[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

Love the look! Plans for more sizes?
Yep - we'll be making one bigger, and one smaller size. Any more would probably be overwhelming.

Correction to DasPenguins comment: We actually do not have a larger BoxSat in the current plans. We do have plans to add a payload module size and accompanying payload frame. The frame would still be 62.5cm and allow for larger modules like a goo experiment or an ion engine.

I have toyed with the idea of a larger frame size but I'd want it to use the current set of modules so that we aren't continuously reinventing the wheel across size classes and ballooning the install size. The first thing I'm considering when I look at other sizes is what parts does it work with? So that's where I turn to the user and ask what parts are you looking to use with BoxSat that don't fit on the current 62cm model?

Found it extremely convenient when building tiny rover

http://imgur.com/a/IPCNT

I like it. Thank you for the pictures. Did you use Infernal Robotics to rotate the wheel parts?

DasPenguin and I have discussed attemping a similar probe rover mod. I'm still working the idea over to see if we can reuse parts effectively or if it would be a separate effort.

edit: You inspired me to make a tiny rover using the boxsat probe module.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by orcmaul
add tiny rover pictures

Did you use Infernal Robotics to rotate the wheel parts?

Yes. IR (reworked parts) Rotatron basic.

Plus, fuel modules inside for LFO engines & RCS.

The mod is the awesome "lego brick" for building interesting structures.

DasPenguin and I have discussed attemping a similar probe rover mod. I'm still working the idea over to see if we can reuse parts effectively or if it would be a separate effort.

I'll send you some ideas sketches if I'll have free time.

Have you thought about adding tweakscale for more sizes?

I went one better and tried it. I made a tweakscale config for BoxSat (it'll be at the bottom of the post) and tried it out. Hmm... so the tweakscale part works but it looks like tweakscale and KAS don't understand each-other well enough to keep me from doing very silly things. If anyone knows if there are settings that prevent this do let me know. Here are some pictures of my testing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(link removed now that tweakscale config is included in the release download)

Edited by orcmaul

Btw. since there's a LFO module - would be nice to have a tiny engine of the same style. Similar to tiny engines from AIES mod.

Loving the look of this mod and can't wait to see it grow! The one thing that should definitely be implemented is a tiny LFO engine, just as Horus said.

Awesome mod! It really looks great and is useful. But would it be possible to add Kerbal Engineer to the BoxSat core? It'd be really useful, since clipping the chip into the satellite isn't an ideal solution.

You can make a MM like

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]

{

MODULE

{

name = BuildEngineer

}

}

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]

{

MODULE

{

name = FlightEngineer

}

}

EDIT- HEHE my bad cy-one

Edited by Mecripp2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.