[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

about quad frames, how about instead of making them back, add nodes to the existing one so that we can stack them side to side too? this way we can put a pay load in center and have even bigger ones if need to?

I would add to add RCS corner nodes to the equipment frame. Also some sort of RCS part that would clip into a corner and be laid out in such a way that it could fit in the middle of 2 stacked boxes.

Also, the node ball on the RCS thrusters is larger in the part so that you can't see the part when trying to rotate it.

Anyone else having issues with Boxsat overheating and exploding

Yes, especially the hatch, if there is something radially mounted to it. In two situations:

1) During load on the launch site (even with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement)

2) If I attempt to use physical time-warp.

Yes, especially the hatch, if there is something radially mounted to it. In two situations:

1) During load on the launch site (even with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement)

2) If I attempt to use physical time-warp.

But are you using the shells?

1F273CA26DFEC90E5E5FAE3ED0F32E34FC27FEAB

Are you using 1.0.3 or 1.0.4? I haven't updated BoxSat yet and the new thermal mechanics mean I probably need to retune BoxSat's thermal settings.

Steam updated me to 1.04 and i made a little lander and it starts smoking and heating up its quite amusing actually will see if I can can grab a screen shot, and after reading the patch notes your spot on they adjusted the thermal settings again

gcELQNX.jpg

Edited by Virtualgenius

First off, I love this mod, thank you for your work in creating and maintaining this!

I have a general question for anyone who can help.

I've got four 'two-frame' commsats lined up in a hull, each attached to their own mini-docking port. My intention was to have a 'planet net to go'. But when I decouple them from the docking port while in orbit, the solar panels automatically open. Sadly, this is before they clear the hull. :( The panels get the satellite stuck inside my craft.

Is there some way to stop them from auto-opening?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

First off, I love this mod, thank you for your work in creating and maintaining this!

I've got four 'two-frame' commsats lined up in a hull, each attached to their own mini-docking port. My intention was to have a 'planet net to go'. But when I decouple them from the docking port while in orbit, the solar panels automatically open. Sadly, this is before they clear the hull. :( The panels get the satellite stuck inside my craft.

forgot the mod's name but are you running a mod that auto deploys them ?

Are you using Mechjeb it has an option to deploy solar panels or this mod

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119559-1-0-2-Automatic-Landing-Gear-Leg-Solar-Panel-Alpha%280-0-4d%29

Edited by Virtualgenius

Thank you, that indeed was part of the issue. In testing a few different scenarios, I learned something new about Mechjeb.

It's safer in this case to leave the 'Auto-deploy solar panels' option off from the start of the launch. (My launch vehicle had panels on it, in addition to the cargo having panels) In some cases it seems to leave that function on even if you unclick the radiobutton after launching.

Woo! Always great to find you're not the only one. Yup I can replicate it. Boxsat frame, hatch, and anything surface attached to the hatch causes it to explode. Though then a station with stock octagonal and a solar panel did the same thing.

Just a rough look at the CFG you need to edit out
thermalMassModifier = 0.025
emissiveConstant = 0.03
//heatConductivity = 0.04

On just about all the parts don't know why he has added that to them.

I'm sorry MeCripp i dont mod mods, so can you explain a little better what exactly i do, thank you in advance

Can you edit a cfg ? you just open them with a text editor like note pad if your using windows.

EDIT- give me a couple of minutes see if can make a patch and you can test it lol.

EDIT- For the Over Heat you can try this patch should help https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/help/BoxSat_OverHeat_Patch.cfg.zip

EDIT- Just unzip and put anywhere in KSP/GameData folder and you should already have ModuleManager *.*.* installed so your good to go.

Edited by Mecripp2

Can you edit a cfg ? you just open them with a text editor like note pad if your using windows.

EDIT- give me a couple of minutes see if can make a patch and you can test it lol.

EDIT- For the Over Heat you can try this patch should help https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/help/BoxSat_OverHeat_Patch.cfg.zip

EDIT- Just unzip and put anywhere in KSP/GameData folder and you should already have ModuleManager *.*.* installed so your good to go.

Awesome it worked thanks

I've tried to put the patchfile in KSP/GameData and it still explodes (specifically, Hatch and Frame, according to flight log)

I've tried to edit it manually by commenting out all the 3 heat related parameters in each part cfg in /GameData/BoxSat.../ and it still explodes. Either it is not related to these 3 parameters or there is something else going on:

//thermalMassModifier = 0.025

//emissiveConstant = 0.03

Edited by includao

I've tried to put the patchfile in KSP/GameData and it still explodes (specifically, Hatch and Frame, according to flight log)

I've tried to edit it manually by commenting out all the 3 heat related parameters in each part cfg in /GameData/BoxSat.../ and it still explodes. Either it is not related to these 3 parameters or there is something else going on:

//thermalMassModifier = 0.025

//emissiveConstant = 0.03

Did you try the patch, I posted ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.