Devnote Tuesdays: The "Can't Spell Kerbal without K" Edition

SQUAD

Much better. This is what I would expect when I open a link to "devnotes". Thanks, guys, great read!

E: Also, if SP+ ends up in the game without the cargo bay, I'm going to be very unhappy.

I thought for sure you'd still be ol'grumpy about this. :)

New easter egg suggestion: In the mountains, a HypeTrain with a banana strapped to one of the cars.

Hey, I can't just give up my Hyp[eTrain! The National Hypeway Museum in the city of Hype has a few old Hypetrains from the 1800s. They're too expensive to maintain so it'd be a good deal to bring it to the mountains and leave it there.

Also, are we getting cities? Is that the art assets? :D

EDIT: Have Hugo's parts also been scrapped then?

:D

http://i.imgur.com/71ZXuGBl.png?1

All aboard the hype train!

And yes, the devnotes this week were very interesting. Thanks!

That's not the right HypeTrain. That was my HypeTrain before a creeper blew up the engine during the 0.24 HypeTrain. Now I use a good old fashioned HypeSteam Locomotive.

Edited by sumghai
Consolidated consecutive replies by the same poster

you´ve made regex happy... at least for the first line of his comment. that´s got to mean something ;)

I think I've woken up in bizarro alternate universe. Either that or there's been an Invasion of the Body Snatchers ​thing going on.

I'm a little worried about the enhanced navball function. Hopefully these "arrows" can be removed by the actual Enhanced Navball mod because I rather like the ghosted versions of the same thing. Arrows sound silly.

Honestly, this is just amazing news. What can a very grateful nerd say other than thank you and keep up your fine stewarship of the best game ever to come out on the PC. I can't wait to see what nefarious plans you devs have in store. I do know this however, you just added 5 tons of pure high quality antimatter to the boiler on the hype train. As it approaches the speed of light, the consequences of your actions cannot be predicted, even with quantum mechanics :-)

I checked out SpacePlanes Plus and it looks awesome. I was wondering which mod got picked.

Onward to 0.25 nerds!

AWESOME DEVNOTES! The best ones I've read in a long time! I'm so excited! Wee! Yay! Yahoo! OK, I'd better calm down....

I'm a little worried about the enhanced navball function. Hopefully these "arrows" can be removed by the actual Enhanced Navball mod because I rather like the ghosted versions of the same thing. Arrows sound silly.

I actually like arrows better because then I'm not confused about where the markers are. For example, if I'm docking to a ship, sometimes I'll just see retrograde on the edge of the navball and will push it onto the target-retrograde marker. I wouldn't like a ghost version of retrograde to be confusing me.

EDIT: Have Hugo's parts also been scrapped then?

Why would they be? Hugo revamped the Mk1 and Mk3 parts, and porkjet's mod focuses on the Mk 2 series. Hugo supplied the new Mk1 and Mk3, and porkjet supplied the new Mk2. The whole family is getting revamped/replaced to my understanding.

I actually like arrows better because then I'm not confused about where the markers are. For example, if I'm docking to a ship, sometimes I'll just see retrograde on the edge of the navball and will push it onto the target-retrograde marker. I wouldn't like a ghost version of retrograde to be confusing me.

The ghost doesn't appear if it's on the screen and even if you did it wouldn't matter because it's in the same direction as the actual icon and would have the same effect. I'll reserve total judgement till I see it, but in my eyes Squad screwed up the toolbar badly so it makes me nervous when they start implementing away on my favorite mods.

That's not the right HypeTrain. That was my HypeTrain before a creeper blew up the engine during the 0.24 HypeTrain. Now I use a good old fashioned HypeSteam Locomotive.

I would like to purchase one ticket, please.

I think that once the first cargo bays are implemented into KSP (from this implemented mod), more will soon follow. That is, unless, Hugo already made one for the Mk3 family (unfortunately, though, they can't fit 2.5-meter parts).

The ghost doesn't appear if it's on the screen and even if you did it wouldn't matter because it's in the same direction as the actual icon and would have the same effect.

I'm not really familiar with the mod, as I haven't used it much, but I think that if you're pointing close to prograde and then you see the ghost retrograde marker and try to push it around, it won't affect it in the same way as if it really were at the edge of the screen. Anyhow, I'd survive either way - whether it was arrows or marker ghosts.

I'll reserve total judgement till I see it, but in my eyes Squad screwed up the toolbar badly so it makes me nervous when they start implementing away on my favorite mods.

The toolbar? I don't see how that was messed up.... The mod's icon shows up in the toolbar, you click on it, and the mod's GUI shows up. Seems to work nicely to me.

Edited by Andrew Hansen

vSi2hhNl.jpg

So they now use the Kerbal Pacific 844 as their HypeTrain?

So much hype from this amazing devnote! Thanks SQUAD!

Edited by mythbusters844

Thank you so much Marco!! So excited to have a better ingame navball :D

Also, great devnote guys. Really excited about the Spaceplanes Plus and a proper crew management system in the base game.

Ted, congrats on getting through all the tester applications. I'm guessing I'm not one of the really impressive applications :P

I think the hype train is already starting for .25

Keep up the good work guys!

It is confirmed by Maxmaps that Multiplayer is being actively worked on:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2e188u/devnote_tuesdays_the_cant_spell_kerbal_without_k/cjv4l9w

However, multiplayer is NOT what Rowdowser was referring to in the devnotes when he mentioned them undertaking a very large endeavor. I wonder what it could be then?

It is confirmed by Maxmaps that Multiplayer is being actively worked on:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2e188u/devnote_tuesdays_the_cant_spell_kerbal_without_k/cjv4l9w

However, multiplayer is NOT what Rowdowser was referring to in the devnotes when he mentioned them undertaking a very large endeavor. I wonder what it could be then?

Err... We've known this for months now... Old news.

Edited by RocketPilot573

The toolbar? I don't see how that was messed up.... The mod's icon shows up in the toolbar, you click on it, and the mod's GUI shows up. Seems to work nicely to me.

But it's drastically weaker than the mod that is out there and was out there first (It can't be moved, it can't be customized, it's orientation can't be changed, it's terrible by comparison). However, because of it's existence, many mod developers started removing support for Blizzy's toolbar which really screwed us over. Some of them were willing to put it back as an option, others did not.

And yes, pushing the ghost icon would have just about the same effect because the real one would be just behind it. Technically your just pushing from a slightly larger angle away but it still would move it. Plus it's hard to confuse the ghost with the real one.

Edited by Alshain

You can edit the NavBall texture so they can most likely be removed (from how I understand it).

As part of the unruly rabble continually making a ruckus about the dev-note quality, I want to say thank you for this week, and sorry for being such a pain in the booster previous weeks :sticktongue:

KSP means a lot to the forum regulars and we just care too much I guess haha.

Good notes this time. 10/10 would read again. In fact. I'll do so now....

And back. This:

This is one of the largest, if not the largest concerted effort to develop a single feature we’ve ever had.

makes my palms sweat a little, as I've seen quite a few monster features come to fruitition. It's rather hard to not speculate.

Anyway, good call on SP+. Porkjet is a master and well deserving of the praise and whatever fortunes you have thrust upon him. Now it's up to you guys to treat the parts right. To that end....

Please Please Please Please Please pencil in the re-work of the Atmosphere/Aerodynamic/Lift code As Soon As Possible.

I can remember the last time that Squad acquired a set of spaceplane parts (C7 spaceplanes, the precursors to the spaceplane parts we have currently, made by former modder and now former KSP Dev Chad Jenkins) and we knew it was only a matter of time until the placeholder system got replaced with something that actually makes sense. Except, other placeholders kept getting replaced, and all new systems appears, and here we are 2 years later.

We have an awesome, shiny runway and a dedicated Spaceplane Hanger, even a secondary runway on the island. We have air-breathing engines and now we'll have a pretty big assortment of plane parts (and hundreds more from mods) and they're all just waiting on this one thing to complete the package.

Don't squander all of these amazing assets on poor or broken game-play. It doesn't have to be FAR-level complexity, but there is a huge gap between there and the Soupmosphere (props to whoever invented that term :D) we have currently. I bet you could even apply a generous helping of ferram4 to the problem to create a proper level of stock-i-ness for the system.

I know Harv is a fan of Flight Sims. We've all seen the simpit pictures :) KSP is |thisclose| to having an amazing flightsim engine on top of its unque Space gameplay. And it would add depth to the rocketry portion of the game as well. Meaningful nosecones? How crazy would that be? We can easily crowd-source the changed needed to re-balance engines and such too.

The finish line is within view here. Let's cross the line with all 4 wheels :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.