[1.0.4] ESLD Jump Beacons - [Dev 0.6a]

TMarkos

Just tested it a bit... Apart from the jump formulas, is there any possibility to calculate or display the running costs of the beacons? Because I launched my first beacon into space just to find out it hadn't even enough initial electricity to run. I think a display of the required maximum charge would be the best solution, if that's not on the to-do list anyways.

The only rub... is that to harvest around the sun you're looking at altitudes below 2000m

(Edit)

Where I am going with this... is that if there's variance in your arrival point, you will probably at some point poral into the middle of a star. Solar operations would probably require a beacon further out followed by a rendezvous with the collector station to shuttle the stuff back and forth.

So a solar harvesting point is the most dangerous, Eve is hard to get off of, which leaves Eeloo as your most likely mining spot.

Love the thought going into this joint venture (K+ and Jump Beacons). Imagine a new series of Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest using some of these cool new mods (MKS, ESLD, Karbonite, K+, etc...). That would be epic.

Released 0.3b - mostly just a compatibility update, but I wanted to fix that before I dive back in. I probably should have put it out there earlier that my job (actual pays-me-money type job) can get pretty crazy and so you may occasionally see me disappear from the face of the earth for a few weeks. Please don't interpret this as me abandoning the mod! I should have some free time this week and the next and I plan to use it to chip away at the remaining pre-release issues.

Download

Dropbox

Kerbal Stuff

Github

Changelog

2014-09-21 0.3b
-Updated ModuleManager config for Karbonite Plus compatibility.
-Updated ModuleManager version.
-Updated Community Resource Pack files.

Just tested it a bit... Apart from the jump formulas, is there any possibility to calculate or display the running costs of the beacons? Because I launched my first beacon into space just to find out it hadn't even enough initial electricity to run. I think a display of the required maximum charge would be the best solution, if that's not on the to-do list anyways.

Well, that's a bit more difficult than it sounds at first glance. See, the maximum charge required to turn on and operate the beacon is tied to how deep it is in the gravity well relative to its maximum gravitational tolerance. If you find that a beacon isn't capable of going online in its current position, move it farther out and see how that affects it. Also, be careful if you have a Gravitational Mitigator installed, as it will increase the electrical charge required to operate at any altitude.

Released 0.3b - mostly just a compatibility update, but I wanted to fix that before I dive back in. I probably should have put it out there earlier that my job (actual pays-me-money type job) can get pretty crazy and so you may occasionally see me disappear from the face of the earth for a few weeks. Please don't interpret this as me abandoning the mod! I should have some free time this week and the next and I plan to use it to chip away at the remaining pre-release issues.

Download

Dropbox

Kerbal Stuff

Github

Changelog

2014-09-21 0.3b
-Updated ModuleManager config for Karbonite Plus compatibility.

Well, that's a bit more difficult than it sounds at first glance. See, the maximum charge required to turn on and operate the beacon is tied to how deep it is in the gravity well relative to its maximum gravitational tolerance. If you find that a beacon isn't capable of going online in its current position, move it farther out and see how that affects it. Also, be careful if you have a Gravitational Mitigator installed, as it will increase the electrical charge required to operate at any altitude.

Awesome, thanks :)

To help me out - what USI/Karbonite modules are you using? Reason being I am sorting out all of the changes for 0.25 and I'd like to make sure I don't break anything day one.

Awesome, thanks :)

To help me out - what USI/Karbonite modules are you using? Reason being I am sorting out all of the changes for 0.25 and I'd like to make sure I don't break anything day one.

I'm currently just checking to see if Karbonite and KarbPlus are there to adjust the tweakability of Karborundum (it's not tweakable if Karbonite is present) and to adjust the availability of the Karbonite -> Karborundum converter (not available if K+ is present).

The config uses the standard USI converter in the Karbonite -> Karborundum conversion for those that don't want to harvest with K+, but I plan on opening that up again to incorporate the microgravity limitations and secondary resource requirements that had been discussed previously. Even then, I don't think there's much of a risk of stuff breaking. Worst case scenario I have to update my MM configs. I'm not using anything in my own modules that would result in a dependency on USI stuff.

I'm currently just checking to see if Karbonite and KarbPlus are there to adjust the tweakability of Karborundum (it's not tweakable if Karbonite is present) and to adjust the availability of the Karbonite -> Karborundum converter (not available if K+ is present).

The config uses the standard USI converter in the Karbonite -> Karborundum conversion for those that don't want to harvest with K+, but I plan on opening that up again to incorporate the microgravity limitations and secondary resource requirements that had been discussed previously. Even then, I don't think there's much of a risk of stuff breaking. Worst case scenario I have to update my MM configs. I'm not using anything in my own modules that would result in a dependency on USI stuff.

Good deal, and the USI bits do have KSP-AVC support. Worst case you just want to make sure you use the latest ones (which KSP-AVC will inform you of).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, still using this mod with .24.2 since not all of my mods are updated yet. Right now i have i problem of understanding.

I have three beacons active at the moment, one around kerbin (1800km), one around duna and one around minmus. The minmus one is an early testbeacon (smallest beacon), and both beacons around duna and kerbin are LB-15 "Meander". I had successful transfers from Kerbin to Duna and back before, and Karborundum is plentyful in both. Transfercosts were mostly around 150-200 Karborundum per trip. But a new try with a light vehicle (30t) showed the needed amount roundabout 30000 Units Karborundum from Kerbin to Duna... :) Does this mean that Duna ist just too far away at the moment?

Hi, still using this mod with .24.2 since not all of my mods are updated yet. Right now i have i problem of understanding.

I have three beacons active at the moment, one around kerbin (1800km), one around duna and one around minmus. The minmus one is an early testbeacon (smallest beacon), and both beacons around duna and kerbin are LB-15 "Meander". I had successful transfers from Kerbin to Duna and back before, and Karborundum is plentyful in both. Transfercosts were mostly around 150-200 Karborundum per trip. But a new try with a light vehicle (30t) showed the needed amount roundabout 30000 Units Karborundum from Kerbin to Duna... :) Does this mean that Duna ist just too far away at the moment?

Are you using any of the assistive boxes to match velocity? Those can add a bit. Same goes for if your ship has a lot of Karborundum on board and you're using a Heisenkerb Compensator - it'll charge extra if "volatile materials" are on board.

30t should be well within range for a Kerbin-Duna trip on the LB15. LB15's strength is in vehicles under 40t or so, so yours shouldn't pose a challenge.

Not to be a pest, but is this mod still in development?

I would assume we're going to see updates someday. TMarkos has previously stated that he sometimes has to drop away from the forums/KSP:

I probably should have put it out there earlier that my job (actual pays-me-money type job) can get pretty crazy and so you may occasionally see me disappear from the face of the earth for a few weeks. Please don't interpret this as me abandoning the mod!

Not to be a pest, but is this mod still in development?

Yes! Not today, but as I have time. The day after I made the post that nightingale quoted (the one where I said I'd have time to work on it that week) a coworker went on short term medical leave and I inherited a rather major project. Hopefully I can stop back in and keep things tidy (I plan to at least find some time to confirm it's compatible with the current version and update the CRP resources again) and when things clear up I'm going to tackle my open issues list again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully I can stop back in and keep things tidy (I plan to at least find some time to confirm it's compatible with the current version and update the CRP resources again) and when things clear up I'm going to tackle my open issues list again.

As far as I can tell so far, I've only tested with the LB10, it still works, aside from some attachment node oddness and falling through the launch pad (only the beacon itself, not attached parts like probe cores) with the LB10. I will edit this post after I test the other beacons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a recompile for .90. I had to make a change to one line in ESLDSampleTank.cs to get it to compile against the new version (you can see the change here: https://github.com/TMarkos/ESLDBeacons/pull/54/files). I've only done a quick check, but it seems to be working fine. To install just replace your existing EDSLCore.dll with the one in the zip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fniar1kr48gur0/ESLDBeacons%20for%20.90.7z?dl=0

License is GPL2, source is included in the zip.

Edited by PolySoup

• 3 months later...

So I've been away for a bit, but I think I'm going to crack this open now that we're in 1.0.2 and I have some free time here and there. I've taken an initial stab at fixing the part issues that came up. I'm keeping this github-only until I've finished the career-mode rebalance. Any input from interested testers is always appreciated, since I'm sure I missed a few bugs here or there.

Just for emphasis - this is really not intended for career-mode use in its current state. You will have a bad time getting Karborundum (unless you're using RoverDude's K+) since there's no way to procure it outside of the VAB/Hyperedit right now. I'm just getting the mechanics ironed out so I can take a look at the new stock resources system.

https://github.com/TMarkos/ESLDBeacons/releases

Changelog:

2015-05-17 0.3g
-Updated part nodes/sizes/attach.
-Recompiled against 1.0.2.

Okay! Career is workable now. Kerbalstuff has been added back in as a source. Parts are now properly around the same nodes you can start extracting fuel, and the more advanced beacons are one node further. It should gracefully remove its changes to the stock resource extraction if you happen to have K+ installed.

https://github.com/TMarkos/ESLDBeacons/releases/tag/0.4

Changelog

2015-05-17 0.4
- Placed all parts in Adv. Science Tech and Experimental Science nodes.
- Balanced part costs & part entry costs.
- Added MM config (Scan_Extract_MM.cfg) to add Karborundum scanning to stock resource extraction parts in the absence of K+.  Karborundum now appears as specified in CRP on Eve, Eeloo and in some asteroids.
- Added manufacturer to techboxes.
- Added nickname to IB-1.
- Updated list of resources that need Heisenkerb shielding to avoid exploding during beacon transit.
Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Sweet. Soon I'll be flaunting several super luminal drives in relativities' stupid blue face.

Have you considered removing dependency by using the new stock resource system and simply requiring stupidly large amounts of ore to convert into hyper fuel?

Edited by Disposeable

Sweet. Soon I'll be flaunting several super luminal drives in relativities' stupid blue face.

Have you considered removing dependency by using the new stock resource system and simply requiring stupidly large amounts of ore to convert into hyper fuel?

The thought did occur to me, but I decided to leave it with Karborundum for the simple reason that it isn't just a matter of timewarping. There are only three locations you can stock up on this stuff, and they each present unique challenges. You can rather easily and quickly get it from asteroids, but only some asteroids have it and you don't know if it does or not until you reach there, so it's kind of like a double-or-nothing. Eve has its obvious drawbacks, but you don't have to worry about landing your refinery (so it can be bigger) and power generation is simple. Eeloo is just really, really far away, which means that your initial setup will take years and you have serious problems with power generation (I think you need 3 jumbo solar panels to provide 1 EC/s) so you either have to blitz RTGs, also refine ore for fuel cells, or come up with some other creative solution. There's a potential 4th solution if you're running K+, which involves a solar-orbit particle collector. That just sounds like a huge pain in the ass, but could be fun. Still difficult, so I like it.

Contrast that with ore, where you could just do the standard thing where you plop a refinery on Minmus and go to town. Nobody would bother with the technical challenges of siting it elsewhere. This makes you really problem-solve to get your infrastructure up, so that when you warp that first vessel you feel like you're really earning it. CRP isn't a crippling dependency, it's more just an easy sheet of resources you can include. Besides, it's Roverdude's stuff - it's pretty much as close to stock as you're going to get.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.