[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

I haven't paid attention to it before, but the Macroni Crossed dipole antenna (the flat 4 sticks one) has a range of 12mil meters for Remote tech 2? So it is an omni antenna that can reach the Mun from kerbin? That..is pretty more than what I expected.

Yup, it can just barely reach Mun. I'll grant you that it's unconventional for the current state of RT balance. I wanted to shake things up a bit. Since it won't maintain a stable connection in Munar orbit and can only reach the nearside of Kerbin from Munar surface (assuming LOS) it's not totally crazy. It does substitute for a lot of directional links in LKO and KSO (is anyone using this acronym yet?). In this context it is unbalanced for the current state of RT but if you don't like that then don't use it in that context. Also, I had a lot of fun playing RT without a commsat network and one crossed dipole landed on Munar nearside.

You can add the scanner Module to any of the trays but you can't really tie it to a part or you just want a tray that scans with no dish as he as said the scansat dish fit nice and even, I was going to try and weld the scan dish to a tray but then you can't really make them look as nice as just adding them to it like we do now and you can grab the scansat scanners so not really seeing what we would gain for the work they would have to do ?

EDIT- If you want the BoxSat ProbeCore to scan it all try this

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 1 //2^0
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
scanName = RADAR Scan
power = 0.1
animationName = Collapse_Antenna
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 2 //2^1
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 1
scanName = SAR Scan
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 24 //2^3 + 2^4
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 1.5
scanName = Multispectral Scan
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 32 //2^5
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 0.1
}
MODULE
{
name = REGO_ModuleResourceScanner
ScannerType = 0
ResourceName = Karbonite
MaxAbundanceAltitude = 500000
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 1
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 2
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 3
ResourceName = Karbonite
}
}

EDIT- To Be on the safe side with Karbonite working with ScanSat better try this one

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_ProbeCore_Module]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 1 //2^0
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
scanName = RADAR Scan
power = 0.1
animationName = Collapse_Antenna
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 2 //2^1
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 1
scanName = SAR Scan
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 24 //2^3 + 2^4
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 1.5
scanName = Multispectral Scan
}
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 32 //2^5
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 12000000
best_alt = 250000
power = 0.1
}
MODULE
{
ScannerType = 376960
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 1
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 2
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 3
ResourceName = Karbonite
}

MODULE
{
ScannerType = 0
ResourceName = Karbonite
}
}

Edited by Mecripp2

Yup, it can just barely reach Mun. I'll grant you that it's unconventional for the current state of RT balance. I wanted to shake things up a bit. Since it won't maintain a stable connection in Munar orbit and can only reach the nearside of Kerbin from Munar surface (assuming LOS) it's not totally crazy. It does substitute for a lot of directional links in LKO and KSO (is anyone using this acronym yet?). In this context it is unbalanced for the current state of RT but if you don't like that then don't use it in that context. Also, I had a lot of fun playing RT without a commsat network and one crossed dipole landed on Munar nearside.

Ah, it is not that big of a problem to me. I can just poke around the MM cfg file to cut it down by half to suit my taste. Just thought that it was a little strange.

Suggestion: Change the battery name to Kerbacell. :D

"Adding K to Every Word." Is that what we're doing here?

We feel that Dura-Fail is a time tested laugh and we like the Dura-Fail brand.

The textures are provided as PNGs so it's relatively simple to edit them. (For personal use only. The license currently does not allow for redistribution.)

During development we spent a fair bit of time debating this name. I opposed the name initally because I'm not a fan of Kerbal Failure Syndrome (the meme that Kerbals are always incompetent) but eventually agreed because the name is really funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly make a shelf with scansat modules to slot in and out and they would only work if the box sat had the big fold out antenna installed

I agree that things like this would be cool. Unfortunately, to do something like this would require a modified ScanSat plugin which is a technical and licensing headache.

The other way that comes to mind is to change their resource requirement to a variant of electric charge with the BoxSat module serving as a capacitor and power converter but this has it's own implications with the ScanSat plugin so it might not work while "on rails".

So I think it's a neat idea but it has a lot of technical challenges and the result is that now you need one extra part to scan.

I enjoy complex systems when they add choices and allow for multiple paths to success. If it some how enhanced the scan or changed the performance in some way but was optional instead of straight prerequisite it would be a more interesting choice. The technical challenges would still need to be solved.

Edit: I composed these as two separate posts and some how they have been concatenated. Please enjoy this extra long post containing two separate replies.

Edited by orcmaul
surprise and alarm

I think perhaps I'm doing something wrong, this mod says it's compatible with RemoteTech2 however, whenever I add a construct a satellite and stick a probe core in one of the boxes and go to launch, it only ever says "Local Control" I'm assuming this has something to do with the MechJeb integration of the core. Is there something that I need to add to the active module manager file, somehow disable ModuleSPU, what am I missing here?? :blush:

I think perhaps I'm doing something wrong, this mod says it's compatible with RemoteTech2 however, whenever I add a construct a satellite and stick a probe core in one of the boxes and go to launch, it only ever says "Local Control" I'm assuming this has something to do with the MechJeb integration of the core. Is there something that I need to add to the active module manager file, somehow disable ModuleSPU, what am I missing here?? :blush:

In the download files, there is a folder Optional ModuleManager Files. In that folder is a RemoteTech_BoxSat.cfg, that file needs to be in your game data folder for it to work with remotetech

In the download files, there is a folder Optional ModuleManager Files. In that folder is a RemoteTech_BoxSat.cfg, that file needs to be in your game data folder for it to work with remotetech

CKAN 1.5.5-0-g0000000

> BoxSat vA.02c

> RemoteTech v1.5.2

This OptionalModuleManagers folder is definitely not included in the version that CKAN is distributing. So that answers that question but also raises "why not?" :confused:

CKAN 1.5.5-0-g0000000

> BoxSat vA.02c

> RemoteTech v1.5.2

This OptionalModuleManagers folder is definitely not included in the version that CKAN is distributing. So that answers that question but also raises "why not?" :confused:

Couldn't tell you :P But its in the manual download if you grab that.

CKAN 1.5.5-0-g0000000

> BoxSat vA.02c

> RemoteTech v1.5.2

This should be my mistake. I'll get on fixing it somehow ASAP...

CKAN 1.5.5-0-g0000000

> BoxSat vA.02c

> RemoteTech v1.5.2

I presume it would be because I haven't done anything to support CKAN usage for BoxSat. We only support manual installation at this time.

I really like this mod, can't play without it anymore. :)

I have two suggestions to make it better:

1) It would be nice if the corners of the frames have gaps in which the RCS thrusters can fit. I just can't get the RCS modules to clip there.

Maybe you can add nodes at the edges and on the thrusters, too while still allowing free surface attachement. (Like the docking ports.)

What I can build:

ZFeZs2y.png

What I want to build:

dD2eqXa.png

2) If you add an attachment node to the bottom of the crossed dispole antenna it would make it easier to place it exactly at the center on the top of the frame.

What do you think about my ideas?

2) If you add an attachment node to the bottom of the crossed dispole antenna it would make it easier to place it exactly at the center on the top of the frame.

Second this. I like to use the cross dipole antenna on top of a tall pole made up with tiny struts as a radio beacon.

I really like this mod, can't play without it anymore. :)

When we made the mod I already knew I liked boxy satellites but I didn't know if the community would. Thank you.

1) It would be nice if the corners of the frames have gaps in which the RCS thrusters can fit. I just can't get the RCS modules to clip there.

Maybe you can add nodes at the edges and on the thrusters, too while still allowing free surface attachement. (Like the docking ports.)

I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason we didn't do this is due to the size of the size0 node. Our parts are fairly small and so the size0 node is actually quite large for our purposes. I'm planning on taking a break from learning Blender this weekend to fix the bipropellant engine and maybe add another prototype or two. If there's time I'll make a prototype MM.cfg so people can try this out. I'm worried about how it might interfere with the main top/bottom nodes so I may have to put them on sideways (like the hatch node). I can't promise KAS support for this though as it'll be experimental.

Sounds reasonable. I'll add it to the list.

P.S. Thank you for including pictures. I love to see pictures of what people do with BoxSat.

Edited by orcmaul

I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason we didn't do this is due to the size of the size0 node.

I just had the idea of a frame with integrated RCS thrusters. You would "just" have to copy the thruster nozzles into the frame model.

As this would be the third frame perhabs you should think about using Firespitter. It allows to have only one part in the editor's part list and switch between part variants in the right-click menu. The B9 mod does that for a lot of parts. [Firespitter doc for modders]

However this would add a dependency you might not want to have.

Sounds reasonable. I'll add it to the list.

Yes! I can't wait for the next release! :)

P.S. Thank you for including pictures. I love to see pictures of what people do with BoxSat.

I built better looking satellites with your mod. Unfortunately I don't have them anymore...

...time to build better ones! ^^

Problem: After i leave game or switch vessels the boxsat box disappears (transparent) anyone know the fix.

I can't recall having experienced such a problem before. I would remove BoxSat from your gamedata and download a new copy of BoxSat just to be sure. Other common problems include more than one copy of module manager installed and having the wrong MM cfgs installed for BoxSat or you are missing a cfg from the optional folder. Otherwise you may need to try a second install of KSP adding mods one at a time until the problem reoccurs. Please let me know how it turns out.

What I want to build:

http://i.imgur.com/dD2eqXa.png

In 0.90, you can use the Editor gadget to move those thrusters exactly where you want them.

Unrelated to that:

Instead of having optional ModuleManager files that users need to manually install, have you thought about using the ":NEEDS[RemoteTech]" (for example) syntax to control whether given modules are installed? Here's a version of the RemoteTech_BoxSat.cfg that I think should work. This would make installs much simpler, and let CKAN do a complete install.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.