What's with the "we don't deserve it"

NASAFanboy

I don't understand the mentality of "we don't deserve to explore space".

I'm always like "excuse me dear sir, but to which galactic law are you referring to?". I simply cannot understand this mentality. "Lol we no go to Mars becuz we dun deserve to hurr durr". What makes a species "deserve" anything? Is there some set of intergalactic morals or some alien government that we haven't heard about?

Species don't deserve anything, they fight for it. We don't deserve anything, but we fight to survive.

[RANT MODE]

If you think that humanity doesn't deserve go to Mars, its not that we do. It's that you don't deserve to go, and simply put, don't. Keep your primitivist mind off that planet all you want, but don't try to block others from going with your selfishness.

Thank you.

[RANT MODE]

People have openly stated that?

I've never heard people say myself (all of my friends think space is cool, but that I'm crazy about it) but I wouldn't put it out of the question.

Personally, I would probably just ignore them, since there's no valid reasoning for "not deserving to explore space" and arguing against them would be messy and convoluted at best. Some people have the strangest notions of entitlement. If you deserve a new car, which is property of the manufacturer or dealership, then we deserve to go and explore space, which is no one's property.

Food for thought: if people back in the Renaissance or Middle Ages had this ideology, would people still have explored and colonized the Americas and other non-European locations?

Edited by OrbitusII

The only thing like this I've heard is people saying we need to fix the mess we made on Earth before we go anywhere else.

Gee, and what if the answers to fixing that mess... are somewhere else?

Of course, there's always this.

<<<Warning, the following video has been rated PG for simulated violence with a blunt butter knife>>>

Edited by vger

But you get my (or should I say Bob Zubrin's?) point. He didn't stay in spain to fix their problems.

*shrugs* comparing Columbus' travel to going to Mars is pretty retarded anyway.

I don't understand the mentality of "we don't deserve to explore space".

I have never seen anyone even suggest such a thing. The closest that I've ever seen is the argument that destroying potential unknown biospheres through carelessness or deliberate exploitation is not a wise or ethical thing to do (which is something I agree with).

Where are you getting the "we don't deserve" stuff from?

Yes, I've seen forum posts saying that humans should impose a kind of self quarantine, I believe it's a connected to the view that humans are essentially a disease.

it's a viewpoint I have big problems with, anyone who espouses that view has no understanding of corporate psychopathy.

There are two types of people, humans and psychopaths and psychopaths have a tendency to get to the top of powerful organisations because of their ability to manipulate and their desire to dominate.

off topic interesting fact:

Christopher Columbus real name was Cristóbal Colón

I don't know where this rant comes from, since I've never seen anyone claim that we don't deserve to go space. There is no merit or destiny or good or evil.

Humans are a migrating species, but we need a reason to move. We follow the bison and populate the fertile land. We flee wars and famine. We naturally go where we will improve the safety, comfort, or wealth of ourselves or our families. That's how we work. If one day, living in space offers better living conditions than on Earth, we will find a way to populate it.

Humans are a migrating species, but we need a reason to move.

There are also members of the species that like to go places and see things that no human has ever before, for the simple reason of "Because it's there".

There are also members of the species that like to go places and see things that no human has ever before, for the simple reason of "Because it's there".

Some individuals will be more curious and adventurous as others. These are the explorers or the scouts, but they do not represent the entire group, so it doesn't negate my point.

Just because some people climb the Himalaya "because it's there" doesn't mean that we will ever see massive settlements on top of Mount Everest.

Counterpoint: We are the only species on Earth to have developed a space program. It is also readily apparent that there are a lot more dead rocks in the Solar System than rocks that can easily harbor life.

It may be that it is humanity's destiny, then, to be the means whereby the Solar System blooms with life. Sure, lichen can survive in orbit for a while, and there were even some bacteria able to eke out a living on the Moon for a few years. But we might just be the way for life to thrive -- not just on Earth, but anywhere we go and stay for a while.

So what are we doing? OP was complaining about something that nobody seem to have said, the only thing close is:

The only thing like this I've heard is people saying we need to fix the mess we made on Earth before we go anywhere else.
Which doesn't say we shouldn't go to space, only that we should get our priorities straight...

so pointless thread?

We don't deserve to go to space because simply we can't and i am not talking about some Mars mission or other mission in our solar system. I guess "go to space" was meant to be colonize other planets. That's something that's not going to happen with things beeing like they are at the moment. Looking from this perspective we don't deserve it.

Guys please remember to keep modern politics and especially religion out of threads like this and elsewhere on the forums. Those two topics tend to derail and cause some hostility completely unrelated to the initial discussion.

I'm going to leave it open for continued discussion, but the thread is being watched.

Edited by shadowsutekh

We don't deserve to go to space because simply we can't and i am not talking about some Mars mission or other mission in our solar system. I guess "go to space" was meant to be colonize other planets. That's something that's not going to happen with things beeing like they are at the moment. Looking from this perspective we don't deserve it.

If all of us individually were to judge ourselves based on the worst that our race has to offer, we would all be committing suicide.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.