[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

For some reasons, batteries modules reduce my performance. There is a slight lag whenever I pull one out of the catalog. And it is fine if I only use a few, but once I use about 2-3 boxes worth of them my memory usage went to hell and game just crash. I took a look at the cfg and doesn't seem like they have anything weird that may cause such a problem.

Note that I do use ATM, and run on openGL. Average memory use is 2.3gb.

For some reasons, batteries modules reduce my performance. There is a slight lag whenever I pull one out of the catalog. And it is fine if I only use a few, but once I use about 2-3 boxes worth of them my memory usage went to hell and game just crash. I took a look at the cfg and doesn't seem like they have anything weird that may cause such a problem.

Note that I do use ATM, and run on openGL. Average memory use is 2.3gb.

I've noticed the editor lag with the batteries too - tends to happen with hi-poly models so I'd assume that's the case

I've noticed the editor lag with the batteries too - tends to happen with hi-poly models so I'd assume that's the case

I thought so too, since there is nothing strange on the logs as far as I have seen either. I guess I will have to cut down on loading so many batteries modules from this one.

Hey there, I just wanted tell the mod author that, as a real life satellite engineer, I think this is pretty cool! If my company could manufacturer spacecraft that were this modular, we'd be able to sell the things for way cheaper than they are. Great work!

This mod is awesome.

Funny side story: I currently have 2 boxsats en route to Duna to serve as my Relay satelites (1 for Duna, 1 for Ike. AnteannaRange, so that's enough). While building them, I saw I had unlocked a new box science part (the accelerometer). I figured, why the hell not, extra science.

It wasn't until after they were already en route to Duna that I launched and tried out the same satelite for the Mun, and remembered that, duh, accelerometers are useless in space. Facepalms all around

is there a easy way to turn the color if the parts a bit darker? its somewhat too bright if you look right from the top of it in the vab

It is just that the VAB light is way to darn bright. Shift click the thing and scroll down to bring the thing lower to the ground where it is less bright.

There are 3 antennas with this mod, but they don't seem to function. You can't extend them in the VAB or out side and when trying to transmit with just them, you get a message there is no antenna.

Also, do the science parts have any advantage other then looks over stock parts? Because They are larger taking a full bay for each sensor. Can they store more then one reading at a time or something?

Love it and can't wait to see how it advances! Aaaand now I'm inspired to build my own tiny-ass box satellite and fire it into space.

But please fix the battery module! Every time I pick it up it eats my ram. All of it - every last drop. And then doesn't let go, leading to me having to reboot my computer.

But please fix the battery module! Every time I pick it up it eats my ram. All of it - every last drop. And then doesn't let go, leading to me having to reboot my computer.

I am unable to reproduce this performance issue that is being described as caused by the battery module. I made a BoxSat with 50 racks of nothing but batteries and my memory usage barely twitched. The only thing that did happen was that it fell over and blew up the pad. So, everyone that is experiencing a performance issue when using the BoxSat battery module please post your mod list and we'll see if there's a common element. I'll keep testing but I don't have a lot of information to go on beyond performance issue when using the battery module.

Edited by orcmaul
Words, how do they work?

I am unable to reproduce this performance issue that is being described as caused by the battery module. I made a BoxSat with 50 racks of nothing but batteries and my memory usage barely twitched. The only thing that did happen was that it fell over and blew up the pad. So, everyone that is experiencing a performance issue when using the BoxSat battery module please post your mod list and we'll see if there's a common element. I'll keep testing but I don't have a lot of information to go on beyond performance issue when using the battery module.

I've just tried a fresh stock install + BoxSat and the battery modules still lag when they are loaded into the editor. I've not checked my RAM usage and I don;t get crashes or anything, but there is definite lag between you selecting the part and it appearing. Mentioned this a few pages back, but from past experience it tends to happen when models have a high poly count - does the battery have a higher count than the other parts?

(snip) Mentioned this a few pages back, but from past experience it tends to happen when models have a high poly count - does the battery have a higher count than the other parts?

The battery module was well within the poly budget we used for all of our models. I'd have to have DasPenguin get me exact numbers but I'm pretty sure the battery module has a lower poly count than several other parts in our mod. My experience has been that draw calls count for a lot more than straight up poly count. The battery module is a single model and therefore only one material so it should be only one draw call. Now it does have an emissive but so do several other parts so if the other parts are fine then I'm still left scratching my head. I've downloaded BoxSat from both Curse and KerbalStuff, built ships with 100 racks, filled them with 400 batteries (this was not fun), and I didn't see any hesitation from the game at any point. The 400th battery performed just as well as the first. So this is why I'm not sure that this is strictly a problem with the battery module itself and I'm trying to see if there are any common threads with other people having problems with the battery module. It will also let me attempt to build a similar KSP setup and see if I can reproduce the problem. Are there any other parts from any other mods causing similar hesitation?

would it be possible to add an attachmentpoint to the bottom of the new engines? i dont use any craft that use a corgobay or something like that so i usually put the sat on top of my command pod and detach it with a decoupler but this always leads to have the engine on top causing to have all indicatores turned around in the wrong way and stuff.... which is very kerbal but not very handy so maybe, you could consider this? :D thanks ^^ also, would help a big deal as the subassembly window always buggers me when an engine is on the "underside" i couldnt save it because it has no attachment point

would it be possible to add an attachmentpoint to the bottom of the new engines? i dont use any craft that use a corgobay or something like that so i usually put the sat on top of my command pod and detach it with a decoupler but this always leads to have the engine on top causing to have all indicatores turned around in the wrong way and stuff.... which is very kerbal but not very handy so maybe, you could consider this? :D thanks ^^ also, would help a big deal as the subassembly window always buggers me when an engine is on the "underside" i couldnt save it because it has no attachment point

You can try this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91616-0-90-BoxSat-vA-02d-Updated-01-13-2015?p=1675941&viewfull=1#post1675941

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.