[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

• 2 weeks later...

BoxSat a.02f released:

-Updated for KSP 1.0.4.

-Removed thermal mass adjustments.

Side note: We will be returning to more active development soonâ„¢.

Although this is somewhat personal, I feel the fans deserve an explanation - my divorce is winding down, and I'll be moving in 2 days to my new house with my daughter as a full time single dad now. That's about as in depth as I'll go into it publicly, but the "D" word should suffice for explaining things. Thank you all for your patience while I endured what felt like purgatory. Cheers! -J

BoxSat a.02f released:

-Updated for KSP 1.0.4.

-Removed thermal mass adjustments.

Side note: We will be returning to more active development soonâ„¢.

Although this is somewhat personal, I feel the fans deserve an explanation - my divorce is winding down, and I'll be moving in 2 days to my new house with my daughter as a full time single dad now. That's about as in depth as I'll go into it publicly, but the "D" word should suffice for explaining things. Thank you all for your patience while I endured what felt like purgatory. Cheers! -J

Oh Jeeze -- no worries and no explanation needed. *Life* always gets in the way, but thank you for being open about what's going on. I'm sure we all sympathize (some literally).

Looking forward to the new developments!

Standardization across the world is needed, metric system vs imperial, left and right hand drive cars, and date formats all need to be addressed

America tried to convert to metric...but it failed for a few reasons the main one was we need to covert all road signs,package sizes.

First off, don't call an entire country stupid. It's not true, and even if it was, it would still be rude.

Secondly, America uses metric a LOT more than people realize. It's pretty much confined to road, rail, building, and baking measurements. Everything else uses a metric base.

And you can't get a gallon of soda. Only 2L. Seeing as the current soda packaging got popular around the '70's, I'd say that every new technology after Apollo was fully metric and "back-converted" for the sake of consumers.

That's how most engineering in America works. The CAD programs take input in Imperial, internally convert to metric, do the work in metric, then convert back to Imperial before showing the result. Terribly inefficient if a person was doing it, but computers are fast enough that nobody notices. And changing it over would take a lot of money for virtually no benefit.

Do you know how much money it would take to re-tool an entire factory from Imperial to metric? Here's a hint: you might as well build a new factory.

Now can we stop derailing this thread with metric vs imperial stuff that should really belong in the Science labs (and has been discussed to death there, too)?

Besides, date format has nothing to do with standard vs metric AFAIK. And if it does, it's still derailing the thread.

Edited by SciMan

What I would love to see is one or two new parts with greater rack capacity. Four slots is not enough sometimes, and it's less aesthetically pleasing to stack two boxes on each other. Perhaps a 6-rack and a 10-rack piece.

(How's that? No BS. Back on track!)

Perhaps we don't need more slots. Instead, go with more cubes, following the cubesat 2u, 3u, and 6u ideas.

If you absolutely positively need more slots, perhaps half-slot variants of the probe core and MechJeb modules could be higher in the tech tree?

Maybe a reduced-torque reaction wheel module and a half-capacity battery module as well, to round out the list? That would leave 2 slots for things like propulsion and/or experiments, too.

If half-slot modules aren't possible, perhaps modules that integrate functions from multiple other modules? (ex. probe core and MechJeb, reaction wheels + batteries). People can already combine the functions with MM patches, but it would look better with dedicated modules. And of course, the combination modules would be later in the tech tree than any of their components, as well as probably not being as good at either job as the dedicated ones (jack of all, master of none).

Yea, it occurred to me after I had posted my last message that I could use the existing parts to get the same functionality I wanted. All I'd need to do is create a MM patch to stretch the Y direction of the existing box by 50% opr more, then "add" more rack connection nodes as necessary. If the texture looks wrong I could technically just squish the existing texture and save a new copy, making it distorted, but once applied to the stretched box it would "go back to normal" so to speak. So... we actually may not need new boxes with more slots after all. Any fan (like me) could make them using MM once we get some personal time to do so.

You know what would be neat, one of those massive net dishes like recently launched on Morleos-3.

I can only find low detail renders of this antenna. Do you have any high quality (2MP+) pictures?

Our planned parts list is pretty solid and does include a couple more antenna. I'm also hoping we'll be back in production mode soon.

• 2 weeks later...

That first image is just wonderful. I would absolutely adore an expansion animation for that style of antenna. The neat thing is, that zig zag kind of frame would likely work just fine as a static texture pasted onto a transparent cylinder, because as it expanded, the angle of the strut connections would realistically expand.

This addon seems to be broken. It freezes my loading bar at BoxSatAlpha/RCS/RCS_Tri_Small/RCS_Tri_Small please advise.

Plan A: Without knowing the entire situation of your KSP install I recall that this typically happens to me when I am out of memory/too many mods. Please try installing boxsat to a clean copy of KSP to verify.

Plan B: delete GameData/BoxSatAlpha/RCS/RCS_Tri_Small.cfg and see if it works. If that fixes the problem then maybe your boxsat download or install is bad and you should download and reinstall. If this just moves the problem to a different file then I think that says plan A is more likely.

Plan C: let me know that none of that helped and we'll proceed to looking at the various KSP log files. (it would be helpful if you include those in the "none of that helped" reply)

Hope that helps.

I had the same issue today, just tested by removing the cfg file and no more error.

Update: Checked if it was a corrupt ckan install or not by downloading from curse. Same issue points to the cfg file for BoxSatAlpha/RCS/RCS_Tri_Small/RCS_Tri_Small please advise.

Edited by Kerbal007
Update

I had the same issue today, just tested by removing the cfg file and no more error.

Update: Checked if it was a corrupt ckan install or not by downloading from curse. Same issue points to the cfg file for BoxSatAlpha/RCS/RCS_Tri_Small/RCS_Tri_Small please advise.

I have some vague recollection of getting the same error a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that was due to out of memory/too many mods.

Since it seems like we're on plan C I'll need your logs <insert settlers of catan joke here>.

I'll check some things out on my end as well. There isn't anything complicated about the RCS part. I've tried mangling a working install in various ways to reproduce the freeze on load screen you're describing but so far it just doesn't load the broken part.

I need more information. Send log files.

Bonus shot-in-the-dark answer: Make sure you don't have multiple modulemanager dlls.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.