Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

Hey,

I m the author of the SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature).

Since my mod starts unmanned, I faced the issue that altitude contracts could only be completed by manned vessels, until making configs for the Contract Configurator mod by nightingale.

I just released replacements for the buggy stock starting contracts, based on the ones I use for the SETI-BalanceMod, for use with other TechTree mods:

Initial Contracts

InitialContracts replaces the buggy/annoying stock starting contracts with 3 similar ones, which can be completed by manned and unmanned craft. Thus the mods contracts are especially useful for TechTrees which start unmanned and may be redistributed with them.

They are based on the SETI-Contracts but more balanced for stock.

InitialContracts Link

The mod Contract Configurator by nightingale is required to use the configs.

These Contract Configurator configs by nightingale and Yemo are based upon the general contracts of the SETI-BalanceMod.

License: You may do what you want (change, expand, mix, redistribute as part of a larger package etc.), as long as you provide the source (eg. SETI-BalanceMod with link) and credit for previous authors (eg. nightingale and Yemo) within the file(s) and at the reference locations (forum thread and download site).

Hence you can just redistribute this file along with eg a tech tree mod under any (even a very restrictive) license as long as you give credit in the form mentioned above.

Edited by Yemo

The science costs on some parts are different. Everything else, including the starting nodes, is exactly the same.

I just checked, and the start nodes definitely contain different parts. Do you have the same problem when installing the tree without other mods?

Is it be possible to reorganize a bit the tantares parts into the tree?

The Almach ballistic capsule could be put at the start node with the very first tantares parachute. The 2 seats modules (Gemini and descent module) could be placed a bit earlier into the tree.

Also a 1 seat landing module (stock or tantares, don't mind much personally) can be placed a bit earlier than now.

• 3 weeks later...

I found an issue with unlocking a particular tech node on the normal manned tree (same issue with the unmanned one too): antimatter power.

To make sure everything was working fine, I created a test science-sandbox save, cheated in ~50k science, and started to unlock all the nodes in the tech tree when I noticed the issue above. It says that the "technology has unresearched requirements", but there are no prerequisite nodes available to unlock. I double checked to see if all the parts had been researched in case it was a glitch showing a node that shouldn't be there, and no, they have not been (e.g. the USI Alcubierre Warp Drive). The missing prerequisite looks to be one of the electrical or science experiment tech tree nodes (the OP imgur slideshow as a reference).

Here's a screenshot of the tech tree: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vr1yfbkswvl76c/screenshot2.png?dl=0

Also, here's a list of the supported mods used: Near Future (propulsion, construction, electrical, solar), USI (MKS/OKS, Karbonite, Karbonite+, Alcubierre Warp Drive), RLA Stockalike, NovaPunch, TACLS, Universal Storage, MechJeb, Procedural Fairings / Parts / Dynamics, Real Chute, Remote Tech, SCANsat, and DMagic Orbital Science. I am also using the mechjeb and proc. fairings fixes that were provided.

EDIT: Turns out that the prerequisite node in question is Particle Accelerators, which has no parts from any of the mods that I am using (I think it is only using KSPI parts). In order for me to unlock the remainder of the tree, I had to set the node's "hideIfEmpty" setting to False; this fixes the problem, albeit I have to spend 2000 science on a node that gives me nothing... I can just role play it off as a necessary technological discovery by the Kerbals to safely contain the Exotic Matter used by the Alcubierre drive.

Fix:

NODE
{
name = newnode_9820
techID = interstellarTechAccelerator
pos = -775,690,-20
icon = EXPERIMENTALSCIENCE
cost = 2000
title = Particle Accelerators
description = Particle accelerators provide the basis for antimatter technology, allowing the first experiments with respect to its capture and storage.
anyParent = False
hideIfEmpty = False
parents = node7_specializedElectrics
PARTS
{
name = AntimatterCollector
name = AntimatterTank
name = AntimatterTank125
name = AntimatterTank250
name = AntimatterTank375
name = FNAntimatterBottle
}
}

Edited by stevehead
found source of issue

Hi

I love this mod!!! Its the only tech tree im using as it is quite balanced!! :-)

I just wanted to suggest to add these mods into the tree:

- Solar Science

- P.E.S.T.

- KDEX

- KIS

- VDSHullCam

This give mostely more science.

Also I can confirm, that "automation" fixes the mechjeb problem for me too. AdvMechanic and unmand did not work! I changed it directly in the tree config and in the fix_file. It i just did one, it would not work!

Thanks again for the mod! Hope for an update

Thanks

Edited by ManuxKerb
hull cam

• 2 weeks later...

Best custom tree so far! I'm missing the thermometer in the beginning, tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm using the unmanned alternate version. Like it! I like the challenge of committing to your choices.

It's very hard with FAR, tho. Maybe the simplest winglet might be unlocked on the beginning? I'm stabilizing my rockets with whatever I can and it's NOT pretty.

If you have procedural Fairings or MechJeb you will need these files for it to unlock correctly (note: even with this, mechjeb docking still doesn't want to unlock correctly)

May be a silly question but, where do these files go? Not sure if it has been posted already, but the first post could be a little more specific. Do they go right into the "ModOrientedTree_0.3.1" file?

May be a silly question but, where do these files go? Not sure if it has been posted already, but the first post could be a little more specific. Do they go right into the "ModOrientedTree_0.3.1" file?

They'll work from anywhere within the GameData folder. You could put them in ModOrientedTree folder but it doesn't really matter.

Best custom tree so far! I'm missing the thermometer in the beginning, tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm using the unmanned alternate version. Like it! I like the challenge of committing to your choices.

It's very hard with FAR, tho. Maybe the simplest winglet might be unlocked on the beginning? I'm stabilizing my rockets with whatever I can and it's NOT pretty.

If you use Sounding Rockets, the cardboard wings for those unlock as basic gear, the Blue ones function in a pinch long enough to eventually get the first aero wings (asuming you aren't trying to make spaceplanes)

Now I haven't gotten far in the tech tree, but with the stock tree I used a mod that nerfed contract science rewards. Would I be correct in assuming that MOTT's much more spread out tech tree makes using that mod unnecessarily difficult?

Proposal:

Expand node2_stability node with:

name = FSbiPlaneAileron
name = FSbiplaneCockpit
name = FSbiPlaneElevator
name = FSbiPlaneRudder
name = FSbiPlaneSkid
name = FSbiPlaneTail
name = FSbiPlaneWheelPair
name = FSbiPlaneWingCenter
name = FSbiPlaneWingMain
name = FSbiPlaneWingRound
name = FSbiPlaneWingShort
name = FSbiPlaneWingTip
name = FS_strutConnectorWire
name = FS_strutConnectorWood
name = FSPROpeller

to make Firespitter Biplane parts appear early on. At the time of early rockets most planes were not jet anyway. And this toy is only one that generally survives tier-1 runway bumps. :P

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 3 weeks later...
New version of Module Manager is supposed to provide the ability to use custom tech trees. No separate tech tree plugin needed any longer for using custom trees :D

Does it not need reformatting? I won't be able to look into updating it for a little over a week.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.