New crew transfer feature. how should it be handled?

"I’m currently working on crew transfer, meaning there will be no more need to EVA kerbals to transfer them among docked crafts."

So how would you like this to be handled?

personally id like it be handled like Connected Living Space

screenshot125.png

handling it this way would help later on when(if) enhanced IVAs are added.

I have heard rumors that crew will be able to transfer from one ship to another regardless of whether there is a clear path or not. so if the docking port is on the end of a Modular Girder Segment they will still be ablt to magically pass though and out the docking port on the end...

41px-Modular_Girder_Segment.png

what are your thoughts guys?

I believe it will be handled similarly to handling fuel transfer. Right-click on two pods and two windows open with Kerbal names in them and a "Move over" button next to each. You click the button and the Kerbal snaps to the other pod. Or something like that.

I might be wrong, though.

As far as development for stock goes, probably we'll get transfers akin to fuel transfers, perhaps with restrictions based on where they "should" be able to travel. IVAs and free movement inside can come much later. As for a mod, anything is good.

One thing I think needs to be looked at: the size of Kerbal space helmets. I'm pretty sure they cannot fit through a standard docking port. I get the impression that someday Kerbals are supposed to be able to go through 1.25m corridor sections, but it looks like a lot of the 1.25m parts that would one day be a part of that are going to need a redesign first.

One thing I think needs to be looked at: the size of Kerbal space helmets. I'm pretty sure they cannot fit through a standard docking port. I get the impression that someday Kerbals are supposed to be able to go through 1.25m corridor sections, but it looks like a lot of the 1.25m parts that would one day be a part of that are going to need a redesign first.

Notice that in IVA view, Kerbals don't have helmets. And if you look really closely, hatches are even smaller than docking ports. They necessarily have to leave their helmets outside. Or maybe their helmets are not rigid and they inflate them as they leave the pod? That would explain high Kerbal survival ratio when falling on head...

I believe it will be handled similarly to handling fuel transfer. Right-click on two pods and two windows open with Kerbal names in them and a "Move over" button next to each. You click the button and the Kerbal snaps to the other pod. Or something like that.

I might be wrong, though.

Agreed, this is how I believe it will be handled too. Its simpler that way. They want simple game mechanics.

well at the least i hope they add a crew passable yes/no to the individual parts.

crew should not be able to transfer between pods that are joined by a Girder Segment or similar.

Agreed this would be a good compromise. Not allowing obviously silly crew transfers but also not limiting build styles.

well at the least i hope they add a crew passable yes/no to the individual parts.

crew should not be able to transfer between pods that are joined by a Girder Segment or similar.

Technically speaking, nobody forces you to transfer crew through these if you consider them unpassable - I agree that it is more comfortable if the game checks it for you but it should not be major problem to decide about it on first glance. Personally I have no problem imagining they went on EVA themselves and switched places so fast I did not even see it.

Of course if this option was tweakable in flight, it would not be extremely limiting. But some people would complain that it does not make sense to be able to turn on passability for an I-beam, while others would complain that they have to enable it all the time. Different players have just different opinions on how to play the game right.

I see greatest potential for unlimited crew transfer in solving problems with obstructed hatches. You just come with rescue craft, claw into the ship, and suck the Kerbal out of the blocked pod. That does not have to be design fault. You may end up in the same situation if you topple your ship during landing. Some time ago I had major problem getting my Kerbal out of such ship.

but what about when/if enhanced IVAs are added at a later date? surely it would be better for the system to be implemented in a way that better accommodates that feature later on?

To be clear, I'm not wanting ruin anyone elses building style or what ever, I'm just in favor of what ever crew transfer method that best accommodates enhanced IVAs further down the line.

I would really love to be able to float my kerbals through my craft one day.

If that enhanced IVA is ever implemented, I'd expect you'd have both options available. I.e. Go IVA with your Kerbal and navigate the internal space, or just snap them around using right-click menus. Use whichever suits you better and sure enough the enhanced IVA transfer would not allow you to pass through I-beams. I don't see any conflict here.

Disclaimer: all of this is pure speculation. We have no idea what will be really implemented.

Well if that is the case, then I will have no issue.

*I am happier with a option that requires the least amount of imagination. Years of TV and video games have left my imagination parched and crumbly like a dog poo in the sun. I need things done for me with clear visual indicators. :P

Edited by Capt Snuggler

There should probably also be a restriction against radial attachment (excluding things like docking ports, of course). You shouldn't be able to do crew transfers between two radially attached fuselages.

There are... a lot of possibilities here.

First, as suggested by many, is a simple Right Click menu similar to fuel transfer.

Second, also suggested by many here, is IVA.

Third possibility is to make its control a bit similar to RTS. You click on a Kerbal to select it, and right click (or Alt Click, or some other key+click combination) on a part to "order" them to move there.

Third possibility is to make its control a bit similar to RTS. You click on a Kerbal to select it, and right click (or Alt Click, or some other key+click combination) on a part to "order" them to move there.

I have thought about this too.

I was thinking it should be on a separate "vessel management view" where the front face of a ships habitable (crew passable) parts become transparent allowing you to see the internal spaces. you can then click on the kerbals and order them around RTS style or controlled individually. (think dungeon keeper)

I think further expansion of this idea should be on separate thread with pics.

yes, very true. only via the attachment node?

I seriously doubt it is reasonable to expect "extended IVA" to be flexible enough to adopt radially attached passages at random places. Very likely you'll be only able to enter/exit them through designated passage points.

I seriously doubt it is reasonable to expect "extended IVA" to be flexible enough to adopt radially attached passages at random places. Very likely you'll be only able to enter/exit them through designated passage points.

yes , sorry that's what i meant. although I habitable parts like the Hitch hiker for example could have special hidden attachment nodes for adding docking ports radially.

what i mean by this is, there could be a special attachment point on top of a crew hatch for example, to turn it in to a docking port. the IVA view already has a "hatch" modeled in which could be removed or opened once another craft is docked to that port.

I would think its reasonable that crew could enter and exit a craft via the docking port also.

I'd like a Connected Living Space-style implementation, it's more realistic and intuitive (I don't think any reasonable person would expect to be able to crawl through an engine or truss, it would be surprising to be able to do so).

More importantly, it is critical that transferred kerbals be able to take the science stored in a pod with them. A large portion of my crew transfers involve bringing science from one ship to another, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

There should probably also be a restriction against radial attachment (excluding things like docking ports, of course). You shouldn't be able to do crew transfers between two radially attached fuselages.

Howabout instead of a passable yes/no flag, have points declared for passibility. When you attach two passable points to each other, kerbals can transit through that link. Passable docking ports would add an attachment point to the surface they are attaching to.

I'd like a Connected Living Space-style implementation, it's more realistic and intuitive (I don't think any reasonable person would expect to be able to crawl through an engine or truss, it would be surprising to be able to do so).

I concur with this point.

I especially like how CLS even allows modders / part authors to specify which specific stack / attach nodes are traversable, and would like to see this somehow implemented in-game.

More importantly, it is critical that transferred kerbals be able to take the science stored in a pod with them. A large portion of my crew transfers involve bringing science from one ship to another, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'd prefer that Science Report transfers work independently of Crew transfers.

Well, when they board a pod, they transfer the science to the pod, it's not really with them anymore..

In BTSM, crew transfer is accomplished in the alt right-click style (with restrictions like in CLS), but science is also handled in the same way, via alt-right-click (but with no limitations). I'm with sumghai in that I wouldn't really want the crew to steal all the reports when they transfer.. you might end up having to do some weird transfer/EVA dance if say you wanted science to return to Kerbin but not the kerbals on the station etc.

I'd love to see those features become stock. It's simple, it's straightforward, and lines up perfectly with Resource transfer...

The above two posters make good points about science transfer being handled separately from crew transfer. I was mostly hoping to avoid a situation where crew transfer is implemented but science transfer is not, meaning we'd still need to do eva transfers if we want to bring science. Transferring science separately would be better still.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.