[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

Regarding size, I suggest a 1.25, frame that accepts the standard parts - just more of them. After that there might be a need for a 1.25m frame devoted to propulsion systems that don't fit in the small frame. (but not replicating larger versions of the original components)

Edited by rhoark

Fitting with the whole cubesat theme, I suggest making a small modular xenon tank and accompanying modular ion thruster. I think that it'd be awesome to have a minimalistic ion-powered interplanetary probe in the style of your satellites.

http://exploration.engin.umich.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CAT-Cross-Section.png

D'aww its cute.

What's the range on that dish and will there be different versions with different stats? Also, is there any plan for a static antenna?

This is only one of the antennas that will be included in the next update. The ranges will be updated prior to release, and perhaps with community feedback after release. I can assure you that the signal will reach across KSC - hell, maybe even to space. :)

On a serious note, we have 3 antennas planned to satisfy the RT2 fans out there. More may come in the future, but for now the magic number is 3.

The other developer of BoxSat, Orcmaul, will be posting a more comprehensive breakdown of planned features for the next update (and maybe beyond) so everyone can know what's coming in more detail.

Just love that K-Haul Box be cute to have one as a KAS Box but bet the RCS thrusters would be hard to mount if you could get all in the box and build it in space.

That has been the cause for so many laughs between myself and the other dev - everyone wants to play with the box it came in :P

I agree, I'd rather see ion engines than LFO engines.

Glad to see some antennas coming.

Any word on ScanSat parts (although imo, these would be best as two part-parts... using a server sled for the processing, and magnet booms and a spectral sensor for the detection for the sled to process).

Super nice mod btw, no construction issues, looks great, all around very nicely made.

Any word on ScanSat parts (although imo, these would be best as two part-parts... using a server sled for the processing, and magnet booms and a spectral sensor for the detection for the sled to process).

Which ScanSat parts in particular did you feel needed the BoxSat treatment?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I didn't have time to work up a BoxSat with an SAR but of the three scanning sensors it would be the one I could see doing a new version of for BoxSat. The MapTraq and BTDT could maybe also use a more appropriately sized version.

Here is our current plan for what we'll be releasing in our next update.

Coming soon in BoxSat vA.02

Science Modules:

• Accelerometer
  • Barometer
  • Gravioli Detector
  • Thermometer

Antenna:

• Kerbin range extending metal tape antenna
  • Minmus range Yagi-Uda antenna
  • Duna range hinged offset dish antenna

Other:

• possible module manager files for a part failure mod (still being investigated for implementation)

We are trying to keep this update small so we can release a quick follow up to our initial release. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Edited by orcmaul

Which ScanSat parts in particular did you feel needed the BoxSat treatment?

http://imgur.com/a/pupXN

I didn't have time to work up a BoxSat with an SAR but of the three scanning sensors it would be the one I could see doing a new version of for BoxSat. The MapTraq and BTDT could maybe also use a more appropriately sized version.

As far as i know the MapTraq is no longer needed if you use the 7.X version of ScanSat. So 1 part less :) And the BTDT is useless in space anyway as the range is 5km . Only if you build a rover with scansat modules its a problem.

Btw: the tweakscale config is nice. Works perfectly, if you get the correct node on the bottom stack (well, and the ressource skyrocket but ok :D ). Then it doesnt sink into the hull.

Is there a reason why on the solar panels is a % scale with this little range? If you would scale the sat to 5m the solar panels look tiny on 200% :D But i dont know(yet) how to change the .cfg .

The only thing missing now is a mod which makes satellites usefull. ScanSat and RT2 are so far the only reason (yeah and a bit of science).

The existing scansat models look great.

Maybe my issue is more that the ranges:

Radar = ideal 250km

spectral = ideal 250km

ore = ideal 250km (although really the karbonite scanner can handle this, and doesn't have the mass issue the ore one has so no unbalancing the rocket...)

karbonite = ideal 250km

sar is 750km, so it's alone.

Put radar, multispec and karbonite on the same cube... or two.

Parts look and function great. The only very minor problem I've noticed is that if you build a BoxSat in the SPH and launch it to the runway, some phantom force is generated that makes it creep towards the west on the runway surface. Doesn't happen on the launchpad or if it's attached to something larger. Don't know if it's significant enough to affect it's flight path in orbit.

And if you're taking suggestions for more parts, perhaps a mounting rack for the cube frame, similar to the mounting point for KAS containers?

Parts look and function great. The only very minor problem I've noticed is that if you build a BoxSat in the SPH and launch it to the runway, some phantom force is generated that makes it creep towards the west on the runway surface. Doesn't happen on the launchpad or if it's attached to something larger. Don't know if it's significant enough to affect it's flight path in orbit.

And if you're taking suggestions for more parts, perhaps a mounting rack for the cube frame, similar to the mounting point for KAS containers?

HEHE yah that K-Haul Box Kas Container.:sticktongue:

The only very minor problem I've noticed is that if you build a BoxSat in the SPH and launch it to the runway, some phantom force is generated that makes it creep towards the west on the runway surface. Doesn't happen on the launchpad or if it's attached to something larger. Don't know if it's significant enough to affect it's flight path in orbit.

Hello, thanks for the bug report. I tried this out and the only thing I noticed was some awkward collision detection with the runway surface that caused the box to get bumped occasionally while I rolled it around the runway on reaction wheels. Do you still have the craft file? I'd like to test it out.

Hello, thanks for the bug report. I tried this out and the only thing I noticed was some awkward collision detection with the runway surface that caused the box to get bumped occasionally while I rolled it around the runway on reaction wheels. Do you still have the craft file? I'd like to test it out.

Didn't save it, but I'll see about reproducing it. I'll post the file if I can.

Edit: Here you go. Nothing but BoxSat parts. Turning on SAS doesn't stop the creep, but time warping does. My save is fairly heavily modded though, so it's entirely possible that it's a conflict.

http://textuploader.com/oah2

Edited by Boomerang

Edit: Here you go. Nothing but BoxSat parts. Turning on SAS doesn't stop the creep, but time warping does. My save is fairly heavily modded though, so it's entirely possible that it's a conflict.

And there it is. Your craft file reproduced the problem on at least one of my installs. I'll check it out. Thank you again.

Trying my best to wait for the next release. Starting a new career with RT2 installed and am wanting to use these bad boys as the backbone of my satellite network.

After getting my hands on it, I've found that you guys have quite the nice little mod here. I don't see any other mod that is capable of doing the same things in the same ways that this mod is currently doing it. Once you get the science stuff ready plus the RT2 gear, I'll be a happy camper!

On a side note: I've never seen a satellite mod that's capable of becoming a mini rover :D

I've got serious sorts of missions that I ought to dealing with, but I can't stop playing with these parts. They look great and the functionality is fabulous, which is a bit of a rare combination.

Two ideas I've had, the first one being more practical/doable than the other:

Maybe in future releases we could be able to store the internal modules and/or the hatch on the outside nodes of the frame, where the panels currently attach to? Only because it's difficult for a single kerbal to remove/move around modules without leaving pieces (floating away) everywhere. So let's say you're going to roleplay a maintenance mission on a BoxSat, if one of the sides of the frame isn't covered by a solar panel or something else, the kerbal could store the hatch on that free side while working on the inner modules.

I realize that might pose problems when you want to 'store' the hatch back in it's natural position, but it's an idea. Maybe make another slim part that attaches to the outside of the frame that hatches and modules can be attached specifically too.

My other idea is a bit more far-fetched, but I'd love it if there were eventually TAC Life Support converter modules. Be able to build a frame to the side of a station/base with water filters or CO2 scrubbers built in. Adjusted to work for a smaller number of kerbals than the original TAC parts. Might be totally outside the scope of what you want to do, but I at least would use the heck out of such a thing.

Edited by Boomerang

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.