[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

Create a text document, paste this

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = BoxSat alpha
enabled = true
}

save it as "BoxSat alpha.cfg" and place it in GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder.

Yes, that would work but the normals would be very muddy. I'm still getting together a config that's a tad bit more gentle on the pixels. Going from a 2048x2048 texture space to a texture 256x256 space is probably adequate compression to initiate fusion. I'll post my results once I've had some time to test it under various conditions.

After finally being able to play with this, I've found something that can cause a slight issue. When you have the BoxSat frame and then put everything in it, its CoM is correct. What I've found is that when you add the Hatch it throws the CoM off just a hair, but it's enough to mess with your burns if you aren't careful. Just noting this here incase it hasn't been talked about / noticed before. The way I've fixed it for now is just making a MM patch adding the "PhysicsSignificance = 1" value to the part's config file.

I'll be honest, I don't know how well or even if KaS can handle a part with that flag set, so use at your own risk. Here's the file that needs to be added, just throw it in the "Active_ModuleManager_files" that's located in BoxSat's root directory. Download Here.

For those that don't want to DL the file and make the config for themselves, here's the bit that will need to be added to a MM config:

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_Hatch]
{
%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

I hope this will help someone if they've also noticed the small CoM issue. Hopefully an official fix will be included in the next version.

Keep up the great work Orcmaul and DasPenguin85! I think you guys know that I love this mod; if you ever need a third party tester where your work is in the "wild", I'd be more than willing to help. Also, if you're interested, I've also been messing with the LFO tank to make it the same weight as the MP tank; if you want I can send the MM files and try them out. Without the LFO tank having more fuel in it, the MP tank will always win because of the amount of dV you get compared to LFO tank.

Edit: Something I just thought of; with the recent B9 release, they changed all of their textures to .png's. I forget the full reason, but for some reason they load faster and have less of a memory impact, so it may be something you guys want to look into.

Edited by FiiZzioN

After finally being able to play with this, I've found something that can cause a slight issue. When you have the BoxSat frame and then put everything in it, its CoM is correct. What I've found is that when you add the Hatch it throws the CoM off just a hair, but it's enough to mess with your burns if you aren't careful.

Hooray! Someone finally noticed! You've discovered a little bonus I added for the very careful designer: unbalanced craft issues.

Just noting this here incase it hasn't been talked about / noticed before. The way I've fixed it for now is just making a MM patch adding the "PhysicsSignificance = 1" value to the part's config file.

I'll be honest, I don't know how well or even if KaS can handle a part with that flag set, so use at your own risk. Here's the file that needs to be added, just throw it in the "Active_ModuleManager_files" that's located in BoxSat's root directory.

(snip code)

I hope this will help someone if they've also noticed the small CoM issue. Hopefully an official fix will be included in the next version.

Wait, no... don't fix it. :( Use other parts as ballast to compensate or throttle engines so that reaction wheels/RCS can keep up. Without unbalanced design then even the probe's very weak reaction wheel can easily keep up with most engine options. This reduces the impact of the reaction wheel part.

Keep up the great work Orcmaul and DasPenguin85! I think you guys know that I love this mod; if you ever need a third party tester where your work is in the "wild", I'd be more than willing to help. Also, if you're interested, I've also been messing with the LFO tank to make it the same weight as the MP tank; if you want I can send the MM files and try them out. Without the LFO tank having more fuel in it, the MP tank will always win because of the amount of dV you get compared to LFO tank.

I may need to re-examine the balance between LFO and MP options. With the new payload module engines we are developing this will become a more significant decision.

Edit: Something I just thought of; with the recent B9 release, they changed all of their textures to .png's. I forget the full reason, but for some reason they load faster and have less of a memory impact, so it may be something you guys want to look into.
I also recall this TGA vs PNG issue being discussed and I thought the conclusion was that at the time (v23.5) that TGA had an advantage. That may have changed and I'll have to look into. PM me links if you find any discussion of TGA vs PNG.

This is a really awesome mod. I really like it! I like how you're thinking "out of the box" ;)

I am having a small issue though, I am not sure if I did something wrong during installation. I can't seem to get it to work 100% with KAS, I can grab the parts, but I can't attach them to anything. Have I done something wrong? And if so, what should I have done? This means I can build the boxsats just fine, but I can't change them while in orbit.

Can someone help me please?

I am having a small issue though, I am not sure if I did something wrong during installation. I can't seem to get it to work 100% with KAS, I can grab the parts, but I can't attach them to anything. Have I done something wrong? And if so, what should I have done? This means I can build the boxsats just fine, but I can't change them while in orbit.

Can someone help me please?

OK, I thought about how you described the situation. It sounds like you've grabbed a BoxSat module and you're right clicking the module to attach it to your BoxSat frame. The BoxSat frame is implemented as a "KAS Part Bay" (same mechanic used by the KAS Container Bay Type A/B part). This means instead of normal attachment process you instead right click on the BoxSat frame and then click the button marked "Store". This will place your module in an open slot on the frame that is "nearest" to your Kerbal. I hope this solves your problem. Please let me know if this does not resolve your issue.

Update time. DasPenguin85's illness was pretty severe and he's going to be out of commission for a while he heals. We'll probably be restarting development in November. Since we won't be doing regular development for a while I'm going to work on a bug fix update for A.02 and try and get BoxSat ready for 0.25.

Have to chime in here with some field reports...

I've modded my .cfg to allow the BoxSat frame to be able to be used with the PackRat rover. It's perfectly sized to fit in under the roof rack, and I use them all the time to store batteries and science parts. So, with that in mind, any chance of making a small Goo Container, Materials Bay, and perhaps a Atmospheric Sampler for use on the ground?

If there's interest in it, I'll share the modded lines for people to add themselves.

Update time. DasPenguin85's illness was pretty severe and he's going to be out of commission for a while he heals. We'll probably be restarting development in November. Since we won't be doing regular development for a while I'm going to work on a bug fix update for A.02 and try and get BoxSat ready for 0.25.

I hope he gets well soon. I love your mod and can't wait to watch your next stream.

Have to chime in here with some field reports...

I've modded my .cfg to allow the BoxSat frame to be able to be used with the PackRat rover. It's perfectly sized to fit in under the roof rack, and I use them all the time to store batteries and science parts. So, with that in mind, any chance of making a small Goo Container, Materials Bay, and perhaps a Atmospheric Sampler for use on the ground?

If there's interest in it, I'll share the modded lines for people to add themselves.

I would be very interested in a PackRat adaptation.

I would be very interested in a PackRat adaptation.

Just add this to the file 62cm_BoxSat_frame, and it'll allow you to plunk it down in one of the six anchor points. Just get close to the front fender and right click it while carrying the frame, then hit "Store". Just like assembly of the rover itself.

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = false
storedSize = 20
attachOnPart = false
bayType = PR_Accessory
bayNode = bottom
bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
}

I'll see if I can get a hold of Orcmaul to see what we need to do to bring the BoxSat up-to-spec with 0.25, if anything. I unfortunately cannot spend any time in KSP at the moment to do play testing and other things related to BoxSat development, so I have to rely on Orcmaul's information for the time being.

I wont go into any extreme detail regarding what happened to me, but for those who are wondering what's going on, I'm recovering from surgery after having appendicitis. That said, I greatly appreciate everyone's understanding & patience with the development delays at the moment :)

I hope you're all doing well, and I'll try to get back in the "dev seat" soonâ„¢

I'll see if I can get a hold of Orcmaul to see what we need to do to bring the BoxSat up-to-spec with 0.25, if anything. I unfortunately cannot spend any time in KSP at the moment to do play testing and other things related to BoxSat development, so I have to rely on Orcmaul's information for the time being.

I wont go into any extreme detail regarding what happened to me, but for those who are wondering what's going on, I'm recovering from surgery after having appendicitis. That said, I greatly appreciate everyone's understanding & patience with the development delays at the moment :)

I hope you're all doing well, and I'll try to get back in the "dev seat" soonâ„¢

oh well get well soon :)

beside RL is more important

@ DasPenguin85 Hope your getting better now and about the mods some people are have a problem with .25, Looks like it don't like TGA format but again it's a hit and miss.

Yeah, I see it. Rexporting the part in Unity fixed it so that's good. I've finished updating the part files for KSP 0.25 and verifying function with KSP 0.25, mechjeb, and KAS. I've also rexported all of the textures as PNGs which shaved install to about 1/4 original size on disk and reduced memory usage by about 70 mb (need to do some more testing on this to confirm). Right now I'm setting up test installs for Remotetech and ActiveTextureManagement. Once I've finished testing the MM configs for those I'll need to test tweakscale, kerbal engineer, and kOS configs. I saw the comments about Packrat compatibility. I'll have to see if I can whip up something for that and confirm it works as intended. So the list of things to do before A.02b is released is getting shorter. Ah, I've just discovered a new way to break KSP. Excuse me while I confirm this and check the bug tracker.

TLDR: BoxSat update for KSP 0.25 is coming soon.

So Remotetech mm file works as desired and the new antenna ranges should be much more interesting. I finished testing the rest of our supported mods before starting on ActiveTextureManagement support. I subsequently spent the rest of the day on ATM. Uh, it seems to work but it's actually using more memory than if BoxSat doesn't use ATM. I'm going to hold back on releasing ATM support until I have some more time to test this. Time to do the packrat config and testing got eaten by ATM testing. Everything else is done and the update is ready to post. I'm just waiting to hear back from DasPenguin so we can get that posted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.