[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to do a launch similar to the SpaceX/Orbcomm launch with BoxSat, but they didn't allow surface attachment. Whipped up this little MM config, thought other people might find it useful too.

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_Frame]
{
    %node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.3125, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0
    @attach_rules = 1, 1, 1, 1, 0
}

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_PayloadFrame]
{
}

Edited by ChainsDD

On 1/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, ChainsDD said:

I wanted to do a launch similar to the SpaceX/Orbcomm launch with BoxSat, but they didn't allow surface attachment. Whipped up this little MM config, thought other people might find it useful too.

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_Frame]
{
}

@PART[62cm_BoxSat_PayloadFrame]
{
}

Hey Chains, this is _exactly_ what I'd love to do. However I'm newb enough to not understand how to actually use this code. I do have module manager installed, and I'm sure its as simple as dropping the text snippet in somewhere but if you have any pointers.... that'd be awesome.

18 hours ago, ShakataGaNai said:

Hey Chains, this is _exactly_ what I'd love to do. However I'm newb enough to not understand how to actually use this code. I do have module manager installed, and I'm sure its as simple as dropping the text snippet in somewhere but if you have any pointers.... that'd be awesome.

Create a new file, i.e: boxsat_sfc_fix.cfg and just past that in there. Then drop that file in the boxsat folder :)

• 2 months later...

A test of Basic SCANSAT... 

added some red flashers to make it easier to find when on EVA on the dark side.  Also scaled down some lights and inserted them in the frame to light the work area.

From Top to bottom the racks are stacked as follows:

1. Battery

2. Battery

3. Battery

4. battery

5. Blank LRU with 2 RTG placed inside. (not much power but it will keep the basic probe operational on extended dark side operations.)

6. Probe Core

7.Reaction Wheels

8.Xenon Tanks

9.IX-7212 - Sunrise Ion Engine

Radial Mounts include:

SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor

SCAN Multispectral Sensor

Marconi XDP-2500 Dipole

3xBoxsat Fixed Solar Panels

2xRed NavLight

2xIlluminator Mk2 (scaled to 10%)

And the decoupler that is forgot to remove after hyper editing it into orbit for the photo shoot. :blush:

Power Produced:

(Solar) 1.95

(RTG) 0.24

Power Consumption:

(IX-7212) 8.097

(Core parts - Probe Core, Reaction Wheels, AMPYear overhead.) 0.1

(Both SCSANSat parts) 1.1

(Lights) 0.05

(MAX LOAD) 9.347

Power Storage:

(Total) 850

The RTG will keep the Sat operational indefinitely on minimal power.

However even in Direct Sunlight the Ion Engine will Drain the system.  Therefor extended burns must be planned to allow for recharge on the batteries.  I have another version using extending solar that will provide much better power, but I opted for the less efficient design just to test it out for a proof of concept. The Folding Solar only brings the Solar Power up to 4.55, so still not enough to power the Ion Engine.   Could easily redesign this to make it so that the Solar power will meet the needs of the engine however.  Just need to tack on a few more solar panels, but my plan was to see how small and compact a SCANSAT system could be made and still be viable.

Spoiler

Some basic over all views...

Screenshot%202016-03-12%2012.43.33.png

Screenshot%202016-03-12%2012.43.45.png

And some shots to show off the Dark Side Capabilities...

Screenshot%202016-03-12%2012.45.47.png

Screenshot%202016-03-12%2012.46.05.png

Screenshot%202016-03-12%2012.58.31.png

Short video clip..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75023494/Kerbal%20Space%20Program%202016-03-12%2012_44_42.mp4

In conclusion a few requests..

1) make an empty version of all the LRU trays so we have more variety in the LRUs we piece together.  And make the trays "hollow" so placing parts in them is easier.   release the basic LRU as a public domain mesh so other moders can easily make new LRUs as add-ons to this mod.

2) make the handles on the LRUs be "ladders" so EVA Kerbals can "Grab" them and hold on.  Fidgeting with RCS backpack controls is a pain while trying to replace parts while on EVA.

3) make attach nodes on the sides so we can easily snap parts to the center of the rack.  Things like antennas and solar panels will be easier to get centered If the user wishes.

4) make some purpose built lights..  both for "running" lights and like I have done for LRU lighting.  many light mods out there but if there were some purpose made that fit the racks better that would be nice. 

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DigitalProeliator said:

Should be no issue since there is no DLL files or wheels. They are the only kind of mods having issues atm.

I'll give it a shot this evening and post a trip report ASAP.

Edit: Well, I would if the download link on Curse was working...

Edited by RabidMonkey

While the download from Curse wasn't working, I was able to find a .zip of the latest version - A.02f - on another site and install that. Confirmed that everything seems to work exactly as expected. Bring on the tiny satellites for 1.1!

Edited by RabidMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

yup, can confirm it loads fine in KSP v1.1 release - put together a simple cube and fired off its engines on the pad. Of course, issues may pop up during actual use but you can at least load the pack into the game with no issues and test whatever parts you want to utilize.

Until some all-encompassing update hits I'll be sure to post here whatever fixes I need to implement for issues I find

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎19 at 7:24 PM, Alvargon said:

Are this mod still alive?

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎25 at 10:24 PM, Gaiiden said:

yup, can confirm it loads fine in KSP v1.1 release - put together a simple cube and fired off its engines on the pad. Of course, issues may pop up during actual use but you can at least load the pack into the game with no issues and test whatever parts you want to utilize.

Until some all-encompassing update hits I'll be sure to post here whatever fixes I need to implement for issues I find

I fear this mod author may be officially on hiatus.  His profile indicates no forum login since Nov 2015, and I checked the last four pages of this thread and performed text searches for his name, with no hits as far back as early July 2015.  Given the explicitly-announced changes in v1.1.x requiring recompiles, I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone who's already taken the torch on this awesome little mod, or at least performed a caretaker recompile.  It would be nice to see this on Spacedock again.  :'(

12 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Not working in version 1.1.2

That's bad :(. I'm glad now that I've stuck to 1.1.0. This is one of my favorites mods, it blends very well if DMagic Orbital Science.

2 hours ago, Irenicus said:

Not working in version 1.1.2... Not working with RSS+RO :( It is need update....

What doesn't work??? Not saying it does, but 'not working' doesn't mean much. It's possible just a cfg edit is needed via MM.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

There are no DLL's in this pack so nothing has to be recompiled its a parts only pack, the cfg's files would need to be modified to add the new features like tags but for all intents and purposes it should load fine as is just make sure you use the newest module manager 

An update for KSP v1.1.X is coming.  XCOM: Long War and research for other projects is soaking up what would otherwise be my development time.  I'm way behind on the BoxSat thread.  Are there any major issues I need to address during testing?  I saw some statements about RSS+RO not being compatible but no specifics so I have no way of knowing what sort of problem to look for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.