[WIP] MapResourceOverlay (works for Karbonite,MKS for now)

Cyrik

This is really awesome work btw. Really glad to see someone taking this on.

Next request - is there an option to adjust sensitivity?

it depends on what you mean by that:) i´m kind of guessing you mean a kind of slider that only colors above a certain value?

btw i´m still not sure if i´m displaying it the right way anyway. i´m not a gaphics guy. for now it just takes the abundance from ors and multiplies it by a lot and then throws that into the R of RGB:) the biggest problem with that, is that resources have different abundance ranges, which is why substrate mostly makes the whole planet red. still trying to figure out the best way to get at range possible for the resource i´m displaying.

Hi there, cool stuff!

When we can get "mouse over tooltips" like on the Kathene overlay one day it will be golden!

Also showing multipleRessources with diffrent colors at the same time would be great, I miss that in all others (ScanSAT/ORS-Bubbels)

KSP 24.2 32Bit Windows + ActiveTextureManagement-Basic, KarboniteStuff, ScanSat, RemoteTech2, TACLS - nothing showing up in the logs that would indicate any errors =)

Until then, i noticed the following:

- I have one "always on" layer for (Karbonite it seems) on every body (mapView and TrackingStation) using the on/off controlls in the menu adds another layer. The newly spawned one reacts to the controls just fine, but the initial one stays on all time showing Karbonite or a mix of all... (Screenshot from "off" state, compare with "on")

- I can add the button to toolbar on the TrackingStation view, but it wont show up (ether "not offer" the button in this scene, or better, make it work :P ) - FlightScene works just fine!

- There is a quite noticeable GAP on the 12oclock of each body, dont know if thats your display or the actuall ressource mapping beeing yerky

Also, not sure if your stuff could cause that (as i run a bunch of mods, including ImprovedChaseCamera, NavHud, EVE and stuffs that yerks with the camera from the "KSPStockTweaks" Pack)

- Jumping to a rocket on the pad zooms me WAAAAY out (Kerbin gets down to a single pixel), once I zoom in and try zooming out again I hit the normal "limit" at some point and its all fine

anyone alse getting this? I belive its the FlightDefFreeCam actually "doing" it, but its not happening without MapResourceOverlay

Hi there, cool stuff!

When we can get "mouse over tooltips" like on the Kathene overlay one day it will be golden!

Also showing multipleRessources with diffrent colors at the same time would be great, I miss that in all others (ScanSAT/ORS-Bubbels)

working on the tooltips right now. and i´m not sure if overlaying different colors would really help since they are mostly in the same spots, so you would just see a blended color.

KSP 24.2 32Bit Windows + ActiveTextureManagement-Basic, KarboniteStuff, ScanSat, RemoteTech2, TACLS - nothing showing up in the logs that would indicate any errors =)

Until then, i noticed the following:

- I have one "always on" layer for (Karbonite it seems) on every body (mapView and TrackingStation) using the on/off controlls in the menu adds another layer. The newly spawned one reacts to the controls just fine, but the initial one stays on all time showing Karbonite or a mix of all... (Screenshot from "off" state, compare with "on")

are you using the 0.01.1 version? beeing disabled at the start fixed it for me. if you are on the newest version i´ll have to hunt for it.

- I can add the button to toolbar on the TrackingStation view, but it wont show up (ether "not offer" the button in this scene, or better, make it work :P ) - FlightScene works just fine!

- There is a quite noticeable GAP on the 12oclock of each body, dont know if thats your display or the actuall ressource mapping beeing yerky

Also, not sure if your stuff could cause that (as i run a bunch of mods, including ImprovedChaseCamera, NavHud, EVE and stuffs that yerks with the camera from the "KSPStockTweaks" Pack)

- Jumping to a rocket on the pad zooms me WAAAAY out (Kerbin gets down to a single pixel), once I zoom in and try zooming out again I hit the normal "limit" at some point and its all fine

anyone alse getting this? I belive its the FlightDefFreeCam actually "doing" it, but its not happening without MapResourceOverlay

i dont see that behaviour but i´ll install flightdeffreecam and try it

are you using the 0.01.1 version? beeing disabled at the start fixed it for me. if you are on the newest version i´ll have to hunt for it.

I do, just downloaded it 5 minutes before my post =)

Actually its seems to only show up when starting a new game, when i load the save now it starts disabled and i can correctly turn it on and off =)

//edit - its also not happy with "revert to launchpad"

Would be neat to have a configfile/button to turn default on/off, and some visual feedback what ressource is active (im sure the buttons have a "active" state you can lock them too) =)

But what am I saying, spaming on UI in Add-on Development ;D

i´m not sure if overlaying different colors would really help since they are mostly in the same spots

Not sure on this... but i think I mostly look for like 2, maximum 3 at the same spot, that should kinda work - while sure no point in activating like 6 layers^^

Edited by Tabakhase

working on the tooltips right now. and i´m not sure if overlaying different colors would really help since they are mostly in the same spots, so you would just see a blended color.

i dont see that behaviour but i´ll install flightdeffreecam and try it

Fantastic start!

From what I can tell the layer may not be getting cleared on scene exit, so if you exit the scene with the overlay toggled on and then come back it will draw a new layer over-top and lose control over the first. I have been able to repeat this a couple of times with the planet becoming more and more red each time :).

I suppose another possibility is that you might need to check to see if there is already a layer rendered on scene change.

Edited by sirklick

Fantastic start!

From what I can tell the layer may not be getting cleared on scene exit, so if you exit the scene with the overlay toggled on and then come back it will draw a new layer over-top and lose control over the first. I have been able to repeat this a couple of times with the planet becoming more and more red each time :).

I suppose another possibility is that you might need to check to see if there is already a layer rendered on scene change.

thanks, ill check if i can find it. i´m guessing ksp must be adding my mod for every scene then

finally got tooltips to work:

WbDb4rh.png

only took me about 6 hours of agony until sarbian saved me. god i hate ksp's coordinate system... only took me 2 hours to figure out that raycasting doesnt work on stuff thats far away...

anyway, i´ll look into the stuff you guys reported and then i´ll throw up the next update

finally got tooltips to work:

http://i.imgur.com/WbDb4rh.png

only took me about 6 hours of agony until sarbian saved me. god i hate ksp's coordinate system... only took me 2 hours to figure out that raycasting doesnt work on stuff thats far away...

anyway, i´ll look into the stuff you guys reported and then i´ll throw up the next update

VERY nice!

Very cool. This is the kind of overlay that I was hoping for, much nicer than the orange orbs.

I agree that it should have optional ScanSat integration so that we can scan for it.

Although I having it tied to the Karbonite scanner part would be acceptable.

scansat integration is done, i'm not sure if i can do continues updates though. its pretty slow to change all the colors and i'm not sure if i can get an update from scansat other then checking every single point on the map

What you might want to do is build a cache of the current map. If it has already been scanned then store that info and only check the remaining un-scanned regions when you update. And since ORS maps are pretty small you can just scan something like one row of pixels each update, then it will only take a few seconds to re-check the entire map.

Yeah, the DL-link is broken... For anyone still wanting to download the mod, just look at the adress bar and remove the 2nd half of the URL (after the .../MapResourceOverlay.0.01.2.rar) I would provide the fixed link myself, but I'm not sure whether Cyrik would like that.

Anyway, great mod! Was the last thing keeping me from switching from Kethane to Karbonite in .24 (That, and vacation :P)

Edit: This is the link to the GitHub release page, which is probably safe for me to post: https://github.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/releases

Edited by MarrusQ
Added (probably) safe link

Yeah, the DL-link is broken... For anyone still wanting to download the mod, just look at the adress bar and remove the 2nd half of the URL (after the .../MapResourceOverlay.0.01.2.rar) I would provide the fixed link myself, but I'm not sure whether Cyrik would like that.

Anyway, great mod! Was the last thing keeping me from switching from Kethane to Karbonite in .24 (That, and vacation :P)

Edit: This is the link to the GitHub release page, which is probably safe for me to post: https://github.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/releases

thanks. the link in the main post is updated aswell. not sure how i broke it:)

new version is up

scansat integration is running pretty well now. updating 2 latitudes in every update. its still not the fastest thing ever but if your pc is dying you can always disable either the overlay or the scansat integration:P gonna try to optimize it a bit more for release but for right now its enough work on a minor feature thats only active for a short time

ScanSat-integration is working great for me =)

just please disable the tooltip on F2 (hideUI event stuff) and I would really like to use it from the TrackingStation as well :P

But i have HUGE framedrops and freezes for tooltips on a distant body on the mapview while beeing in kerbin orbit with my ship (so Kerbin vessel, view on Mun) (same with scansat on/off) while tooltips on Kerbin are fine.

When I put the vessel into Mun SOI the Mun tooltips are fine, but the ones for Kerbin lag my Game.

Seeing the logs its the ORS request that takes a moment here... Only the actuall tooltip lags it, maybe disable these for distant bodys? //(have an option to turn them on/off/showAllRessources?)

// 24.2 32bit running all from ssd with tons of mem

Oh, and the "duplication" thing is totally gone, great!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.