[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

With all your mods now, could you maybe make a Icon for the PartCatalog ? All your parts are already nicely sorted by PartCatalog but just with a "ugly" USI written and no nice icon :D

I should really take care of that... folks have made them in the past but I lost a bunch of PMs...

This looks amazing RoverDude!! How do you keep coming up with these awesome mods? Will this be able to be used to deliver MKS modules to non atmospheric bodies?

Yes, this will fit MKS modules :) Working on some other stuff at the moment specifically around delivery systems, considering the best way to deliver and drop MKS modules.

Yes, this will fit MKS modules :) Working on some other stuff at the moment specifically around delivery systems, considering the best way to deliver and drop MKS modules.

You're a legend! I have just tested it and apart from some minor clipping they fit perfectly, this is awesome as I have recently made a new strict career save and I want to get a few MKS bases up on the moons in Kerbals SOI and need a cost effective way of landing everything rather than using the expensive methods that I used to use in my classic career save up to now.

You're a legend! I have just tested it and apart from some minor clipping they fit perfectly, this is awesome as I have recently made a new strict career save and I want to get a few MKS bases up on the moons in Kerbals SOI and need a cost effective way of landing everything rather than using the expensive methods that I used to use in my classic career save up to now.

Thanks ;) the clipping issue is on my todo list for FTT. But one thing I want to have is an easy way of doing vertical placement of modules, I just need to figure out the best way of handling that.

Thanks ;) the clipping issue is on my todo list for FTT. But one thing I want to have is an easy way of doing vertical placement of modules, I just need to figure out the best way of handling that.

An IR hinge might work, in fact I'm going to try that now, although the landing legs might not be long enough to fold out the module whilst landed.....

An IR hinge might work, in fact I'm going to try that now, although the landing legs might not be long enough to fold out the module whilst landed.....

The idea is that it should not require IR... there should be an easy module delivery system to handle this.

I am currently having a play around with this, the clipping (I assume it's the clipping) makes the ship break up when you operate the cargo bay doors with an MKS module attached inside to a large stack decoupler. Re placement, I have just downloaded Lazors robot arm and am about to test if it can successfully remove mis modules from the hold when attached to the marked ring above the command pod.

Edited by SP_S6
autocorrect error

I am currently having a play around with this, the clipping (I assume it's the clipping) makes the ship break up when you operate the cargo bay doors with an MKS module attached inside to a large stack decoupler. Re placement, I have just downloaded Lazors robot arm and am about to test if it can successfully remove mis modules from the hold when attached to the marked ring above the command pod.

I think that I will chalk this up as a success!

Start

00000440.png

First out..

00000438.png

And.... two down

00000439.png

Edited by SP_S6
new screenshot

Finally i have managed to fly these bastards. DavonTCS and TAC-Fuelbalancer help a lot... I love the textures on all of your mods rover, though the white circle on top of the command pod isn't placed in the middle.

Another weird thing are the visual effects of the RCS ... they flash the whole monitor and cause massive lags.

http://img4web.com/view/S48GEY

Edited by funk

Finally i have managed to fly these bastards. DavonTCS and TAC-Fuelbalancer help a lot... I love the textures on all of your mods rover, though the white circle on top of the command pod isn't placed in the middle.

Another weird thing are the visual effects of the RCS ... they flash the whole monitor and cause massive lags.

http://img4web.com/view/S48GEY

For the latter... you use MechJeb correct?

Usually I see that with the MJ RCS balancer

I use MJ for Surfaceinfo only...

I tried to use RCS for testing on Kerbin... maybe its because the atmosphere? But didn't see this before, usually i don't use rcs on Kerbin ;-).

Edit: It was my fault.... RCS Balancer was toggled somehow... thx for help...

Edited by funk

IMHO the propfans shouldn't be in the game. There is no precedent for them in real life, so I think that the propfans should be powered by liquid fuel instead. Otherwise, you just made my life a whole lot easier :)

IMHO the propfans shouldn't be in the game. There is no precedent for them in real life, so I think that the propfans should be powered by liquid fuel instead. Otherwise, you just made my life a whole lot easier :)

Actually... electric powered ducted fans are kinda a real thing ;)

eads_e-fan_2013Paris_480x320.jpg

The above is electric, but if the question of scale comes up - these are powered by gas turbines. FTT swaps out the power source from a combustion generator for the nuclear reactor. Which is fine, since in this sample the fuel is not a propellant, it just spins the fan blades.

Bell_X-22_side.jpg

Edited by RoverDude

Probably in phase 3.

I kid you not.

Hey RoverDude. Just tested your mod a few days to go, and I need to say it's a pretty good mod. There's nothing unfinished and it's a lot of fun. I've got a suggestion: The SAS modules are getting kinda weak when building bigger ships, is there a mod which uses the engines to steer the ship or would you mind making them stronger in the next update?

Another thing. You said you are working on something new where you can grab and attach stuff like in KAS. Have you already got a release date or is it possible to test it? Don't hurry, please. Your mods are great and you've got a lot of them, so take your time to make good updates.

Hey RoverDude. Just tested your mod a few days to go, and I need to say it's a pretty good mod. There's nothing unfinished and it's a lot of fun. I've got a suggestion: The SAS modules are getting kinda weak when building bigger ships, is there a mod which uses the engines to steer the ship or would you mind making them stronger in the next update?

Another thing. You said you are working on something new where you can grab and attach stuff like in KAS. Have you already got a release date or is it possible to test it? Don't hurry, please. Your mods are great and you've got a lot of them, so take your time to make good updates.

I tend to toss on more of the control units, you can also supplement with higher powered units as well. These things do NOT turn on a dime ;)

RE GrabbyStuff... still a WIP in progress. It will be a very modest first release so do not even remotely expect a full on KAS replacement... basically grab stuff, attach stuff, use a 3D printer to spit out parts (the latter is a major difference from the use of KAS containers, and among some innovations I have in mind).

No winches, no containers, no struts, no pipes. At least not initially. Granted, my preference remains for the KAS license to change to the lovely GPL one we had for like... two days (you can see this on KospY's github). that allows us to innovate without fragmentation (and no, I don't do work for closed source projects). But barring that, we'll have to innovate on our own.

I tend to toss on more of the control units, you can also supplement with higher powered units as well. These things do NOT turn on a dime ;)

RE GrabbyStuff... still a WIP in progress. It will be a very modest first release so do not even remotely expect a full on KAS replacement... basically grab stuff, attach stuff, use a 3D printer to spit out parts (the latter is a major difference from the use of KAS containers, and among some innovations I have in mind).

No winches, no containers, no struts, no pipes. At least not initially. Granted, my preference remains for the KAS license to change to the lovely GPL one we had for like... two days (you can see this on KospY's github). that allows us to innovate without fragmentation (and no, I don't do work for closed source projects). But barring that, we'll have to innovate on our own.

Good. That seems like a good idea. So you can use the 3D printer to print stuff that is little enough and you can attach it somewhere? If so, that's great!

So, if I understood that correctly, basically everyone can contribute to the mod? I need to learn modding :P

Good. That seems like a good idea. So you can use the 3D printer to print stuff that is little enough and you can attach it somewhere? If so, that's great!

So, if I understood that correctly, basically everyone can contribute to the mod? I need to learn modding :P

Anyone can send a pull request, just make sure it works ;)

There's not really a lot of overlap between KAS's struts and the grab/attach mechanic. With GrabbyStuff for grab/attach, ActiveStruts for strut ends, we can cover most of the single-ship use cases of KAS. It wouldn't be too hard for someone else to do containers with a branch of Hangar, also under a friendly license. It's one of the other beauties of good licensing: it's easier to build the system you need out of pieces built by different people.

There's not really a lot of overlap between KAS's struts and the grab/attach mechanic. With GrabbyStuff for grab/attach, ActiveStruts for strut ends, we can cover most of the single-ship use cases of KAS. It wouldn't be too hard for someone else to do containers with a branch of Hangar, also under a friendly license. It's one of the other beauties of good licensing: it's easier to build the system you need out of pieces built by different people.

Exactly. GrabbyStuff actually covers the container concept with an alternate mechanic. ActiveStruts could be modified to handle fuel lines, and Bob's your uncle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.