Large Turbofan Jet Engine

Hi!

I like building large cargo planes that can haul the heaviest / largest KSP components to other airfields, but, I've noticed there's a distinct lack of powerful air breathing engines to make this task easier. Actually, there arent ANY fan / propeller based engines at all.

According to the Wikipedia, the GE90 family is the largest / most powerful turbofan to date with the GE90-115B putting out 568.9kN of thrust (world record).

Proposing that a similar, large turbofan engine, be added to KSP for us 'spaceplane' fans :D

Edited by JNC

On popular note, there are mods that add more aircraft engines to the game. Icluding electric propellers and many more. I think Firespitter mod is one of them.

There definitely is large lack of aircraft parts and engines in the game. We're going to get a bunch of new parts from the SpacePlane Plus mod in the next release but AFAIK it does not contain engines. I honestly believe these will come over time, too. We just need to be patient and/or use mods in the meantime.

On popular note, there are mods that add more aircraft engines to the game. Icluding electric propellers and many more. I think Firespitter mod is one of them.

There definitely is large lack of aircraft parts and engines in the game. We're going to get a bunch of new parts from the SpacePlane Plus mod in the next release but AFAIK it does not contain engines. I honestly believe these will come over time, too. We just need to be patient and/or use mods in the meantime.

With that, we also need better filtering in the parts window. Especially with the possibility that we're getting more distinct "wing" parts. The current parts windows will just explode.

Odd, I find myself wishing for a 0.625m jet engine more often than a larger than 1.25m one. Either or both would be welcome, because more parts equals more choices for the player.

Actually, I think that the .625 range would be a great place to introduce an electric propeller engine. Would let you build tiny probe fliers for places like Eve and Duna.

Odd, I find myself wishing for a 0.625m jet engine more often than a larger than 1.25m one. Either or both would be welcome, because more parts equals more choices for the player.

Actually, I think that the .625 range would be a great place to introduce an electric propeller engine. Would let you build tiny probe fliers for places like Eve and Duna.

I'd love to have both of those! And the 2.5m turbofan. And a 1.25m electric prop.

(I really love the engines in Firespitter)

However, I'd also like to see the #lolintake problem fixed. If they went with a simple system like AJE's intake design (AJE's complexity is at the engine-end of business, it's actually very simple on the intake end of things), you wouldn't have to worry about those annoying asymmetric flame-outs or air hogging abuse and such.

+1 on more size choices on aircraft parts.

I don't think SP+ will change a hell lot simply due to the fact that due to the fancy cross section of SP+ they aren't really versatile usable combined with other stuff. It's like combining pre made plastic parts for a distinct model with the KSP-typical lego brick approach of doing stuff. Don't understand me wrong, SP+ is a very nice and well done addon but just not what KSP really needs IMO.

Well done nli2work!

More variety, larger or smaller, would be MUCH appreciated in the air breathing engine department, but, this thread specifically pertains to 'large' turbofan engines... or i suppose air breathing, high thrust, high bypass, non rocket engines. I understand they're a niche as they would really only be meant for large spaceplanes demanding high thrust, possibly only on Kerbin. As such, a product like this is probably low priority at this point but if there is a spaceplane specific update / expansion planned, I feel it would make an excellent addition to that.

Great feedback though everyone, and all opinions welcome!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.