Instrument Landing System

This is a simple, Stock only help to find a smoothe and pinpoint accurat path for a landing on the KSC Runway.

nz47zSP.jpg

It is especially helpful at night or with heavy clouds (if you play with cloud mods) and consists of two

probes "Node West" and "Node East" each 500 meters away from the runway exactly aligned with the center line of the stripe

With the Navball set up to "Surface" and the nearer ILS-Beacon marked as target you simply aim the prograde marker onto the target node

and you end up on a glide path ending 500 meters befor the runway.

That leaves enough room to pull up and touch down on the beginning of the runway

In the Album is a description of the beacon setup and some more pictures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Appendix:

If you want to save some money, you could also use flags...

Another great idea for getting lined up with the runway:

For instrument landings, swap your target between the two end-of-runway beacons. If they're both at 90° (or 270° if you're coming from the other way), then you know that you're in line.
Edited by Norcurion

hehe I always plant a flag on my first mission of a new game, but these are cool.

This reminds me of the quote about NASA spending however much on designing a pen to work in space and the Russians taking a pencil :D

hehe I always plant a flag on my first mission of a new game, but these are cool.

This reminds me of the quote about NASA spending however much on designing a pen to work in space and the Russians taking a pencil :D

I'll just point out that pencil shavings are made almost entirely of carbon, and are therefore very flammable. Not something you want collecting in the air vents.

This is a simple, stock only help to find a smoothie? At least, that's what I read at first.

But seriously, this is actually pretty good. I already usually put one at KSC, but never thought of lining them up on the runway. I'll have to put some there, so that my Kerbals can land their planes and get to drinking smoothies as soon as possible. As a tip, if you rename the craft and set its type to "base", you can see its marker from much farther away, even as far as orbit.

Eh even though you could just do flags i like the look of those little probes better. I might do something like this on my career save. Good Idea!

Likewise.

I've been using rovers as nav beacons, mostly just because it's easier to drive them into place then get a Kerbal out to plant a flag. And with the rovers, you can mount spotlights on them for visual cues without labels.

For instrument landings, swap your target between the two end-of-runway beacons. If they're both at 90° (or 270° if you're coming from the other way), then you know that you're in line.

Edited by Wanderfound

This is a simple, stock only help to find a smoothie? At least, that's what I read at first.

Well, i'm Not a native speaker, it may happen that i produce 2 or 3 odd expressions and make about 3^n spelling and/or grammar errors (with n= the amount of words i use) ;)

But finding a Smoothie stock only would grant another [archievment unlocked], wouldn't it?

Awesome advice! I'll try it later and add it to the first post! Thanks :)

EDIT: Tested it, it's great!

Edited by Norcurion

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.