Wonky-Docking. Orbital Construction problem

Still-in-EVA

Hoping I understand the problem correctly...

I dock using SMART A.S.S. and Enhanced Navball in target mode. Just park the prograde marker inside the pink target circle. You don't necessarily have to come in straight, but you WILL come in at the correct orientation.

Target Craft

"Control From Here" on target docking port.

SMART A.S.S. Orbital -> NML- (or Retro/Prograde), Force Roll to XX deg.

Intercept Craft

"Control From Here" on target docking port.

"Set as Target" on target docking port.

SMART A.S.S. Orbital -> NML+ (or Pro/Retrograde), Force Roll to XX deg.

IMPORTANT: Right before the two craft make contact, hit KILL ROT on the Intercept craft. Otherwise, SMART A.S.S. may try for a new and exciting orientation based on the new, joined ship configuration, that tears your ship apart. You may want to turn off RCS just before contact as well.

Easy Method:

Build with two or more docking ports so that it self-aligns.

EDIT:

It just occurred to me that you could build a guide system around the ports using cubic octagonal struts so that you end up with a "key-into-keyhole" effect. I've been looking for a Scott Manley video where he repairs a broken ship using docking guides, but I can't find it.

Edited by FleshJeb

How can you target two different docking ports from two different control ports? I'd prefer to have multiple attachment poi ts for structural integrity. I'm using RMax jumbos with quad nuclear engines for each of my 4 radial engine modules around the same configuration.

Otherwise; Brilliant answer. Very comprehensive!!!

(Well, I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried multiple ports yet. :)) You can't, as far as I know.

However, I suspect that SMART A.S.S. will get you close enough for the magnetism to work.

Hypothetically, I'd control from the port closest to the engines, and if the forward one doesn't lock, just slam the throttle on for a sec.

Also, I've read that reloading the game frequently fixes docking port engagement problems.

Very glad I could help. Best of luck!

Are you using a pusher or puller design? According to Scott Manley, the pullers suffer less wiggle, but you have to lock the engine gimbals, because they don't work properly when they're in front of the center of mass.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.