Only Just Now I Realized Minecraft's Atrocious Community

LexiSilva

So I finally have noticed that every Minecraft server is either giving EVERYONE admin status, lets you PAY for Operator status, or whines when you're a "tattle tale".

It's mostly just 12 year olds, especially compared to the KSP community where we all help out each other and can showcase our stuff and share techniques!

I basically decided to block everything containing Minecraft from my internet browser so I don't get sucked up into the drama that is that community.

...Seriously? :huh:

If you're looking for affirmation of how cool you are because you have posted on the KSP forum and therefore belong to "the best community", this is the wrong way to do it. All this post does is make you look elitist, not to mention that the way it's worded invites drama instead of avoiding it. Are you sure that drama follows you around because of other people's actions...?

A community is made a good community by the mature behavior of all of its members. This includes being mature enough not to point at others and laugh about how much those kiddie noobs suck, haha, look how I am blocking them all. I'd like to think that the KSP community, if it is as good as its members claim, would be above this kind of thing.

As for judging a community from interaction experiences, there's a few tidbits to consider from a social sciences perspective:

Minecraft is a multiplayer game, KSP is not. That is a pretty major difference. It's incredibly easy to happily agree with each other from the safety of your very own protected playing sandbox, which so conveniently shields you from the simple truth that the internet is a zero consequence, total anonymity club (at least as far as the common user is concerned). If KSP was a multiplayer game from the get-go, and there were public servers open to anyone, our experiences might be quite a bit different. You'd see people with admin rights and people without, you'd see people use these powers and you'd see people abuse these powers, you'd see contention over who deserves having them, and you'd see people socially engineer (or buy) themselves on the right side of that power difference. You'd also see people join a server for the sole purpose of launching a rocket into someone's space station, and if they get banned, who cares? They weren't planning to stay anyway.

It may be hard to accept when looking the largely good behavior of the forum population we have here, but there's another statistic to consider: less than 5% of people who play a game will ever visit that game's forum, and of those who do, less than 5% will sign up, and of those that do, less than a third actually post more than once or twice. What you consider "the KSP community" is actually just a tiny subsection of all KSP players. Less than half a percent, probably. Once multiplayer is stock, that will lead to quite a few surprises and incensed forum posting, I guarantee it.

A good takeaway is, be wary of public servers. In Minecraft, in KSP, in any online game. Instead, it can help tremendously if you can find yourself some friends in the parts of the community that you enjoy interacting with, and play together with them. For example, I've hosted Minecraft servers for my online friends for almost three years now. These servers have exactly one rule: "be excellent to each other". And I've not had a single problematic player incident in all this time.

The bottomline: a community is as good as every single member makes it. No single person is exempt from the responsibility of acting mature.

pf that game lasted 5 minutes here. reminded me of childhood.. brother breaks my lego tower, i push over his. both cry. moderator mommy bans us both from legoland.

never understood the minecraft hype anyways. and i agree, ksp community is awesome. all the old-timers here should be proud. btw, if you want a glimpse of the worst community ever, play rust.

Oh, okay! I hear your point about the small fraction of players who post on Forums.

But I disagree about your "Some people doesn't want to play for real so crashes rocket into space station". That player would already have to know orbiting, rendevous, and stuff. All things that other people may be able to detect beforehand, and would take a lot of learning.

That doesn't make Minecraft a bad game though.

Let's face it, there is far more creativity available in MC then there is in KSP, quite a bit more freedom to do whatever you like.

Of course that doesn't make the community any better, I still love the KSP community, I've stopped playing KSP though after the move to curse ruining my ability to get my mods effectively.

Minecraft single player is still worth playing in my opinion. Currently I'm very fond of the Electrical Age mod, which is, at least to my knowledge, the most realistic electrical circuit simulator in which in contrast with programs like TINA, and Edison Multimedia Lab, you can actually wire up a simulated 3D environment with electrical circuits. While it simplifies some things (eg. there is no AC and DC electricity, just a mixture that takes the best from both worlds) I've always wanted a simulator where you can build a house/village/building etc. and then can wire it up realistically with electricity. With the help of this mod, I've built a hydroelectric power plant transmitting electricity to three NPC villages, which all have streetlights and electrical supply in every house. You have to account for voltage drop, generating enough current to not have lights flicker when you turn on an electric furnace, etc.

That doesn't make Minecraft a bad game though.

Let's face it, there is far more creativity available in MC then there is in KSP, quite a bit more freedom to do whatever you like.

Of course that doesn't make the community any better, I still love the KSP community, I've stopped playing KSP though after the move to curse ruining my ability to get my mods effectively.

Yeah, I'm not attacking the game in any way. The game is brilliant and I am a decent builder in it.

The community there is what bugs me. If you mention gold in any way... oh dear Notch almighty.

Ok, i respect your decision, but in my world such "i quit ksp because curse" reasoning is exactly the kind of drama i am happy to leave to the mc crowd. Just saying.

I really enjoy building jets in Minecraft and then getting the Zeppelin mod so I can actually FLY jets and airships :D

I also love Redstone. I am a programmer and an electronics nut so I love playing with gates and logic circuits and stuff.

I even made a 3D-printer and an ISS. Heck, I built a space shuttle and actually did dockings to the station, in Minecraft.

Seems impossible? Actually, quite easy.

They've become what they hated, a community that has ridiculous pride and immaturity.

Just like how they saw the Roblox community as.

You become what you hate if you do nothing but hate.

And this, dude, is spot-on. Thank you so much for cementing what I always thought was the case but wasn't sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.