What feature is up next?

Multiplayer and any game that pretty much requires time compression is mutually exclusive with any kind of reality. Instancing universally stinks, and you can't have my craft at 100X, and yours at 1:1, or any hope of them meeting becomes pretty much random/impossible. Multiplayer in sandbox is fine, I suppose, the host person would control warping, and everyone else has to warp along for the ride.

I still think its a planet revamp and terrain overhaul. procedural surface details, biomes, lighting ect ect.

more Biomes will be needed for fleshing out contracts. the Mun surface uses procedurally generated craters so i think similar terrain improvements will be coming to all planets and moons.

its a large job and it will have to come eventually.

what we know so far

1 = admin building that requires ticking slider bars

2 = integration of Spaceplane Plus mod by Porkjet

3 = additional NavBall icons Normal and Radial vectors will be visible An arrow will also indicating the maneuver marker

4= our art team is currently sequestered in what is the largest 3D asset endeavor that we have overtaken so far. So much so you won’t see it in .25 dozens of high quality models that must be made

5= crew transfer no more need to EVA kerbals to transfer them among docked crafts

this is all my knowledge of the workings of the squad team as of the 20/8/2014 all facts taken from devnote Tuesdays

as for the rest only they know

This does indeed suggest interactive IVA as Javster mentioned, particularly since SQUAD mentioned the big feature hasn't been addressed by a mod before (so no multiplayer or aerodynamics).

0.25 - aerodynamic overhaul?

0.26 - interactive IVA?

Edited by Yakuzi

I don't know if aerodynamic overhaul really requires a dozens of high quality models.... though I would be very happy if that's in deed a new aerodynamics (I imagine heat shields, fairings, adding all of the missing assets (like XL nose cones), etc.). IMHO that's one of the things this game is missing most. Proper aerodynamics with proper risks on reentry.

As SQUAD is including Porkjets stuff in 0.25, it wouldn't surprise me if they would update the aerodynamics in the same version.

The high number of high quality models are part of "the big feature" due for 0.26. In combination with the "no EVA needed for crew transfer" and "no mods have ever touched upon this" statements, imo it sounds like they're planning to implement interactive IVA...

EDIT: Enhanced/interactive IVAs are also mentioned in the planned features under Flight Operations (though the ref seems to be missing).

Edited by Yakuzi

The high number of high quality models are part of "the big feature" due for 0.26. In combination with the "no EVA needed for crew transfer" and "no mods have ever touched upon this" statements, imo it sounds like they're planning to implement interactive IVA...

In my opinion, the "no more need to EVA kerbals to transfer them among docked crafts" and "dozens of high quality models " are about different things. Samssonart mentions crew transfer openly, while HarvesteR and Maxmaps are very secretive about the future feature.

Interactive/extended IVA: maybe, there's no mod for that indeed.

But there are other things that may fall under that. For instance finishing/replacing the terrain scatter by something more finished and representative (plants, animals, birds, ...). Kerbal cities (there's a mod, though). Or just the "we want to make other planets as pretty as Kerbin", meaning plenty of terrain scatter/replacement for these. Laythe volcanoes etc.

I wouldn't put very high odds on it, but my guess is still construction of buildings. I'm hoping that a generic system can be used both for placing of space centre facilities, and for things like offworld bases.

An updated stock animation module could have some fun consequences too. Hinges could suddenly become very easy to make as mod parts.

In my opinion, the "no more need to EVA kerbals to transfer them among docked crafts" and "dozens of high quality models " are about different things.

But there are other things that may fall under that. For instance finishing/replacing the terrain scatter by something more finished and representative (plants, animals, birds, ...). Kerbal cities (there's a mod, though). Or just the "we want to make other planets as pretty as Kerbin", meaning plenty of terrain scatter/replacement for these. Laythe volcanoes etc.

You're absolutely right... Damn you non-disclosed big feature!!!

If only someone had advised against rampant speculation :rolleyes:

Im considering ruling out any indepth IVA. there are too many variables with the literally infinite ways people can design ships, like my demonstration piece here. The coding for that would just be hell I can only imagine.

Its gotta be what kashua said, or something else entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
There will never be moving kerbals around inside craft in the way people do IRL. Its way too complex and will limit peoples builds.

Exactly. It would mean you cannot have fuel tanks (or science equipment) in between crew-able parts, unless kerbals can swim through fuel (or materials bay experiment). I'd also rather them work on something else anyway....

Exactly. It would mean you cannot have fuel tanks (or science equipment) in between crew-able parts, unless kerbals can swim through fuel (or materials bay experiment). I'd also rather them work on something else anyway....

crew tunnels on fuel tanks could easily be a tweakable...

another possibility, what about part damage? (not destruction)

it requires lots of high quality meshes. could be hilarious when found. good players may never see it. not been done by a mod.

thoughts?

think about it. part damage states has all the things from the clues...

lots of high quality meshes.

could be hilarious when found.

good players may never see it.

not been done by a mod.

and there is precedent. the solar panels and rover wheels have damage states but none of the other parts.

think about it. part damage states has all the things from the clues...

lots of high quality meshes.

could be hilarious when found.

good players may never see it.

not been done by a mod.

and there is precedent. the solar panels and rover wheels have damage states but none of the other parts.

The meshes will be for improved parts. And parts denting doesn't sound hilarious.

Remember the last time you crashed something in KSP? You are typically left with one or two surviving parts. Seeing these parts bent or dented

wouldn't add much considering the effort to achieve that.

The meshes will be for improved parts. And parts denting doesn't sound hilarious.

Remember the last time you crashed something in KSP? You are typically left with one or two surviving parts. Seeing these parts bent or dented

wouldn't add much considering the effort to achieve that.

what about soft(ish) collisions adding dents, scratches, scorch marks? or rather than a part ceasing to exist when it exceeds its impact tolerance, it could instead break in to pieces.

what about soft(ish) collisions adding dents, scratches, scorch marks? or rather than a part ceasing to exist when it exceeds its impact tolerance, it could instead break in to pieces.

Its certainly possible. I just don't think it will be this.

I'm preparing to be disappointed. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.