I basically require at least 30% more delta-v than numbers I have been reading online (how the hell do you reach and orbit Moho from Kerbin with only 4000-4500 delta-v ? Can't figure it out.)

I have read a lot of the wiki, and, even though I am clearly not a genius, I am an engineer with a childhood love for astronomy. I also had a lot of free time lately to play ksp.

Despite my interest for astronomy, my science skills, and that free time, I am basically only at the point where I think "boy, if I could land on Moho, I'll would have achieved such a hard and awesome thing".

I am at this point after 150 or so hours of playing, which is not an easy number to reach when you have a job and/or social life, as most people do. And even though I am not Verner von Brown, I started this game with knowledge that helped me a lot.

Please remember that a lot of KSP players out there have less free time and less scientific background, and can barely make it to the Mun.

A game should not be designed and balanced for the sake of the best experts, but rather so that the average player can achieve the main objective (in KSP, it is basically landing on each planet).

It would actually be very interesting to have statistics. KSP seems to sell quite well, but I suspect a lot of people don't make it that far and ragequit the game. Performances of people like Jesse Cox on Youtube are great examples of an average dude's reaction to KSP.

In my opinion, the game rather needs one or two easier planets, instead of crazy hard ones like the ones you describe.

The best way to make everyone happy is probably to integrate into the game proper support for modded solar systems. This way the true experts would have their fun in the crazy hard systems they imagine, but a player of the vanilla version would have access to the default, more reasonable solar system.

The default solar system we have now is huge and challenging enough for most people. If I were to add things, I would rather add easier things, which is why I am suggesting an oxygen gas giant planet with "gas rings" (could aerobrake in that!) as well as an "easier eve" planet.

Those would not only be fun, but a much higher percentage of the people could actually enjoy that fun.

Edited by Hyakkidouran

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.