[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

yes I put it in the GameData root folder. do I need to restart a new .craft project file for the changes to apply?

Did you restart KSP?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you edit a cfg ? you just open them with a text editor like note pad if your using windows.

EDIT- give me a couple of minutes see if can make a patch and you can test it lol.

EDIT- For the Over Heat you can try this patch should help https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/help/BoxSat_OverHeat_Patch.cfg.zip

EDIT- Just unzip and put anywhere in KSP/GameData folder and you should already have ModuleManager *.*.* installed so your good to go.

This worked great!

@MeCripp - Confirming that patch works in my case. I had a quad of comsats perched on top of a launcher, and they kept blowing up inside the fairing. A different fairing had no effect.

Unload game | Place patch on \gamedate | restart | ? | Profit! Erm... sucess!

Thanks!

hi there fantastic mod been using it quite a bit lately but was wondering if ckan integration is planed for this beautiful baby

I found it on ckan but cant install as it tells me its out of date ;.;

Edited by hawk_za

hi there fantastic mod been using it quite a bit lately but was wondering if ckan integration is planed for this beautiful baby

I found it on ckan but cant install as it tells me its out of date ;.;

Yeah if the mod could be recommitted to the CKAN database that'd be great.

If you have upgraded KSP to 1.0.4 this mod IS outdated and shouldn't be allowed to be installed on CKAN. When the author fixes the heat issues and releases an update for 1.0.4 compatibility, then it should be updated in CKAN automatically.

• 2 weeks later...
We accept donations and have the paypal link right there on the OP. We've received two donations which is awesome. Thank you donators!. But after doing the math we saw that downloading through Curse could be a way for our users to donate a tiny bit without having to open their wallet. It's not a lot, but we love making stuff and thought that it would be neat if we could show the community how their support indirectly bought us a small amount of cheer. I think the KerbalStuff link will come back eventually because it's nice to have two download links in case one is down.

Let's not argue about Curse in this thread. Anyone that wants to PM me about Curse or our decision to use Curse as our sole download option should feel free to do so. I'm happy to discuss it outside of the BoxSat thread.

So, not arguing about Curse, how is the KerbalStuff link comeback going? I just donated a case of beer to the cause, to fuel your creativity.

I'll also be drinking a beer on you tonight. It wouldn't help you get beer, but I'll be drinking beer. So in the end, everyone is happy.

[...]

Do you really hate Curse more than you love some mods?

Believe it or not, some people do. With a passion.

I won't be drinking a beer tonight, just happily sent it all the dev's way 8O

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I don't want anyone to feel under any obligation to continue this mod, upload it to KerbalStuff, or provide any other kind of favour. I just like the BoxSat, that's all.

Edited by Corax
No pressure intended.

• 3 weeks later...
Throw another voice in the pile that would love to see this maintained on CKAN.

In case all you don't get it let me highlight a couple of things

Quote Originally Posted by orcmaul View Post

We accept donations and have the paypal link right there on the OP. We've received two donations which is awesome. Thank you donators!. But after doing the math we saw that downloading through Curse could be a way for our users to donate a tiny bit without having to open their wallet. It's not a lot, but we love making stuff and thought that it would be neat if we could show the community how their support indirectly bought us a small amount of cheer. I think the KerbalStuff link will come back eventually because it's nice to have two download links in case one is down.

Let's not argue about Curse in this thread. Anyone that wants to PM me about Curse or our decision to use Curse as our sole download option should feel free to do so. I'm happy to discuss it outside of the BoxSat thread.

See anything ? ( Money money money ) thats why it's not on KerbalStuff anymore because of ( money money money ) so do you really think your going to see it on CKAN ? there is no ( Money ) in that.

In case all you don't get it let me highlight a couple of things See anything ? ( Money money money ) thats why it's not on KerbalStuff anymore because of ( money money money ) so do you really think your going to see it on CKAN ? there is no ( Money ) in that.

I'll respect that decision, though I certainly don't like it. It's theirs (yours?) to make.

Cheers. I'll be moving along then. Plenty of other mods around with decent licenses that don't hide behind clicks-for-revenue shenanigans.

Edited by draeath

• 2 weeks later...

@MeCripp, I think you might be blowing that out of proportion just a little bit.

From the text you quoted, the author stated "(snip) I think the KerbalStuff link will come back eventually because it's nice to have two download links in case one is down."

Your interpretation of the snipped portion of the quote was that they're doing this as a money-grab.

Firstly, that statement is unjustified, and the sentiment of it is insulting no matter how it's stated. Heaven forbid someone actually makes money doing something they like [noparse](/s)[/noparse].

Secondly, KSP mod authors probably don't make a useful amount of money (if any) from hosting something solely on Curse.

It's like trying to make money from YouTube ad revenue. It only works if you can guarantee high visit counts per day.

KSP mods don't get high traffic. They might get high download counts, but that's only gained over long periods. Downloads per day are too low for it to pay any more than pennies per week.

If it does turn out to be a money-grab, I'm sure more suitable evidence will show up for it eventually. For now, saying it's a money grab is warp-driving to conclusions.

RE: updating for 1.0.4

It's only been a month and a bit.

Perhaps the author got burned out / bored with KSP, or perhaps they have RL issues. Perhaps it's something else entirely.

They might even be working on new parts or something.

Nobody here knows for sure except the mod author, and it should stay that way unless they decide to share it with us.

Advice on both counts is "Patience, young Patawan."

• 3 weeks later...

RE: updating for 1.0.4

It's only been a month and a bit.

Perhaps the author got burned out / bored with KSP, or perhaps they have RL issues. Perhaps it's something else entirely.

They might even be working on new parts or something.

All of these things happened. I won't get into the personal details but I'll cover the mod development aspects.

Basically thermal stuff is hard. I want parts that burn up during reentry and I've struggled to get the game to do this without a lot of other issues. One of the major problems is that solar panels are far more durable in the atmosphere than I would like and I haven't found a way to change this. They're so durable in fact that they act as air brakes and slow the reentering satellite below the speed at which reentry heating would cause the satellite to burn up. The route I eventually discovered that produced results I liked was to lower the maximum temperatures using values from some research I'd done into high temperature creep (wikipedia link). It turns out this works really well for burning up satellites in the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the low maxtemp makes the temperature overlay always present because ambient temperature is approximately 40% of maxtemp. I figured the constant appearance of overheat warnings would bug people and I couldn't find a way to adjust the threshold for the overlay appearing. My conclusion has been to abandon interesting thermal performance for now and see about getting a working version tested.

Great to see you back, and I'm sure there's people out there that know their way around the stock heating system and are willing to help.

Try Nertea or Streetwind, they've been making the NearFuture reactors and radiators work with the stock heat system, so they should at least have a clue about how to make those solar panels work the way you want them to.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd try normal part temperature limits (1.3k or whatever the smaller probe cores use) emissivity on par with stock solar panels (OX-Stat or smaller non-retractable ones), mid-range part conductivity, high skin to internal conductivity, and mid-low thermal mass.

The is that the part responds somewhat quickly to external temperature influences (thermal mass), just as good as other solar panels at getting rid of heat (emissivity), "okay" at transferring its internal heat to other parts (part conductivity), and the whole part tends to stay at the same temperature (skin-internal conductivity).

Not sure if I forgot any parameters, but that should make a solar panel that isn't hard to burn off if left deployed, but won't show a temperature bar or explode just because it's landed on Eve or some other hot planet or moon (Moho excluded, EVERYTHING'S hot there).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.