Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

I've installed the mod (in Gamedata) and when I load up KSP, the game reports during the loading process that it found 1 error in the Modtechtree folder. So I've removed the mod for now.

Is there any particular reason it might be doing this?

I've installed the mod (in Gamedata) and when I load up KSP, the game reports during the loading process that it found 1 error in the Modtechtree folder. So I've removed the mod for now.

Is there any particular reason it might be doing this?

I haven't found the reason yet. It sometimes shows an error when I'm working on it, but half the time it doesn't. So I'm not sure what it could be. I found the debug data on it once and it looked like KSP was complaining that there were two definitions of the module "TechTree". As long as the tech tree loads, I don't think the error matters. All it may need is a module manager argument before the TechTree module definition in the Mod-Oriented tree .cfg file.

• 3 weeks later...

In case it is relevant, I found this error as well in the log:

[LOG 17:33:15.058] [ModuleManager] compiling list of loaded mods...
Mod DLLs found:
Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.6.5 v2.6.5.0
KSP-AVC v1.1.5.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
DeepFreeze v0.15.0.5
DFInterface v0.1.5635.36579 / v0.1.0.1
SMInterface v4.3.0.0
Non-DLL mods added (:FOR[xxx]):
Mods by directory (sub directories of GameData):
ContractConfigurator
ModOrientedTechTree
MyCFG
REPOSoftTech
Squad

[LOG 17:33:15.062] [ModuleManager] Loading Physics.cfg
[LOG 17:33:15.064] [ModuleManager] Checking NEEDS.
[LOG 17:33:15.105] [ModuleManager] Applying patches
[LOG 17:33:15.107] [ModuleManager] :FIRST pass
[LOG 17:33:15.114] [ModuleManager] Error - Skipping a patch with unbalanced square brackets or a space (replace them with a '?') :
@PART[OPT

[LOG 17:33:15.118] [ModuleManager] :LEGACY (default) pass
[LOG 17:33:15.140] [ModuleManager] Applying node ModOrientedTechTree/TechTree/@PART[CanardController] to Squad/Parts/Aero/airplaneFins/standardCanard/CanardController
[LOG 17:33:15.216] [ModuleManager] Applying node ModOrientedTechTree/TechTree/@PART[elevon2] to Squad/Parts/Aero/wings/elevon2/elevon2
etc . . .

I don't know if the error is referencing ModOrientedTechTree, but I thought I'd post it just in case it helps you out at all.

Also, changing "TechTree" to "@TechTree" at the start of the cfg does get rid of the "two definitions of the module 'TechTree'" error, but does not resolve the problem above, and MM still says there is one error error1 relating to ModOrientedTechTree. (which is why I think the above error may be related)

:EDIT: Found it; the error is on line 8860, where "@PART[OPT Gears]" should read "@PART[OPT.Gears]"

Edited by JDCollie

Little bit of an update. I have actually been working quite a bit on this for the past month, but indirectly. I've been developing an in game tree editor. It is not in a releasable state, but it is now functional enough for my purposes. All the tree editors have died, and this should make it much easier for me to release updates once school starts back up.

On another note, I'm looking for anyone who may want to help sort mod parts and add to the supported mod list. I particularly would like help with large part packs that I am unfamiliar with such as FASA, NovaPunch, Tantares, etc. If anyone is interested, send me a message. This could be a one time thing, or you could stick around and help with multiple updates. I would prefer that it be someone who has used the tree quite a bit and is familiar with how it's organized.

Edited by cvod

• 3 weeks later...

Looks interesting, but also appears that a new game start is required. I added it to a game I started a couple of days ago and for some reason it gave me a number of categories as "already reasearched" and made about 100 new parts available that I hadn't yet gotten to in my game. I'm also getting the Module Manager error.

But more strangely, it's giving me "Large Cargo Bays" as researched, when it has a requirement of "Cargo Bays" that I have not yet purchased. "Resource Utilization" is showing itself as "available to be researched", saying I've already fulfilled the requirement of researching "Space Exploration", which I have not. Those two may have errors in their dependencies.

Edit: I'd also like to add that this Tech Tree appears to make Hard Mode very much harder. I typically use the default hard mode, with Science gains turned down to 10% (Or sometimes as high as 20%). Since the cost of the first few nodes in this tree can be as high as 50 RP, that will turn into a real grind. Looks like I'll have to play with Science gain percentages again to find out what makes this tree feel balanced.

Edited by Targa

• 2 weeks later...

First off: I love this one, and it is realy nice to see it up to date again =)

However, i think there is a problem, i cant find the (stock) mk2 carge hold parts, where in the tree are the supposed to be?

I have checked in a sandbox game, there the parts show up, so they are not deleted, i just can't find them in the tech tree.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad! they are there, the research node just required entry purchase, which is somewhat odd, since i have turned it off in this save

EDIt2: Ok, strange thing here. The nodes "cargo Bays" and "large Cargo Bays" are unlocked, however the parts in them are shown as if i have to pay for them for unlocking (despite i have disabled entry purchaes on Techs), when i click on the parts, or the Button to unlock them (i have to click multiple times) they turn to "owned" just as they are supposed to do, (my funding remains untouched by this,... thats the positive part of the story) as soon as a leave R&D the parts are locked again.

so far i have unlocked somewhere between 40% - 50% of the techree and this are the only two technodes with this problem, evreything else worked fine for me

Edited by Filigan

• 3 weeks later...

Love this tech-tree but am having some issues with it in its current iteration.

I am getting a module manager error during start-up that clams to be from this but dont know how to get more specific information about where it thinks the error is.

Also when using it with Interstellar Extended the many of the nodes are shifted around and and overlapping (they are not in the positions that the .cfg tells them to be in). dont know what causes this either or if the MM error is responsible.

The thought did occur that there may be a max area that the nodes can be in and the interstellar nodes push it outside that, but that is just conjecture.

Edit: I am an idiot the CTT config in interstellar was messing with it.

Edited by TDW

I think i found a problem with this tech tree and KW Rocketry

The KW Rocketry Interstellar Patch creates a note. This removes everything from the "Massive Rocketry" Node.

Heavier Lower Stages and Massive Boosters are also affected.

In CKAN you cannot install KW without this Patch for 1.04

Delete the first config file from the patch and it works fine. (but also deletes the changes to head production in the KW 5m parts)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Love this tech-tree but am having some issues with it in its current iteration.

I am getting a module manager error during start-up that clams to be from this but dont know how to get more specific information about where it thinks the error is.

Also when using it with Interstellar Extended the many of the nodes are shifted around and and overlapping (they are not in the positions that the .cfg tells them to be in). dont know what causes this either or if the MM error is responsible.

The thought did occur that there may be a max area that the nodes can be in and the interstellar nodes push it outside that, but that is just conjecture.

Edit: I am an idiot the CTT config in interstellar was messing with it.

How did you fix this then? I'm having the same issue.

I'm really liking this tech tree, it has the span to allow specialization in stock as well as so much mod support. This is so much better than the sadly neglected community tech tree.

Getting this onto CKAN would be great.

Please alphabetize the list of supported mods, the current list is a pain to search.

RemoteTech's "upgraded probe module" has somehow ended up in the start node, when it should be hidden away (it's a legacy part that is only in to stop old saves breaking).

I think that Kerbal Engineer's modules should be moved to the midgame area, ideally they should show up around like an alternative to getting other science pods, since the KE modules activate the KE interface, but so does carrying a scientist. So they're like a mechanical scientist, like the SAS modules being mechanical pilots. Maybe advanced flight control?

The mod fog of tech seems to conflict hard enough to cause crashes.

Sounding Rockets has a few major issues, the SRE-L seems to be completely missing, the 62.5cm nosecone is in the start node instead of the sounding rocketry, And the SRE-XL is still in the basic rocketry section.

Because of SR's cheap modules, I'd like to propose a different SR tree, since as it is, they all have little use until you get all 4.

In Start: SRE-S, small SR fin, nose cone 0.35, battery, Avionics Package, one science payload, payload fairing and truss 35.

From start, sounding rockets specialization for about 5 sci: SRE-L, stick, medium SR fin, payload fairing and truss 35.

From SR specialization, Advanced SR for 20: SRE-XL, Nose Cone 0.625, large SR fin, SR adapter, payload fairing and truss 625.

From Adv SR , Liquid Fueled SR for 50ish: Small and large SR tank, Aerospike.

From start, SR science for 20: the second science payload, SR decoupler.

From SR science, Advanced SR science for 50ish: The third science payload, SR's gyroscope.

From Adv SR science, orbital SR science for 90ish: the last payload, Stabilization Thrusters

And finally, also from Adv SR science, streamlined SR science for 90ish: Mini Battery pack, M-315 Probe Core.

I think that the storage containers should be pushed up from the science area into the construction area, with a basic node for both size 1 containers and cargo bays, then branching into size 2 parts in separate nodes for service bays and storage containers. Several different mods have containers of misc type. As for why to put small service bays in a separate node from the Mk2, they're pretty vital to recover fragile science parts, especially in FAR. Pulling the small and med service bay down a bit would be great.

the advanced metalworking and large docking nodes are pretty kludgy at the moment, Having the claw that early feels pretty strange. Additionally It would make more sense to have the attachment points earlier, like in specialized construction, then making the rest of the docking ports fit into a "field connections" tree that could be shared with KAS bits.

All 8 of USI Life Support are given all at once, ranging from the tiny nom 100 day pack to the massive 18 ton tank able to supply a kerbal with more than 2.5 years of yummy goodness.

suggested tree:

In start: minipack (food).

In resource utilization, Minipack Mulch and fertilizer, the small greenhouse.

In resource refining, the large greenhouse.

Alternatively, put the above two into specialized nodes branching off electrics. I'd reccommend 200 and 500 science as costs.

for the 3 tanks of nomfood, put them in the appropriate sized container node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.