[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

@orcmaul I'm playing with 30/40 mods on 1.1.0 64bits and haven't had a problem. Haven't unlock everything from every mod yet, but I think there won't be any problem. And I wouldn't expect it to change on 1.1.2.

So, besides the RSS+RO problem, it should be OK.

46 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

@orcmaul Are you taking over for this mod?  Does this mean that we might be moving to another forum thread soon?  Or even a Spacedock release?  (I ask for purposes of keeping my bookmarks up to date.)

:D

Read the included ReadMe.txt.  You'll find me in the credits.  

In other news I broke Unity when I tried to install v5.whatever on my mac.  I made some attempts at fixing it and then moved on to installing Unity on my windows pc.  I haven't tried to move my project files over to see if they're still usable but if not I'll have to reimport the whole mod into a new unity project.  Not the end of the world but it is a fair amount of importing and tweaking so let's all hope that I can move the existing project over.  

1 hour ago, orcmaul said:

:D

Read the included ReadMe.txt.  You'll find me in the credits.  

In other news I broke Unity when I tried to install v5.whatever on my mac.  I made some attempts at fixing it and then moved on to installing Unity on my windows pc.  I haven't tried to move my project files over to see if they're still usable but if not I'll have to reimport the whole mod into a new unity project.  Not the end of the world but it is a fair amount of importing and tweaking so let's all hope that I can move the existing project over.  

Fair enough, though you might note that your name is already in the credits as to the CKAN metadata.  I'm in the process of consolidating several of my own personal modlists (numbering more than 400 by my estimate, dating back to v0.25) into a giant spreadsheet.  I've discussed sharing my info with the CKAN team for metadata purposes.  For my own personal use, I also intend to incorporate info about manual-install non-CKAN mods, of course, but for now I'm only 20% of the way through the CKAN portion -- I'm just sifting through the index in alphabetical order, and now I'm in the C's (I started two weeks ago, to give you an idea.)  I'm just gathering preliminary info at this stage, in a few weeks, perhaps a month, I'll be ready to start loadtesting and install-testing mods, but I haven't installed this mod yet.  It's on my list because I fell in love with it originally back in v1.0.4 according to my notes.  :)

Which is why I hadn't seen the readme yet.  Given that this actual thread is created by someone else (someone whose last login was November 2015) was why I generally thought you were second-seat rather than original creator.  My apologies.  :)  Not an excuse, merely an explanation as to how someone reasonable could presume incorrectly.

That said, in this thread, I'd already seen your posts in this thread, so I knew your involvement to be substantial already.  Hence my actual question as to whether you were taking over as lead modder.  My other questions remain unanswered, however, good sir.  First, I'd be really excited as to a Spacedock release (yes, I see the Curse link.)  And second, I was curious as to a new thread, since only a forum moderator or the original poster can modify / edit a forum OP (such as with updated download links, version release notices, etc.)

19 hours ago, MisterFister said:

(snip)

And second, I was curious as to a new thread, since only a forum moderator or the original poster can modify / edit a forum OP (such as with updated download links, version release notices, etc.)

Ah, I misunderstood.  DasPenguin will update the OP when the new update is published.  

@orcmaul If i may suggest, it's possible to inclue in the next update a modification for the probe core? It will be nice to have some part of it sticking out of the frame like the since experiments. This way it will be accessible for right clicking and opening the menu. Everytime I make a multiple satellite launch I have to put an MJ on it just to rename it after. Other options from the right click menu will also be available as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome mod, my only issue with it is that it is impossible to put a decoupler below the engines, otherwise, love it.

EDIT: found out how to do it: Just add to the following files:

GameData\BoxSatPrototypes\PayloadFrame\62cm_BoxSat_LFOEngine_PayloadModule.cfg
GameData\BoxSatPrototypes\PayloadFrame\62cm_BoxSat_MPEngine_PayloadModule.cfg

...add in Text editor following line:
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.275, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

below the:
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.275, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0 - line

Will there be a 1.1.2 version ?

EDIT: - Seems to be working with 1.1.2

Edited by Grunf911
Updated

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi guys am have to add that i am so glad to see work happening on this mod it seems satellite parts are hard to come by

if i may be soo bold as to request a ckan update for version 1.2 when it releases as it makes life soo much easier

ps you guys rock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, DigitalProeliator said:

Well this mod is just a parts pack so should be fine with the new patch with the exception of the antennas because of the new network stuff. Is the original mod creator still around? Haven't see them post for a while.

someone can give everyone a module manager patch for the antenna stuff? then we would all be happy :D

Well since no one else has posted a fix I'll link to my own tweak file for Boxsat. It has a few other small changes like a small light added to the frames, and a few extra nodes, but most importantly the antenna will have proper range. I didn't make them brake when deployed as that appears to mess with animations and that's a bit out of my expertise. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3lsojo6lqf4rlo/BoxSat_MM_Tweaks.cfg?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

since people seem interested (and I've always liked this mod), I can give this mod a thorough going over tomorrow and bring it fully up to date.

Actually, i tweaked it in different aspects. So the weights, costs, antenna ranges. now it fits to a lightweight, compact, but a bit more expensive satellite box. Your overhaul will be welcome @Deimos Rast .

3 hours ago, LeLeon said:

Actually, i tweaked it in different aspects. So the weights, costs, antenna ranges. now it fits to a lightweight, compact, but a bit more expensive satellite box. Your overhaul will be welcome @Deimos Rast .

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Right now, I'm thinking more of a "just an essentials" upgrade than a balance.pass, but I will of course have stock parts open to compare things to. IIRC there is also a KIS patch that might need a rewrite too.

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Right now, I'm thinking more of a "just an essentials" upgrade than a balance.pass, but I will of course have stock parts open to compare things to. IIRC there is also a KIS patch that might need a rewrite too.

First: i used  www.dropbox.com/s/m3lsojo6lqf4rlo/BoxSat_MM_Tweaks.cfg?dl=0  from user @DigitalProeliator as base for his light source, nodes and antenna functionality.

I changed for my game following settings on parts:

Spoiler

62cm_BoxSat_PayloadFrame.cfg
cost = 320 //400 (just a alu case)
category = Structural
mass = 0.022 //0,05 (a tiny open box without bottom)

62cm_BoxSat_Xe_Tank_Module.cfg
cost = 2600 // 600 (Xenon gas itself costs 2000)

62cm_BoxSat_Battery_Module.cfg
category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Fixed_SolarPanel.cfg
category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Folding1x3_SolarPanel.cfg
category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Frame.cfg
mass = 0.025 //0.05
category = Structural
cost = 350 // 400

62cm_BoxSat_ReactionWheel_Module.cfg
mass = 0.008 // 0.005 (pretty sure, metal wheels inside RW module weight more than a case with barometer)

RCS_Tri_Small.cfg
cost = 100 // low power and 3 way

62cm_BoxSat_ScienceAccelerometer_Module.cfg
TechRequired = spaceExploration // electronics (higher than stock counterparts, not too high)
cost = 1300 // 6500 (utopic before, stock part costs 900)
mass = 0.006 // 0.01 (stock part 0,005)

62cm_BoxSat_ScienceBarometer_Module.cfg
TechRequired = spaceExploration // advExploration (higher than stock counterparts, not too high)
cost = 600 // 3800 (utopic before, stock part costs 300)
mass = 0.006 // 0.005 (stock part 0.005)

62cm_BoxSat_ScienceGravioli_Module.cfg
mass = 0.006 // 0.005 (stock part 0.005)

62cm_BoxSat_ScienceThermomometer_Module.cfg
cost = 500 // 1400 (stock part costs 200)
mass = 0.006 // 0.005 (stock part 0.005)

Antenna_HingedDish1.cfg
category = Communication
cost = 2600 // 650 (too cheap for chosen antenna range and relay function)
mass = 0.025 // 0.03 (just a small dish)
antennaType = RELAY
antennaPower = 10000000000 // (10 G)

Antenna_Tape1.cfg
cost = 1600 // 500
category = Communication
antennaType = DIRECT
antennaPower = 1500000000 // (1.5 G 4 antenna sticks version)

Antenna_Tape2.cfg
antennaType = DIRECT
antennaPower = 500000 // (500k single version)
category = Communication

Edited by LeLeon

37 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

First: i used  www.dropbox.com/s/m3lsojo6lqf4rlo/BoxSat_MM_Tweaks.cfg?dl=0  from user @DigitalProeliator as base for his light source, nodes and antenna functionality.

I changed for my game following settings on parts:

Reveal hidden contents

62cm_BoxSat_PayloadFrame.cfg

cost = 320 //400

category = Structural

mass = 0.022 //0,05 (a tiny open box without bottom)

62cm_BoxSat_Xe_Tank_Module.cfg

cost = 2600 // 600 (Xenon gas itself costs 2000)

62cm_BoxSat_Battery_Module.cfg

category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Fixed_SolarPanel.cfg

category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Folding1x3_SolarPanel.cfg

category = Electrical

62cm_BoxSat_Frame.cfg

mass = 0.025 //0.05

category = Structural

cost = 350 // 400

62cm_BoxSat_ReactionWheel_Module.cfg

mass = 0.008 // 0.005 (pretty sure, metal wheels inside RW module weight more than a case with barometer)

I'm working on this now. Currently finished all of the BoxSatAlpha parts, except the Communications Dishes. Do you (or anyone) have any opinions about those? Otherwise I'm going to load it up into the game, look at the part models vis-a-vis stock comm dishes, squint at them and say "yeah that looks like that" and call it done.:D (And naturally rebalance it when someone more informed comes along to set me straight.) I should admit I'm not the cleverest of kerbs when it comes to the technical sorts of things - I just have a lot of free time on my hands.

Regarding your changes: I have most of those. I like the RX weight change, might increase it some more even! I'm currently thinking Payload category for Payload frames, and similar things.

Another thing: this mod currently comes with two probe cores, but one is disabled by default (with an optional patch to enable it). I'm reenabling it, but giving it more functionality (before it just got a 1>3 SAS increase). Now it's akin to the OKTO1 > OKTO2 changes with KerbNet, plus bigger batteries, more energy efficient Reaction Wheels, better Hibernation and more energy efficient Command module, plus the SAS increase. Costs more though (1400 vs 900 iirc, probably still cheap). Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

I'm working on this now. Currently finished all of the BoxSatAlpha parts, except the Communications Dishes. Do you (or anyone) have any opinions about those? Otherwise I'm going to load it up into the game, look at the part models vis-a-vis stock comm dishes, squint at them and say "yeah that looks like that" and call it done.:D (And naturally rebalance it when someone more informed comes along to set me straight.) I should admit I'm not the cleverest of kerbs when it comes to the technical sorts of things - I just have a lot of free time on my hands.

Regarding your changes: I have most of those. I like the RX weight change, might increase it some more even! I'm currently thinking Payload category for Payload frames, and similar things.

Another thing: this mod currently comes with two probe cores, but one is disabled by default (with an optional patch to enable it). I'm reenabling it, but giving it more functionality (before it just got a 1>3 SAS increase). Now it's akin to the OKTO1 > OKTO2 changes with KerbNet, plus bigger batteries, more energy efficient Reaction Wheels, better Hibernation and more energy efficient Command module, plus the SAS increase. Costs more though (1400 vs 900 iirc, probably still cheap). Thoughts?

@Deimos Rast I decided payload frame not to do into payload for the very limited use , so also the decoupler hatch in structural, not in payload. They are on par with normal frame and hatch in structural.

now, i'm ready with my config settings. hopefullly i havn't messed something up. I decided to give the boxsat a relay too, it fits so well there. :D

@ probe core. i tried it with upgraded core, but doesn't fit well there. then i kicked this config and put sas=3 into game. but more batt, kerbnet would make a difference and give it a right to exist. for the light weight and the upgrades  over okto a price of 1800-2000 is okay, too.

Edited by LeLeon

1nWDI8I.jpg

Thoughts?

The engine on the left is the MonoPropellant; right is the LFO. Plumes are the stock Puff for MonoProp and the...RAPIER... closed cycle for the LFO. This RAPIER FX is the blue one, but the air breathing mode apparently has a redder one I might try (I'm trying to match the plume to the paint job on the engine, which is red/blue:D). The trick is to find a stock plume that supports 4 thrust transforms - you can see it better on the right, but each nozzle now has it's own plume. Pretty happy with how the two turned out, for the most part, although to be fair I forget what the old plumes looked like.:rolleyes:

I'll admit, the MonoProp plume in comparison seems a tad beefy in the image. By itself, it's not too bad though. I have the Engine Lighting mod installed, so that might affect things in the picture (highlighting the MonoProp plume).

In short, I converted the engines over from the old ModuleEngines to the newer ModuleEnginesFX and added entirely new engine effects. For science.

Oh, and the configs are done, and I tested everything successfully. Writing the changelog now.

The only problem I had was when I attempted to convert ModuleAnimateGeneric to ModuleDeployableAntenna on the antennas. As such, it still uses the old way, and thus they are impervious to wind forces at present. The upside is it should help with RemoteTech if you use it.:wink:

Expect good things soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.