[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

Does it need a new frame? Can't you put a 48x48 rack in the existing frame as it stands? What else does the payload frame provide? is it lighter? Cheaper? Available for corporate sponsorship?

The payload frame will have an opening on the bottom to allow engine payload modules to fire downwards or if you flip the frame upside down and mount it on the front it will allow forward facing payload modules.

The payload frame will have an opening on the bottom to allow engine payload modules to fire downwards or if you flip the frame upside down and mount it on the front it will allow forward facing payload modules.

Ah! That makes sense... I still like the idea of a double wide module. Must be the years in northern Louisiana...

i have a dum question how and where in my ksp folder do i install the module manager configs

AFAIK those are for compatibility with other mods, and are not entirely necessary for BoxSat to work. Orcmaul made a lot of extra configs I don't really know much about, being the graphics dude. However, I have asked him your question and I'll let you know if I get a different response. Unfortunately he's a bit sick at the moment, so his mind must be slowed from plague or some such disease. (Everyone wish him well!)

Cool mod! I love satellites so "this was for me." I used it in an episode of my YT show (4k subs).

Time index set to exactly where I describe it (hmm time index is not working? It's at 36:24):

That is pure unadulterated epic awesomeness - you're the first person I know to show off the mod, and you did a great job! I subbed, so hopefully you have 4k+1 subs now. I keep playing with the idea of making my own video, but I'm atrocious at broadcasting. Thanks for the publicity! We do development in very fast bursts and tend to be done with testing in mere hours (hopefully it doesn't show lol) but if you'd like to get some pre-release access, let me know and I'll see what I can pull off :)

I just wanted to comment, that this mod has some beautiful models. Nicely done!

Thanks man! It's always nice to hear feedback from the community, especially when it's nice feedback :D

The payload frame will house modules that are essentially 4 regular modules put together - this way we can fit the tanks, science, and propulsion systems we're planning. The payload frame is going to be the same size as the regular frame.

Would this propulsion system be a Pulsed plasma thruster or Hall effect thruster?

Cool mod! I love satellites so "this was for me." I used it in an episode of my YT show (4k subs).

Thank you for featuring us in your video. I really like the way you used BoxSat parts with other mods to make your own unique satellite.

P.S. Here's a little backstory on why the frame wound up in the pods tab. Many of own playthroughs of KSP are basically exercises in mod hording and after a while the structure and propulsion tabs are just absurd. Meanwhile, even with a stack of mods the pod tab will typically be 1 or 2 pages. Technically speaking, it should go in the structure tab, but it's intended to be the first part in a small satellite build so I found it more convenient to put in the pod tab. Obviously, in your own install you can put it whatever tab you like. Part sorting mods would serve me well if I ever were to devote the initial effort into getting the parts the way I want them to.

Edited by orcmaul

KSP BoxSat Streaming on Twitch tomorrow at 1PM PST!

Myself and Orcmaul will be streaming tomorrow at 1pm PST working on the BoxSat A.03 update. Come on by and hang out with us while we develop the parts & features for the next update!

Twitch Stream Link

In case I ****** up with the time zones based on the time you said it, you start streaming in 50 minutes right?

Thanks to everyone who joined us for any part of our unplanned eleven hour BoxSat development streaming marathon. We got to see modeling, unwrapping, texturing, exporting, implementation in unity and we discussed the config file process (we'll try to get some stream of text files next time) and ended with some screenshots of a working part in KSP. We also got to chat with a bunch of really cool KSP fans, talk about rockets, and watch a Falcon 9 launch. I hope everyone had a good time and saw some neat things.

Also, thank you to Lolbster who featured us on the KSP-TV channel. That was cool.

That said, eleven hours was clearly too much and the good parts probably got spread a little thin. We're going to consider some changes to capture the full process and maybe use a little bit of production magic to let us show you a number of different parts of the production process in a shorter time frame. We're just getting started with streaming and still have a number of things to learn.

Thank you again to everyone that joined us and kudos to those that watched the whole thing. It was fun.

Alright, sorry for having to post this noob question, but how do I get the antennas working? Have tried all three of them and none of them extends or transmit anything. Just get a warning that my vessel is not outfitted with an antenna.

If you are using Remotetech you need to copy the RemoteTech_BoxSat.cfg file from the Optional ModuleManager Files folder in the BoxSat download to the Active_ModuleManager_Files folder located in GameData/BoxSat alpha.

If you are not using Remotetech then you need to make sure that the optional modulemanager files did not somehow wind up in your gamedata folder.

Further you may not have ModuleManager installed (we do not include modulemanager in our download) at all and if so you may need to go download and install that.

Edited by orcmaul

Alright, sorry for having to post this noob question, but how do I get the antennas working? Have tried all three of them and none of them extends or transmit anything. Just get a warning that my vessel is not outfitted with an antenna.

If you don't have RT2 installed and you installed the folder Optional ModuleManager files that was with the download the RT2 (RemoteTech_BoxSat) is more then likey your bug delete it and try again hope it helps.

EDIT- ninja slow browser refresh HEHE

EDIT- @orcmaul can't you write the RT2 cfg like

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]:NEEDS[RemoteTech2]:Final
I cut the rest to keep it short in the post.

EDIT- @orcmaul did alittle testing and looks like it works if you want to use it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech_BoxSat.cfg.zip that way people that don't have RT2 installed and copy them files too this will keep things playing nice.

Edited by Mecripp2

Ah, yes! :-) Thank you both :-) Deleting the optional modulemanager files and installing them again did the trick.

But I just realized that I will have a clean install of KSP for testing. Both for easier troubleshooting but also because now it takes several minutes to load KSP with all the addons.

would like to get more antennas soon though

Can one ever have enough antennas? We've got a couple more antenna planned for BoxSat.

Any chance of getting an active texture management config for this?

I'll look into what is needed for an ATM config.

Any chance of getting an active texture management config for this?

Create a text document, paste this

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = BoxSat alpha
enabled = true
}

save it as "BoxSat alpha.cfg" and place it in GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.